Profile for benjcake > Reviews

benjcake (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Disconnected  (Romantic Suspense Drama)  Book #1
Disconnected (Romantic Suspense Drama) Book #1

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor characterisation, repetitive, may contain spoilers., 16 Oct 2014
Very repetitive and stilted. Do not warm to the characters at all. There is a sequel but I do not care what happens next.
The dialogue is very poor, no one talks like that in real life.
This should be a book full of emotion, the writer writes about how people are feeling but she does not show us. Ok I get she had ptsd and was disconnected from her emotions etc. even taking this into account the author tells us lots about how people are feeling but she never shows us. Awful abuse was recounted but it left me cold and I am one to cry while reading.
The hero was a cipher who just did what was needed for the next step of the story. I got no sense of him as an individual with his own agenda. "I love you so, I will never leave you. I don't even want to go to work because I'll have to leave you" to " I'm going to London for 4 weeks" over the course of 24 hours. This is a guy who meets a girl and eventually has sex with her. She screams throughout, is very distressed but tells him to keep going. He finds out she was kidnapped for 2 years and believes her when she says she was not sexually assaulted. Not only believes her but tells her he couldn't have coped if she had been. Ridiculous.
The ending was awful. They had been through hell together. Their reactions to that are not character driven but what the author needed to write a sequel.
If the book had been any longer then I would not have finished it. Will not be buying the sequel.

Hook Me (Men of Inked Book 2)
Hook Me (Men of Inked Book 2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disapointed, 4 Sep 2014
I bought this book as the blurb looked promising and it had many positive reviews but I hated it so much that I only got about 25% in before deciding life is too short and returning it for a refund.
The writing is poor, very stilted and does not pull you into the story.
The male hero is charmless. His attitude to women is poor and I really do not see what the heroine sees in him other than his fit body. While I felt I should have liked the heroine she just left me cold. I got no real sense of her personality or motivations. Too much of the story was told instead of shown and the little I read seemed very contrived.

Would not recommend or read anything else by this author.

Slim To None (Cedar Tree Series Book 1)
Slim To None (Cedar Tree Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent first novel, 30 Aug 2014
Good points.
I liked Emma. Liked that she was older and that she was disabled. Nice to see characters that reflect real life. Gus was ok too but not as well sketched as Emma. Not many surprises in the story but kept me turning the pages. Plot did not seem contrived, no stupid misunderstandings or incredible coincidences.

Bad points.
A bit too insta love, don't really get the build up. Very predictable.
Worst of all are the errors. The odd mis spelling and missing words or wrong words can be overlooked if the story is good enough, in fact pretty much expected in a self published. Sadly this books jumps around between past and present tense, every time it did it I was jerked out of the story and so it's impact was reduced. Lost the book a star for me, so can't give more than 3 stars.

Hannah's Blessing
Hannah's Blessing

1.0 out of 5 stars Contrived plot, cardboard characters., 23 July 2014
This review is from: Hannah's Blessing (Kindle Edition)
Silly book. The characters were cardboard. The heroine a weepy insipid wimp. The hero although the book says he was caring his behaviour towards the heroine at times beggars belief. He refers to their relationship as a fling, stands her up on her birthday, when he gets home he leaves her to go to another woman. Without seeing her he then goes to work away for a fortnight and calls her once, just leaving a message when he can't get in touch. He is then surprised that she doesn't realise that he loves her.

The misunderstandings are just too ridiculous to be believed. I got to the end by skim reading, that is time I will never get back. Avoid.

It's Always Been You
It's Always Been You

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start but fizzles out., 16 July 2014
A tricky one to score. The book started well and was a real page turner. 25% in I was finding it hard to put the book down and had a late night. I nearly went and ordered some of the back catalogue. But then it kind of fizzles out for me.
1) the hero is much too controlling. It was more understandable near the beginning when he was in love and his wife was not but it never eased off. All the rubbish about approving her clothes, wanting to dictate her job and expecting her to obey him all a big turn off for me.
2) the end of the book was awful. I'm all for a HEA but this one was so sickly as to be vomit inducing,

So the book started as a solid 4 for me but the ending fizzles down to a 1, it was so nauseatingly sweet. So I think a 3 is more than fair.

Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
by Amazon Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars Depressing but essential reading., 11 Jun 2014
Come on amazon, it's not as if you pay much tax, you could at least treat your workforce properly.
The better workers are treated the better they tend to work .

Chosen
Chosen

3.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous ending (spoiler alert), 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Chosen (Kindle Edition)
Gets 3 stars because any book I actually finish deserves at least 3. Starts as a complete page turner. Heroine kidnapped, raped and beaten. A child also abducted. Graphic abuse in places. I liked that the heroine kept trying to fight. Suspense kept up nicely as we see different characters for different reasons trying to track them down. A nice will she or won't she be helped.
The escape from the attacker done quite well and the way the villain twisted the story to the police to implicate the heroine was an interesting twist if somewhat unrealistic.
Now we have 20 year old woman who was raped at 16 and whose only other experience of sex was the beatings and rapes of her abductor. She seduces the man who helped her to escape and enjoyed the sex without problems. WTF. And they live happily ever after. No-one could walk away from what she went through without significant psychological trauma. This is a an insult to all abuse survivors. Ridiculous.

Texas Wild (western romance and sex) (western romance)
Texas Wild (western romance and sex) (western romance)

2.0 out of 5 stars short and not sensual, 22 Feb 2014
Very short story. Characters described rather than shown. Didn't buy into the characters or the relationship. Read the " book" in half an hour. Any longer and I wouldn't have finished it.

Zero's Return (The Legend of ZERO, Book 3)
Zero's Return (The Legend of ZERO, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 15 Feb 2014
Sara King has done it again. I loved this book. How she can write about so many different characters and make me love them all I don't know.
The story of Joe has continued in a direction I would never have considered and I want the next book in the series now!! Please Sara you know you want to publish it.
I can not recommend Sara King highly enough.

All of Me
All of Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: All of Me (Kindle Edition)
What a lovely lovely story. And what a refreshing change from alpha male millionaires. Nathan is a true hero, life has been hard and yet he still wants to help others and tries so hard. He made me cry so much. Stella had also taken some hard blows. Don't know what to put as I do not want to spoil the story for others but this is well worth your money and your time. The story has two very strong characters and the story is very much character driven. The reactions are all very true to the characters. A book to be treasured and reread.

Once I got into the book I checked out the authors page hoping to get some other book and unbelievably this is a début novel. The next story is to be Danny and Kats story. I can't wait.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6