Profile for J. Holmes > Reviews

Content by J. Holmes

J. Holmes (Pennsylvania USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Heye "Happytown Berman" Triangular Puzzles (1500-Piece, Multi-Colour)
Heye "Happytown Berman" Triangular Puzzles (1500-Piece, Multi-Colour)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful cartoon puzzles filled with cute animals and details, 1 May 2016
If you like cartoon puzzles or animal puzzles, I highly recommend “Happytown” by Heye. It’s a gorgeous image with lots of wonderful fine detail. It’s a family friendly and smile-inducing puzzle sure to brighten your day. You can see my full review and more images on my blog, Jigsaw Junkie.

Ravensburger Museum of Wonder 1000pc Jigsaw Puzzle
Ravensburger Museum of Wonder 1000pc Jigsaw Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fun fantasy collage puzzle from Aimee Stewart, 1 May 2016
Another fun fantasy collage puzzle from Aimee Stewart and Ravensburger. Excellent manufacturing quality, a nice collectible box, and loads of interest in the image itself. Recommended! You can see my full review on Jigsaw Junkie.

Classic Companions - 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle
Classic Companions - 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely dog themed puzzle, good quality., 6 Mar. 2016
This is a lovely dog puzzle with good quality puzzle pieces and nice details in the image that make assembly enjoyable and fairly easy. There are sketches and leaves and color variations in the tan background that help it go together fast. Recommended. We gave it a 9/10 at Jigsaw Junkie.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Gibsons The Country Bus Jigsaw Puzzle (4 x 500-Piece)
Gibsons The Country Bus Jigsaw Puzzle (4 x 500-Piece)

2.0 out of 5 stars Lovely puzzle but major quality control issues for Gibsons, 24 Feb. 2016
I adore the 4x500 puzzles by Gibsons and Trevor Mitchell. I have them all. I like to do them all together (for 2000 pieces). Unfortunately, with this latest, "The Country Bus", Gibsons has a big quality problem. I ordered the puzzle from Amazon.co.uk (I live in the US) and put it together. Three of the four puzzles were good, but one of the puzzles had 2 pieces missing plus an extra duplicate sky piece in the box.

I see out of the other 6 reviewers here, 2 people had missing pieces. I review jigsaw puzzles on my blog, 3 or 4 a week, so I'm super careful about losing pieces and declaring something 'missing' when I might be at fault. But there were definitely 2 pieces not at all present in my box. The duplicate piece I had, and other reviewers problems, seals the conclusion.

The worst part is, Gibsons "missing piece warranty" only applies if you live within the UK. Since amazon.co.uk ships internationally, this is a whole lot of customers the Gibsons warranty shuts out. Fortunately, I was able to get a refund on my puzzle from amazon. However, what I really wanted was just that one bag of puzzles pieces for the puzzle I had a problem with. Given the current quality issues, I'm not sure it's worth ordering a whole new box.

Mike Wilks: The Ultimate Alphabet: The Letter S 1,000-Piece Jigsaw Puzzle
Mike Wilks: The Ultimate Alphabet: The Letter S 1,000-Piece Jigsaw Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique puzzle with exceptional quality!, 10 Feb. 2016
This is a very unique and high quality puzzle that would make a wonderful gift. It should also be highly collectible. I love that it’s part of a series and that we’re like to see many more! Great job, Pomegranate and Mike Wilks.

You can see the full review and photos on the blog Jigsaw Junkie.

Ravensburger Wembley Dreams Puzzle (1000-Piece)
Ravensburger Wembley Dreams Puzzle (1000-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely nostalgia puzzle with Ravensburger quality - 9.25/10, 18 Jan. 2016
Working a Ravensburger is like driving a BMW. It just feels really solid and good. The pieces are sturdy and they interlock perfectly–tight but not too tight to undo them. There’s never any confusion about piece fit. The piece finish is non-glare and feels good in your hand.

