Profile for LuLu > Reviews

Content by LuLu

LuLu (Ayrshire)

Forgotten Voices of the Great War: A New History of WWI in the Words of the Men and Women Who Were There  (Forgotten Voices/the Great War)
Forgotten Voices of the Great War: A New History of WWI in the Words of the Men and Women Who Were There (Forgotten Voices/the Great War)
by Max Arthur
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 21 Jan 2008
I am a social history student and a great war fanatic. I found this book extremely overrated. I bought it and read it cover to cover in a day, the content is good, primary sources etc. It really does sum up the experiences of life during the war by the people there. However, there is no analysis whatsoever, it's basically a skilful collaboration of sources. So from the point of view of a budding historian, all it is worth is some quotes for some essays. Anyone here could go in the archives of the IWM and pick up these sources themselves. All Max Arthur has did is put them in a book. Not impressed!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 2:43 PM BST

Sociology: Making Sense of Society: 3rd
Sociology: Making Sense of Society: 3rd
by Ian Marsh
Price: 28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The closest thing to perfect in the domain of the introductory textbook, 3 May 2007
It is a rare occasion when I rate a book five stars but I was very very impressed by Marsh and Keating's work. I tend to find introductory level textbooks bland and uninspiring but the writers are both informative and imaginative. These skills are displayed when they accurately outlined the major theoretical approaches and contemporary influences within sociology, and they used modern day examples and illustrative points to add that certain "pizazz" to their analysis. I think it was this that truly did it for me, so to speak.

I would recommend this to a sociology student or a general enthusiast!

Sociology Themes and Perspectives
Sociology Themes and Perspectives
by Michael Haralambos

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 May 2007
I regret to inform the reader that this book was not up to much at all. It's a bog standard sociology book that appears just to regurgitate the same old information that we already know! I thought that the layout was very inaccessible also and jumps backwards and forwards between perspectives. This lack of structure was both confusing and irritating. However, I did like some of it. I believed that they made the sections on work and media interesting to read.

History of Modern Europe, Volume 2: From the French Revolution to the Present
History of Modern Europe, Volume 2: From the French Revolution to the Present
by John Merriman

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Students!, 27 Nov 2006
I have rated this item 5 stars! Merriman's book has proven to be one of the best purchases I have ever made! I am a first year student at university and this book has helped me wondefully in my study of European History 1870-1945. Merriman has broken down the topic areas into "easy to manage" chunks, which has made reading it an absolute pleasure and it is easy to find information! Absolutely ideal for students or those who have a passion for history!