Profile for Mr. Alan H. Dale > Reviews

Content by Mr. Alan H. Dale

Mr. Alan H. Dale (Norwich, United Kingdom)

The Go-Between [DVD] [1970]
The Go-Between [DVD] [1970]
Dvd ~ Julie Christie

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the ancient AND modern conveyances in the 1900s?, 17 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Go-Between [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I don't recall noticing the 1900s/1970s anomaly on seeing the original production, but on now just watching the DVD I was astonished to see 1970s cars, first of all in The Close of Norwich Cathedral, then later near Melton Hall, Mid Norfolk, from whence the boy and the young lady had been conveyed on a return journey of around forty miles by a 1900s pony cart, in order to shop for his new summer clothes. Lovely shots of old Norwich, Heydon, and the ever-popular, for major filming, North Norfolk seaside.

No complaints whatsoever, but I was really mystified about the cars when all the family and guests at the Hall were riding around in splendid horsedrawn carriages. Until near the end of the film, when it dawned upon me that the anomaly could be a time-warp effect -- but still it made no sense to me. