Profile for Ms. C. Smith > Reviews

Content by Ms. C. Smith

Ms. C. Smith (West Yorkshire)

Fireman Sam (Carry-along Colouring)
Fireman Sam (Carry-along Colouring)

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit, 7 Feb. 2009
I bought this as a Christmas present for my friend's son and he was very pleased with it. My friend said that he was talking about it all day after opening it. She said that he liked it because it was like a storybook as well as a colouring book. All in all - a good, inexpensive present or stocking filler.

Practical Magic
Practical Magic
by Alice Hoffman

3.0 out of 5 stars not one of the best, 11 April 2008
This review is from: Practical Magic (Paperback)
I'm really surprised by other people's reviews of this book. I've just finished it and thought it was very average and the least favourite out of the Alice Hoffman books which I've read - The Probable Future being my favourite.

At one point I thought I was reading a book aimed at teenagers as the language seemed to be so simple but then the swearing made me realise it wasn't. I was really glad to finish it.

Fisher-Price Amazing Animals Choo-Choo Train
Fisher-Price Amazing Animals Choo-Choo Train

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought!, 2 Feb. 2008
I was a bit dubious about this at first as my then 8 month old got this as a Christmas present as I wasn't sure what he could do with it but he loves it! He loves crawling after it as it choo choos along and he loves it even more when it's chugging towards him! He also likes derailing it and pulling the animals off. It comes with a giraffe, an elephant and a monkey which are good toys in themselves and I'm going to buy him some more animals for it for his birthday.

The Time Traveler's Wife (Vintage Magic)
The Time Traveler's Wife (Vintage Magic)
by Audrey Niffenegger

4.0 out of 5 stars It'll grab you and pull you in!, 28 Mar. 2005
I knew this was going to be a good book as after about 50 pages I didn't want to do anything else. I unwillingly put it down in the evening as my eyelids started to close themselves, and I didn't want to do any other 'normal' bank holiday activities except read. I knew before I read the book that I liked the concept, but the author took it some place itself, and did things with the story that just made writing and story-telling so effortless.
The characters, Henry and Clare, are really rounded and I really got a sense of their family and friends, as well as themselves. I felt a real empathy with them throughout the book.
The author made the story seem so real and lifelike. After a few hours reading I had to put my mind back in 'real life' as I might well have thought that time-travelling was the norm.
When I put it down at the end I just wanted to hug my boyfriend and celebrate extraordinary relationships.