Profile for alkaline > Reviews

Star Wars: Armada Tabletop Miniatures Game
Star Wars: Armada Tabletop Miniatures Game
Offered by Smart Games Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced? Maybe. Fun? Definitely., 28 Mar. 2015
Okay first let me address the price issue. £80 for a core game is a lot and at first glance you don't get a huge amount for your money: a Victory class Star Destroyer, Rebel CR90 and a Nebulon B (all painted) 6 squadrons of TIE fighter and 4 squadrons of X-Wings (all unpainted) plus all the associated cards and dice, rulebook etc.

So is it worth the money? Well that depends on your point of view but to form a balanced opinion you should at least play the game first.
I got my copy of this Thursday and have played two games so far, both very enjoyable though like x-wing you are going to need expansions to get the most out of this. If you don't want to outlay the cash to expand the basic game then this probably isn't the game for you so you might as well stop reading now!

So, my impressions:
The ships are much bigger than the core X-Wing ships, at least the Star Destroyer is! The paintjob on the Victory is good but the rebel ships could do with an ink wash to add definition. The capital ship bases are more complex then X-Wing's bases since they have inbuilt 'wheels' to record shields. The manoeuvre tool for moving the capital ships is also more complex, and plastic.
The squadrons are composed of numerous parts and sit on clever multi-part stands that both record damage and show whether the squadron has been activated. All this added complexity plus the size increase of the ships goes some way to explaining the greatly increased cost of this core set over that of X-Wing.

It's worth noting that a lot of thought has gone into the design of the various parts and Fantasy Flight have clearly listened to design feedback as a lot of the design 'niggles' of X-Wing have been avoided in Armada. The ships for example lock snugly into their bases over the ship card, preventing it from coming lose during play.

A lot of thought has similarly gone into the mechanics and gameplay. The game is deceptively simple and with only 6 rounds doesn't take more than a couple of hours to play through. There's less of a reliance on counters in the playing area than X-Wing (no target locks, focus tokens, stress etc) so the board stays uncluttered. Complexity comes though the orders system and mastering this, I think, will separate the Admiral Pietts from the Admiral Ozzels.

Playing this game 'feels' like Star Wars. The Victory Star Destroyer feels massive and lumbering and boy do you not want to get caught in its forward arc at close range. The rebel ships are more nimble but more fragile. X-Wing squadrons are excellent all-rounders, able to pummel TIE's and even threaten the Star Destroyer if used right. TIE fighters of course are numerous but weak, just as they should be.

If I had to make a criticism it's that the different subtypes of ships are too similar. For example in the background the Victory II is significantly faster than the Victory I but in Armada the Victory I and II seem almost identical, certainly the Victory II is no faster. Still I have only played two games. Maybe as I use them more and compare them their unique flavours will emerge. It's certainly a pretty small gripe about what has the potential to be a truly great game.

7 CiberDirect Compatible Ink Cartridges for use with Epson Stylus Photo R300 Printers.
Offered by Ciberdirect

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll be buying these again and again!, 1 Dec. 2012
Bought these as a cheap alternative to the official cartridges, I wasn't expecting much but at such a low price thought I'd take a chance. I'm very pleased with the result. All cartridges are now in my printer and if there is any difference in print quality between these and the SIXTY something pound official ones I can't tell; I can tell the difference in price though!! I've already ordered a spare set of these.

The Butterfly Lion
The Butterfly Lion
by Michael Morpurgo

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!!, 6 May 2012
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
The butterfly lion is the most incredible and touching story I think I've ever read. Also, the lion is very cute! I read it continuously, I never wanted to stop!! So I really suggest you read this book too.

disclaimer *this review written by my 10 year old daughter :)*

Nerf Dart Tag Swarmfire
Nerf Dart Tag Swarmfire

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric Nerf without the jam, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Nerf Dart Tag Swarmfire (Toy)
I bought one of these for my lad for his 8th b'day. Did a lot of research then bought it on a whim :) Got to say we're very pleased! It has a reasonably rapid rate of fire, decent range, looks terrific and has zero chance of jamming due to the design. Basically all the darts load into the front which then rotates as the gun is fired, shooting out the darts in quick succession. It's a bit like a big, electric Maverick.

We've had it for a week now and despite almost constant use for shooting dad in the back, arms, legs, neck etc the batteries are still going strong. The only minor gripe is the time it takes to reload but it's a small price to pay for the reliability of the gun IMO.