Trevor Mitchell is a British artist who does many British nostalgia images for Gibsons, Ravensburger, and Falcon. I quite like them and buy most of the ones he puts out. This image shows a group of young boys playing soccer on a village green. The boy in red is making a goal and dreaming about playing at Wembley. I like the various colors on the figures and the scattering of flowers and structures like the village buildings and gazebo. This is a simple scene. It’s not a puzzle image that’s going to be super challenging, like a crowded cartoon scene, but sometimes you just want something light and easy, with warm and fuzzy ‘feels’. Nostalgia puzzles fit the bill.

This is an easy 1000 piece puzzle. There is a lot of green in this puzzle, but it’s not difficult. There are areas of shade and other variations that make assembling the green lawn pretty straight-forward. This is a quick 4-5 hour puzzle and sometimes that’s just what you want. This would be a good puzzle to work with kids or family members who aren’t usually puzzlers.

We rated this puzzle 9.25/10. You can see the full review with photos on the Jigsaw Junkie blog.

Wasgij Imagine If The Conservatives Win The General Election Jigsaw Puzzle
Wasgij Imagine If The Conservatives Win The General Election Jigsaw Puzzle
Offered by Hauseinkauf

3.0 out of 5 stars Unless you're really into British politics, there are better wasgijs, 13 Feb. 2015
First, I love wasgij puzzles. I have them all. My hope for this new "Imagine" 3-puzzle series went something like this: Each puzzle image would be a take on what the UK would be like if that party won the election. For example, a London street with conservatives ruling vs the same London street with liberals ruling the day, etc. Perhaps some clever visual references to various policies each party had promised. What I was hoping it *wouldn’t be* was images of British political celebrities whom I, as a non-Brit, didn’t know.

Unfortunately, the puzzle image is the latter. It's a simple outdoor scene with a handful of politicians holding a small celebration. The bulk of the image consists of caricatures of real life politicians, up close and in simple poses. The background of this scene is very basic – a bit of a wall of a manor and some greenery. Even the clothes on all the figures are basic (pin stripes and blues mostly).

Compared to images like wasgij's “What If: Dinosaurs Still Rules the World”, which shows several streets and a park (with various characters in a wide range of colored and patterned clothes), the puzzle image on this wasgij is very simplistic. It could have been made interesting even to those who don’t follow British politics by widening the view and having more going on in the picture—more detail, more design, more colors, more sight gags.

As it is, I would recommend this only to people who really follow UK politics. Otherwise, check out any of the recent wasgij original, mystery, destiny, or Christmas puzzles or the first two wasgis "What Ifs".

You can see my full review here: [...]
Comment Comment | Permalink

Gibsons Home Sweet Home Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
Gibsons Home Sweet Home Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of the new Gibsons puzzles for 2015, 24 Jan. 2015
One of the best Gibsons yet! So many great colors and patterns in this puzzle make it easy to put together. And the Gibsons quality is outstanding as usual. See my full review with pictures here: https://jigsawjunkie.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/review-home-sweet-home-gibsons-1010/
Comment Comment | Permalink

Gibsons I Love Christmas Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
Gibsons I Love Christmas Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic puzzle! I Love Mike Jupp., 16 Jan. 2015
This puzzle has everything -- gorgeous Gibsons quality, it's a cartoon puzzle, British puzzle, and Christmas puzzle in one. And, of course, Mike Jupp's fabulous and colored detailed artwork and humor.
You can see my full review with photos here: https://jigsawjunkie.wordpress.com/2015/01/16/review-i-love-christmas-gibsons-1010/

Piatnik Salamanders Jigsaw Puzzle 1000Pc
Piatnik Salamanders Jigsaw Puzzle 1000Pc
Offered by SK Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and fun to assemble!, 4 Jan. 2015
I loved this puzzle. It's very bright and colorful (even more than the photo on Amazon). The repeating patterns in the salamanders is fun to assemble, and it's an unusual theme for a jigsaw. The Paitnik quality was excellent, with nice thing pieces that feel a bit like Jumbo puzzles.
You can see my full review with photos here:

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5