Profile for Dr. J. G. MCCREA > Reviews

Content by Dr. J. G. MCCREA

Dr. J. G. MCCREA (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Humax HD-FOX T2 Freeview HD Set Top Box
Humax HD-FOX T2 Freeview HD Set Top Box

2.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes a pain to use, decent quality for a while, 9 Oct. 2012
When I got this it was pretty much the only Freeview HD box around. I doubt that is the case any more. Anyway, it is a breeze to set up, connect, tune in, etc, and initially the picture quality was great. I connected a 500 GB HDD to mine to give me a reasonably priced HD recorder (single tuner only). It works, but using it is a major pain sometimes. Recording conflicts are not dealt with well, deleting your season recording with no warning. I wondered why nothing was appearing in my recorded list until I realized this. I also think the interface is awful compared to the Toppy I had, and it's the pits compared to the old TiVo interface (which is 10 years older!).

And now my box has started crashing when viewing HD programmes, so I only watch SD now, which makes it all fairly pointless.

My advice, buy something else, though I have no idea what.

Flashback
Flashback
by Dan Simmons

2.0 out of 5 stars He's as nutty as Frank Miller, 11 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Flashback (Hardcover)
The nitty gritty of the story is fine, and zings along OK, but Dan Simmons is obviously nuts, or just hangs out with one kind of people. And those people are right wing loonies.

I can't think of a single left leaning (or since I am in the UK, centrist policy) policy that he didn't tear into at some point. It just made the book a bit daft.

Go back and re-read one of his sci-fi books. They are masterpieces. This is just political diatribe dressed up in not much of a mystery.

The Zippo Lighter by George G.Blaisdell (Design Classics)
The Zippo Lighter by George G.Blaisdell (Design Classics)
by Tobias Kuhn

4.0 out of 5 stars Great things come in small packages, 22 Feb. 2012
Like the Zippo lighter, this book is small and perfectly formed. Not an designer's overwrought analysis by any means, but the 48 pages are filled with interesting history and photographs (of both the lighters and their environment), and advertising material.

There's no collectors' information, such as which Zippo is the rarest, or which is the most valuable, more a broad sweep of what the Zippo's place is in the World.

I liked it, but don't pay the exorbitant prices some Amazon sellers seem to be asking - I don't know what's going on there!

Little Girl Lost (Hard Case Crime) (Hard Case Crime Novels)
Little Girl Lost (Hard Case Crime) (Hard Case Crime Novels)
by Richard Aleas
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars that leg is a bit long, 12 Jan. 2012
Really? Is it her leg, or another leg she's picked up from somewhere? I haven't read the book, so it is possible it's about a girl who finds a leg and dresses it like her other leg, and dangles it like a crazy optical illusion. That sounds highly unlikely.

Fallen Empires
Fallen Empires
Offered by Global_Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like it, 25 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Fallen Empires (Audio CD)
There are some pretty good tracks, with interesting and cool riffs or effects or choruses all over the place.

Surprised no one on Amazon has mentioned "The Symphony", which starts off like a song by Erasure, but then turns into what is now my favourite Snow Patrol track.

No one can be disappointed in the whole album, can they?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2012 10:54 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I really hope this is unisex, 2 Feb. 2011
I've been wearing this scent for a year or so, and I really hope the title is wrong. I find it fruity, ooer, but still masculine.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2012 1:58 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Not breathable, but great for the price, 2 Feb. 2011
Jacket is mostly as described, but is not breathable. No skirt, either, which seems unusual, nor any headphone frippery, but at the price who can complain.

Jonah Hex [DVD] [2010]
Jonah Hex [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Megan Fox
Offered by Door2DoorEnt

2.0 out of 5 stars well left forgotten, 3 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Jonah Hex [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
It's no wonder this film vanished, because it is just awful. I'll give anything a go, and this wasn't worth it.

Fringe - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2009]
Fringe - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2009]
Dvd ~ Anna Torv

1.0 out of 5 stars Even with a totally hot female lead, this is terrible, 12 May 2010
I never thought I'd give something a bad review with such a beautiful female lead, but this is terrible. Anna Torv's character is weak and stupid, Joshua Jackson doesn't ever seem to do anything, and the older guy whose name I can't even be bothered to find out is so annoying you want to kill him with a stapler.

The plots quickly demonstrate an utter disregard for anything scientific - when decent detective work is cast aside in favour of something like taking a photograph of the last thing a murder victim saw from their optic nerve (!) it's time to turn off the television and watch something else. JJ Abrams also wastes no time diving the whole thing straight into an enormous underground conspiracy.

No wonder this is a cheap box-set. It's garbage.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2011 2:34 PM BST

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

3.0 out of 5 stars perhaps not as good as the hype, 12 April 2010
I remember the first few Henning Mankell books being rather awkwardly translated, and that might be the issue here, but I found this a rather ordinary story compared to some other recent Scandinavian detective stories. The Lisbeth Salander character, a tattooed, troubled, young computer hacker genius must be the reason for its success (see Twilight etc.), though she is sketched so improbably and so lightly.

Page: 1 | 2