Profile for N. Lawrence > Reviews

Content by N. Lawrence

N. Lawrence (London, UK)

Setting Up a Successful Photography Business: How to be a Professional Photographer (Setting Up Guides) (331/3)
by Lisa Pritchard
Price: 11.69

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful guide into setting up and running a photography business., 23 Dec 2011
I've read a lot of photography books in my time and I have to say firstly that it's a relief to see a British one produced, that provides practical references to British resources. I would also have to disagree with the first reviewer; I think it is obvious from the title that it is not aimed at successful professionals who've been in business for 10 years. From reading it, it is clearly aimed at (a) those considering setting up their business, (b) just started or are in the first 1-2 years of trading or (c) those considering making a change from other specialisms to commercial/editorial photography.

I was a part-time professional for five years before becoming wholly self-employed in June 2011. I bought this book because adjusting to the changes of working 100% as a self-employed photographer has been a big challenge. The section on Marketing was very helpful in giving me some new resources to refer to and gave me comfort in confirming that what I was already doing was right. I enjoyed the sections where other photographers - such as Perou, David Slijper and Julia Boggio - talked about the things they have had to deal with on their way to becoming a successful businessperson. The templates and guides are very useful, as are the considerations you should make with regards to pricing, producing a shoot and copyright.

I think this book has also come at a very opportune time and I would encourage any photographers - whatever early stage they are at - to read this book. There is a lot of pessimism about the future of photography and how money can't be earned from it. The message I get from Lisa's book is that it IS there, but you cannot expect to announce that you are photographer to 20 of your closest friends and expect to earn a living from it. If you decide to sell your images or photographic skill, then you need to become a businessperson, find out who would buy your work and have reasons why you are different or of value to your clients. Then you need to promote, promote and promote some more. It's hard work but this is what businesspeople in other sectors have been doing for years - more photographers need to do this too.

Thanks Lisa on an excellent first book; I hope there are other books in the pipeline that cover specific areas - more detailed books on marketing and the legal side of photography would be particularly interesting.

Canon PIXMA MG6150 All-In-One Wi-Fi Colour Photo Printer (Print, Copy and Scan)
Canon PIXMA MG6150 All-In-One Wi-Fi Colour Photo Printer (Print, Copy and Scan)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very quick and efficient printer, 21 July 2011
I have not had this printer long, but I have to say that so far it is very good value for money. Printing is quick and the Printer Properties dialog box is very to understand. Scanning is also very easy to do and setting up the printer was fine when I used the manual. The great thing is the Wi-Fi option, which I love and means that I don't have to walk around yet another cable.

If there's one tiny thing to improve on, it's the separate CD printing tray, which doesn't have a place in the device to store it in. It would be nice to keep everything that attaches to the printer contained so as to avoid clutter.

I would recommend this printer, it's just really easy and quick to use and so far, no hassle at all.

How To DJ (Properly): The Art And Science Of Playing Records
How To DJ (Properly): The Art And Science Of Playing Records
by Frank Broughton
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, informative and encouraging, 20 Mar 2010
As someone who absolutely loves music but is completely new to DJing, this book comes across very well without being patronising or elitist. The explanations of techniques is very clear and the sense of humour throughout the book is natural without being overbearing. It also makes the advice more memorable. After just a few days of reading the book, I am listening to my music in a different way and the art of DJing is a little less daunting as a result. Some of the advice, particularly the advice on blending, beatmatching and not preparing a whole set before a gig, is especially helpful.

As a newbie, I would happily recommend this book those starting out. Far from making you feel like an idiot for not knowing your bars from your phrases, it encourages anyone who loves music and wants to share their music with others to improve their skills and give DJing a try. A great book.