Profile for mkm > Reviews

Content by mkm

mkm

Rumble in the Jungle (Book & CD)
Rumble in the Jungle (Book & CD)
by Giles Andreae

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with CD!, 7 April 2012
This is a lovely book, and the CD makes it so much greater! My son loves to listen to it, he roars and imitates the sounds and dances to the music, it makes all the reading much more interesting. Hope there would be more books with CD's.

The Bear in the Cave (Book & Cd) Michael Rosen
The Bear in the Cave (Book & Cd) Michael Rosen
by Michael Rosen

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely, 7 April 2012
We are not English native speakers (and we are living in Spain), and I was interested in having the CD so that my son could listen to it, in native English. And he just LOVES the CD (and the book of course!), and knows parts of it by heart and repeats them when I read it to him copying the CD, best buy ever!!! It's a pity that the book with the CD is so hard to find.

Tappity-Tap! What Was That?
Tappity-Tap! What Was That?
by Claire Freedman

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 16 Mar. 2012
I love this book, and my son (3 years old) who is totally obsessed with monsters, wants me to read it every night since it arrived home.
The pictures are beautiful, the story is fun and has a surprising turn which can help parents explain how sometimes things are different to what they seem (nightmares, shadows, noises, etc). I read in a review that this story was difficult to read, probably the last page should start a bit different, but we have Aliens in Underpants (by the same authors) and I find that one difficult to read (by my son LOVES it!), not this one.

Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner
Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner
by Annabel Karmel

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!, 25 Oct. 2009
I love this book, it has been very helpful. It's not just about purees (as I thought it was when I bought it), it has at the beginning of each chapter an explanation on different type of foods to be introduced, allergies, ways to cook the food and storing tips, etc and then fabulous recipes. The chapters are divided on different stages of weaning, so it's really easy to follow, and very exciting when you have to start to read a new chapter, because your baby has accomplished so much!

The graphic design, printing and quality of paper/pictures and really funny and cute drawings are excellent, so it makes a perfect gift too.

The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning
The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning
by Gina Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars Sincerely disappointed, 25 Oct. 2009
I am really disappointed with this book. I thought it was a book that focused more on the philosophy of how the weaning process should be and not only on purees... wrong! It's about how you'd better follow a really strict method or otherwise terrible things will happen to you (as the examples of babies that had problems eating at the end of each chapter... they all had problems because the mothers didn't follow the method EXACTLY as they were told to do so).

I didn't read `The contented little baby book', but from what the author suggests on this book, her method follows a routine for milk feeding that is not `on demand' as most paediatricians and nutritionists nowadays suggest. And this book assumes you have that routine very well under way in your household before you start with this one! Her method includes a very strict daily plan, with a very strict timing, week by week of weaning!

Personally, I don't believe motherhood should be about following instructions up to every minute of the day as Gina Ford intends everybody to do so. Plus babies are not all the same, and they have good and bad days as we all do, and I feel it's better to be comprehensive and try to understand what your baby is going through. My way has worked for me, my baby is 7 months and he just loves to eat everything I feed him, but he still loves breastfeeding, and does sleep all night long too, and he was preterm and really tinny at birth, and now he is a normal sized baby and still growing!

Furthermore, it's really not a pretty book, ordinary paper that you really have to read through, not easy to find the different recipes and information.

I will STRONGLY recommend Annabel Karmel's `New Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner' instead, it has basic information at the start of each chapter, and then really good purees (some that I have included like soups or desserts for my husband and me!). And it's also beautiful, with fun drawings and pictures, that it will make a perfect gift.

Baby Shapes 4 Books and Mobile Set
Baby Shapes 4 Books and Mobile Set
by Helen Dorman

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, 25 Oct. 2009
I bought this not fully convinced that babies could be attracted to something like this... but I was sincerely surprised! Form the moment I showed one of the images of the book to my 3 week old son... he focused all is attention to it and looked for it for a really long time! But what was really amazing is that he chose what he looked at, having some favourite images and some that he didn't care at all to look at!

And the mobile... he hated to be changed and as soon as we put the mobile on top of the changing table he didn't complain any more. When he started growing he wanted to touch it, and smiled and laughed with it. We had to take it down one month ago because he destroyed it, but it was really worth all the fun it provided!

It's a great idea for a gift, this is what I will start giving my friends when they have babies in the future!

Born to Run: The Rise of Ultra-running and the Super-athlete Tribe
Born to Run: The Rise of Ultra-running and the Super-athlete Tribe
by Christopher McDougall

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for people who love to run, 25 Oct. 2009
I bought this book as a gift for my husband, and he just loved it! He is a slow reader (doesn't have much time to read), but read this one really quickly and was always telling me the other day what he had read during the night. I am looking forward to read it myself soon!

The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face, Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
by Margaret Radcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT!, 25 Oct. 2009
This book has ALL the knitting answers! I have not knitted for some time, and I was in need of some refreshing, and this book provided all the things I didn't remember and much more, things I always wanted to know how to do and didn't know how! The most amazing thing is that it's really tinny for all the info it has, with very helpful and simple drawings. I already bought another one to give as a gift!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2014 9:02 AM GMT

Tippitoes Doorway Bouncer
Tippitoes Doorway Bouncer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this product, 25 Oct. 2009
I really like this product, easy to put my baby into the harness and then to hang him in the hook that is attached to the doorframe, and my baby just loves it! He started using it at 6 months (he just turned and turned) and he is now 7 months and he is starting to jump. When he sees that I'm about to put him into the harness he starts shouting and moving he's feet with joy. I strongly recommend it for every parent.