Profile for Graham > Reviews

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens
Offered by vaioo cast

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens, 26 Mar 2013
I agonised for about a year before buying this lens. I had upgraded to the 7D which shipped with the excellent 15-85mm kit lens and I wanted some time to learn the camera before investing in new lenses. My secondary consideration is that I rarely shoot in anything other than fairly wide angle.

However, the reviews on this lens finally swung me and I got an excellent Amazon price. The first Saturday after purchase was very bright and sunny so I thought I'd head to the zoo for an initial try out.

I shot a couple of hundred images all at 200mm (obviously) all hand held with a high ISO and shutter speed so camera shake wouldn't be a worry. I was horrified to find when I loaded them into DPP that about three quarters of them were badly focused and wrongly exposed. All my fault, I had made no allowances for the lens properties and was shooting on my preferred auto focus (19 point AF) and Evaluative metering which I had normally used on the original lens to good effect.

Changing auto focus to Manual Select single point AF and metering to centre-weighted average (or similar combinations) and I have been getting superb results ever since.

Its a lens that produces stunning results but you need to think a little when setting up your camera for the first time you use it.

You'll want to shoot everyday with it. My advice is to get one soonest.

Canon PowerShot A4000 IS Digital Camera - Red (16.0 MP, 8x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon PowerShot A4000, 28 Aug 2012
I bought this little beauty for my partner on a special deal recommendation from Amazon. Its incredibly good. I shoot with a Canon 7D and in good light for regular street/landscape/everyday shooting, its hard to spot on the PC which camera took the shot.

Battery life is great and its never been set to anything but full auto and it hasn't muffed a shot yet.

Excellent value for money for an everyday compact camera or even a backup on a more serious shoot.