Profile for Richard P > Reviews

Content by Richard P

Richard P (United Kingdom)

Smiffy's Monster Mask (Adult, One Size)
Smiffy's Monster Mask (Adult, One Size)
Offered by Magic Fancy Dress

5.0 out of 5 stars I had fun scaring kids along the way, 5 Nov. 2014
I agree with the reviewer who said that you get hot when wearing the mask. I chose to walk about half a mile in the mask on Halloween night en route to a party. I had fun scaring kids along the way, but I did get pretty sweaty in there, even on a cold November night. Some more ventilation would help. Having arrived I got hotter still, but the mask got a lot of positive reaction.

FACILLA® Hygrometer Wet Humidity Thermometer Temperature Meter [Kitchen & Home]
FACILLA® Hygrometer Wet Humidity Thermometer Temperature Meter [Kitchen & Home]
Offered by hastingis

3.0 out of 5 stars Display wasn't as shown in the picture, 16 Jun. 2014
I chose this model over the HTC-1 alternative because I particularly wanted to avoid a clock as part of the display. I don't need a clock, it takes up some of the space of the display and it's another clock to adjust twice a year when the hour changes.

When the meter arrived, I discovered that the specification has changed - it now includes a clock as part of the display, and the humidity and temperature displays are smaller than shown in the picture.

I had borrowed an HTC-1 humidity meter before mine arrived, and I wish now I'd bought that instead, as although it includes a clock too, the humidity and temperature displays are larger and more legible from a distance.

Twin Lens Pocket LED Lighted Magnifier
Twin Lens Pocket LED Lighted Magnifier
Offered by Europens

5.0 out of 5 stars great little gizmo, 9 Mar. 2013
This is a handy little magnifier which I use at work for reading cable numbers and connector labels in racks of computer equipment. It's often pretty dark and awkward at the back of the equipment and you need to peer through a forest of wires to check that the right cable is plugged up to the right connector. My eyesight isn't as good as it was for close work, so a neat little magnifying glass with built-in illumination is very useful for checking that cable D6088 isn't actually D6066, for example.

Braun Oral B Advance 400 Toothbrush
Braun Oral B Advance 400 Toothbrush
Offered by Dental Direct UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward Electric Toothbrush, 9 Mar. 2013
We don't have a power outlet in the bathroom, so we need a toothbrush which runs on conventional batteries, and that cuts down the choice. This is a simple and inexpensive, battery-powered toothbrush which feels solid in the hand and works well. We're happy with the purchase after a few months of use - recommended.

Panasonic EW-DJ40  DentaCare Cordless Rechargeable Oral Irrigator
Panasonic EW-DJ40 DentaCare Cordless Rechargeable Oral Irrigator

5.0 out of 5 stars neat and effective, 15 Oct. 2012
We bought this product to replace an earlier oral irrigator made by Waterpik, whose battery gradually failed over a period of months. The Panasonic version is performing well so far - a full charge lasts for 10 days or more of regular use. It's also a more elegant design than the Waterpik. We like the telescopic mechanism, which makes it small enough to consider taking it with us for longer trips.

Leifheit Proline Kitchen and Barbecue Grill Tongs Stainless Steel Silicone Silver Black
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tongs, 29 Jun. 2012
This turned out to be a great purchase. We use these tongs for turning sausages under the grill and suchlike, but they open wide and and can be used for getting bread rolls or croiscants out of a hot oven. They are also very good at serving up spaghetti, so you don't need separate spaghetti tongs if you have these. Highly recommended.

Timex Mens Classic Black Leather Strap Watch - T2M563PF
Timex Mens Classic Black Leather Strap Watch - T2M563PF
Offered by Jewellery Junkies

1.0 out of 5 stars Big mistake, 29 Jun. 2012
I regret buying this watch. The backlight feature never worked and the adjustment crown doesn't screw down. The second failing is the worst, I'm constantly catching the crown on my shirt and jacket sleeves and pulling it out, which is annoying in itself but it also stops the watch running, which is hopeless.

TripNeeds Ultralock 200 High Security TSA Luggage Lock with 4-Dial Combination, Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but could be better, 29 Jun. 2012
The padlock looks smart, works well and it's straightforward to change the combination number. I'd be happier if the shackle went fully down into the body of the padlock when locked. As it is the shackle sits within an external cup of metal when closed, and it seems to me that a determined thief could prise the shackle up and over that cup with a big screwdriver or similar.

Czech and Slovak Republics (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Czech and Slovak Republics (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
by Jane Rawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 26 Aug. 2004
I was looking for a guide book covering the Czech Republic for a trip to Zlin (in Moravia) and to Prague. It turned out that there wasn't one, so reluctantly I bought the Lonely Planet Czech and Slovak Republics guide, figuring that half the book would be useless to me. Well, the Czech section actually accounts for two thirds of the book, and the historical and language information is equally relevant to both countries.
I found the book interesting, reliable and to the point. Prices, opening hours etc all spot-on. I bought a small book on Prague as well, but to be honest the Prague section of the Lonely Planet book was perfectly adequate, and actually better when it came to recommended places to eat and drink.
From now on, Lonely Planet will be my first choice for guide books.