Profile for A. Logan > Reviews

A. Logan (UK)

Vi
Vi
Price: 4.83

4.0 out of 5 stars I meant to rate it 5 stars but the new EP is even better, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Vi (MP3 Download)
You've probably heard the hype: "Smiths, 80's miserabilism, sounds like Morrissey". Well forget all that put it to the back of your minds and buy this and the next EP (which is even better) now. All those comments are true to some extent but in the new EP this band have found their sound and put definite 80's influences (including the above) through the 21st century filter and come out with some excellent and emotive songs.
I think this band belong on the stadium and their music in anybody's record/download collection. I would have given this EP 5 stars but I have just downloaded the next one and it's even better so I really wouldn't know where to go from there to be honest. I will comment at greater length on that one when amazon releases the download.

The Invention of Lying [DVD]
The Invention of Lying [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.19

5.0 out of 5 stars This film is like marmite, 13 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Invention of Lying [DVD] (DVD)
You either love this film or hate it. I am really glad I didn't read all the negative reviews as I loved it. I really can't understand what they are going on about. I am not going to be pretentious and say why I loved it and I can certainly understand why it may not have gone down too well in America.
Its a comedy, its a work of fiction, its funny, its touching. I would give this film 4 stars but because of the extremely unfair and ridiculous reviews that I have seen I have upped it to 5! Get a grip guys!

Scouting For Girls
Scouting For Girls
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Music is supposed to be fun, 29 Dec 2007
This review is from: Scouting For Girls (Audio CD)
If music is supposed to be fun then this album hits the spot. My daughter got it for Christmas and I just had a listen now and had to hear it all the way through. I take serious issue with some of the negative reviews here which I feel are missing the point of this music completely. If you are unable to rise above your dislike for this "genre" you should just not comment on it. I can understand people who prefer to listen to music on an intellectual level giving this a less than excellent review but this is supposed to be fun not modern jazz or Mozart so quit the music snobbery! I hope I myself can stear clear of "genreist" comments and stick to the important thing; does this album get you going? Yes.
I am a piano player in a band myself and find this piano driven good time music absolutely infectious and catchy. Other than this according to "genreists" (of which there are too many!) I should not be qualified to comment as I am a boogie woogie and blues fan and an old fogie too! I have always believed that music should have no barriers to age and if its good you want to join in and dance or tap your foot whatever your status musically.
I found the songs on this album catchy witty and well written with excellent rythmic and melodic structure. It is pathetic to expect something totally original in order to give a good review, perhaps it should be for a 5 star but I am giving it 5 because I enjoyed it too much to quibble about orginality. I have also had the benefit of seeing this band live albeit on my daughter's video and I was not suprised at how well these songs went down with the young audience, having had a similar effect on me. These beguiling and deceptively witty songs are definately a breath of fresh air and I for one am happy that the charismatic and talented Roy Stride has penned these songs because today he made my world a better place!
Apologies for upsetting the top negative reviewers! Of course this is just my opinion and when I say "I take serious issue" with the negative reviews I mean "I completely disagree with them". I think I may have gone too far with accusations of "genreism" and may have too readily assumed that negative reviews have been motivated by musical or intellectual snobbery but again that's just an opinion and one I am willing to modify with that caveat. I have to say there is a lot of stuff about now that I think is total rubbish but I only tend to comment on things that I like and I am not going to complain too much about lyrics, arrangements, melody, dynamics or tempo if I like something whereas if I hate something I will pick up on all those things and no doubt cite them as reasons for my dislike. I will leave you with a reflection on talent. Surely there is a talent involved if you can write infectious songs that an undoubtedly large number of people like? It this not just a different talent from being gifted at music? If there were no talent involved everybody who writes a song would be top of the pops, if it were only properly good music that made it, the charts would only be full of seriously intellectual works of great technical merit. In response to the critic who said "music doesn't have to be for fun", I never said it had to be in fact I can't think of an album that's less fun than "The Wall" by Pink Floyd or Mozart's Requiem but they remain amongst my favourites. I was just proposing that if music were supposed to be for fun then "in my opinion" this factor has rescued Scouting for Girls from overt intellectual or musical criticism and why I gave their album 5 stars. It's no good of course if you don't think its fun and if that factor alone has not managed to bypass your critical faculties!
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2010 10:23 AM BST

Barefaced Lies and Boogie-Woogie Boasts
Barefaced Lies and Boogie-Woogie Boasts
by Jools Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just about the music, 27 Dec 2007
This book offers an astounding insight into music from a naturally gifted musician who has also perfectly captured the spirit of 80's Britain and is an essential part of our musical culture in the broadest sense. He writes with great modesty, succinctness, wit and has an infectious optimism that can't be ignored. This same optimism can be felt in his beautiful and inspiring music.
However, the thing I found best about this book was how hilariously funny the anecdotes were, I had to leave the room and calm down on several occasions after crying with laughter. Its probably the funniest book I have ever read and for this reason alone it is essential reading even by those who are not music fans!
Simply brilliant! I wish I could play with Jools some day, I have been working on my left hand!