ARRAY(0xb0b130e4)

Profile for Mr. T. P. Booker > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. P. Booker

Mr. T. P. Booker (Stockport, Manchester, England)

Offworld (Dangerous Times Collection Book #1)
Offworld (Dangerous Times Collection Book #1)
Price: 2.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A great page-turner, 12 Feb 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, and I am thoroughly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I could barely put it down. definitely recommend!

RoboCopTM (Kindle Tablet Edition)
RoboCopTM (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Another awful "free to play" cash cow, 9 Feb 2014
The game is fun, until you've played it for about 10 minutes and to continue you need to spend real money on some in-game item, which is of course ridiculously expensive.

Fortunately I have in-game purchases turned off, I'd recommend everyone else does the same.

If you're going to spend 's on a game, go buy a proper one for a console/PC, instead of wasting it on these horrible apps.

The Cambridge Companion to Kafka (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
The Cambridge Companion to Kafka (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
by Julian Preece
Price: 20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide to Kafka, 19 Sep 2010
I bought this book for my Dad, for his birthday, as he is a huge Kafka fan and has everything commercially available written by him. My Dad is a bit of a buff; when he gets into something he'll read from morning to night and scour the internet looking for information. He has said this book is absolutely superb, the best of its kind, so for me that would be the best recommendation possible for this book.

Seeds of Earth (Humanity's Fire)
Seeds of Earth (Humanity's Fire)
by Michael Cobley

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic space opera!, 30 Jan 2010
I feel compelled to write a review for this book; I'm nearing the end and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've noticed a couple of fairly negative comments including one referred to Kevin J Anderson as a negative which stumps me - Kevin J Anderson is a fantastic author. Seeds of Earth is a "space opera" novel; this means it is more akin with an action adventure story such as star wars than something nitty gritty from the likes of say Stephen Baxter. If you want realism in space then this is the wrong novel, so don't buy it and don't leave a negative review.

If, like me, you love strange alien species, complicated yet easy to understand twisting plot lines and of course fantastic battles both on land and in space then this book is quite simply perfect for you. This book is very much akin to Kevin J Anderson's "Saga of the Seven Suns" but with a more Steampunk/Star Trek'ian feel to it. There is a great emphasis on politices, but not so much to bore you. Cobley has created a rich and inviting universe which has a hell of a lot of history and a near infinate amount of resources for future storylines.

The writing itself is easy to read, quick and very entertaining. I particularly enjoyed the colloquial use of the Scottish dialect. The hero's are typical and easy to love, the aliens are weird and numerous, the enemy is sufficiently evil and overpowering and the good guys are as all emcompassing and virtuous as you could hope for. It is also topical in some respects.

All in all this is a perfect example of a space opera.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2010 2:18 PM GMT