Profile for Mr. T. P. Booker > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. P. Booker

Mr. T. P. Booker (Stockport, Manchester, England)

Page: 1 | 2
SanDisk SDCZ80-032G-G46 32 GB Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk SDCZ80-032G-G46 32 GB Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Price: 22.83

5.0 out of 5 stars If you value speed over storage capacity, then this is the stick for you, 11 Aug 2014
The transfer speed of the SanDisk Extreme USB3.0 range is simply incredible, and as of right now one of the fastest available. Typical transfer speeds for me are 95-100MB/s - it's important to understand that this Megabytes (not Megabits). In Megabits terms, ie what your broadband speed is gauged in, this would be closer to 800Mb/s.

In practical terms, it can transfer a 1 gigabyte file - such as a movie - in 10 seconds.

There are dozens of USB3.0 sticks on the market, but few of them take advantage of the speeds available. Many in fact are slower than their USB2.0 counterparts.

The speed of the SanDisk Extreme comes at a premium. You could very easily get a 64GB stick for the same price, or a 128GB for a little more, but those sticks will undoubtedly be slower. If you value speed over size, then this is the stick for you. If you'd prefer a bigger stick, and you're not overly concerned about transfer speeds, then you should probably consider another.

As an FYI, I used this stick to freshly install Windows 8.1 onto my new build computer, which houses a 250GB Samsung Evo SSD. It took just over 5 minutes, from beginning installation process to first bootup. I seriously cannot recommend this stick enough.

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Price: 83.99

5.0 out of 5 stars When this baby hits 88 miles per hour you're going to see some seriously fast bootup times, 1 July 2014
I've never used an SSD before, and decided to let this 250gb Samsung evo pop my cherry.

I've seen videos on Youtube showing how fast these things are, but I guess you don't appreciate these speeds unless you experience them for yourself.

The speeds people mostly talk about are bootup times. My PC with this in boots up in 10-15 seconds. It shuts down in less them than that. After a Windows update, it's no longer a grown to reboot the system - it does it in seconds. Programs load up in most cases instantly. Games fly open. In Skyrim, the only thing stopping the game from loading instantly is the Bethesda splash intro.

General Windows functions are just instant. Click Google Chrome and its open and on Google instantly. As in, it's open before you unclick the mouse. I clicked install on uTorrent, and it had installed and opened before I unclicked the mouse. This sounds dramatic, maybe even a little hyperbole, but I've not had my morning coffee yet so am definitely not high.

I bought a Sandisk Extreme 32gb stick, and made it into a Winwows 8.1 bootable stick. I decided CD/DVD is old tech, and didn't bother buying a drive for my new PC. So I installed Win 8.1 from the stick. It took 5 minutes 20 seconds, and a good minute of this was me trying to type in my Wi-Fi password, not realising numlock was off. I very nearly wiped it and started again, but decided this was silly.

Obviously the speed of the Sandisk Extreme, and USB3, is in play here, but consider this for a moment: Windows installed in 5 minutes. That's from initially booting up and the install starting, to first bootup with IE opened. 5 minutes.

I've noticed that more and more people are recommending SSDs as an upgrade for machines, and I have to agree. This has made an absolutely massive difference to just about everything I do on a computer. From playing games, to loading websites; everything is just so fast!

I can't recommend this drive, or any SSD for that matter, enough. The price has dropped so low now that an SSD should be a serious consideration for any upgrade.

Perixx MX-1000 Iron, Programmable Gaming Mouse - 7 Programmable Button - Omron Micro Switches - Avago 2000DPI A3050 Optical Sensor - Ultra Polling 125-1000 Hz
Offered by Perixx UK
Price: 19.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, wish I had bigger thumbs though, 1 July 2014
This mouse is lush - that's the only way I can describe it.

For a cheap mouse it feels incredibly well built... it's heavy! The buttons all give audible, and satisfying, clunks when you click them. The mouse wheel isn't overly sensitive. The colours are also cool too. There's 4 DPI modes to choose from, each with its own colour (red, blue, green, pinky-purple). With its drivers you can also change these DPI settings, and also create macros and other useful gaming-commands.

The cable is braided. I'm going to be honest and say this is pretty much serves no purpose for a stay-at-home-gamer, other than being able to say "my mouse has a braided cord, fear me". It also has a gold casing on the usb connector. Again, not sure how much difference this makes, but it certainly impressed my 6 year old so I'm happy.

All in all this is a cracking piece of kit, and it's cheap too. My only criticism is, and this is more on the shape of my body than the mouse, is that the side buttons are a little long and I have to reach a little for my thumb to reach the second button. Stupid thumbs. I do have really small hands - usually smaller than most women - so if you have normal hands this won't be a problem.

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5g Tube
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5g Tube
Offered by elevenfirst
Price: 5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, easy to spread - brilliant stuff, 1 July 2014
Well, there's not much to say really, like Ronseal it does exactly what it says on the tin (tube).

Dead easy to use. Simply pop off the cap, splurge onto the processor, re-add cap and spread evenly, slap on your heatsink.

Obviously there are lots of factors involved in this, but my i5 4670k has an idle temp of just 31 degrees. This paste is certainly a useful cog in the machine.

HyperX Beast Series 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR3 CL11 DIMM Desktop Memory Module (Kit of 2)
Price: 129.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This memory definitely has the 'wow' factor..., 1 July 2014
So I installed this memory, got windows installed, booted up, and slapped on my favourite MMO. Everything worked fine. Then I remembered that you need to enable the XMP profile in your bios to use this memory at its 2400mhz speed. So I rebooted, entered bios (she didn't mind), noticed it was running at 1333mhz, enabled XMP, booted and loaded my fav MMO.

There was a very visible and noticeable difference after making this change. Windows 8.1 seemed to be more snappy, more 'instant'. I'm on a fast system so the improvement wasn't jaw dropping to be fair (i5 4670k, 250gb samsung evo ssd, Sapphire r9 280x duel-x), but it was noticeable. One area I did notice was the MMO loading time; it dropped considerably - shaving perhaps 5-10 seconds off.

I bought 16gb of this memory for 120. At this time, 16gb amounts memory were going for 100+, with the modules at that lower price bracket being 1333mhz-1600mhz. I decided that an extra 20 was worth it for the extra speed. I'll be honest, the speed difference that you'll notice isn't massively groundbreaking, so I'm not going to give this memory the whole "omg don't buy anything else!!" because there isn't a great deal in it between this and slower modules. But if you're an enthusiast and don't mind spending an extra 20, then I heartily recommend this memory.

I should also say that it comes with a really sexy "Powered by Kingston HyperX" sticker, which is silver and black foil, and the X is all ninja-like. I love my stickers.

Motorola Moto G Black Leather Wallet Flip Case Cover Pouch + Free Screen Protector & Touch Stylus Pen + Polishing Cloth
Offered by Aventus
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but good quality, 15 May 2014
When you pay a few quid for a case, you generally don't expect much. I've purposely waited a few months before reviewing these, so I can better gauge their quality.

You can describe me as a heavy user; I use my phone a lot during work, before and after, and of course at the weekend. There is literally no sign of wear and tear on the case at all. I read some other reviews which suggested the quality isn't that good, but with my heavy use I'm not even seeing any fraying. My worry was the magnetic strip thing which locks the case close, because it does feel a little flimsy. But it's still going strong, no sign of giving up yet.

All in all I'm pleased with my purchase.

Pioneer SE-CL721-H Fully Enclosed Dynamic Inner-Ear Headphones - White
Pioneer SE-CL721-H Fully Enclosed Dynamic Inner-Ear Headphones - White
Offered by Electric Mania Store
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound quality, 15 May 2014
I normally opt for cheaper earphones but, as you can expect, they don't last long and the sound quality isn't always that good. These Pioneers however, wow! The quality far exceeds the price; they're on par with more expensive Sennheiser's I've owned.

I've had these about 4 months now and there's no sign of wear and tear. So far, so good!

Zalman Z11 Plus Midi Tower Case (ATX, M-ATX, Supports Bottom PSU Installation and Aperture for Cable Management, Anti-Vibration Rubber Stand)
Offered by ADMI Limited UK
Price: 56.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality case, with several fans, 15 May 2014
Other reviews sum this case up quite nicely, so I'll simply say it exceeded my expectations on build quality and really is a good looking case.

Offworld (Dangerous Times Collection Book #1)
Offworld (Dangerous Times Collection Book #1)
Price: 2.37

5.0 out of 5 stars A great page-turner, 12 Feb 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, and I am thoroughly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I could barely put it down. definitely recommend!

RoboCopTM
RoboCopTM
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Another awful "free to play" cash cow, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: RoboCopTM (App)
The game is fun, until you've played it for about 10 minutes and to continue you need to spend real money on some in-game item, which is of course ridiculously expensive.

Fortunately I have in-game purchases turned off, I'd recommend everyone else does the same.

If you're going to spend 's on a game, go buy a proper one for a console/PC, instead of wasting it on these horrible apps.

Page: 1 | 2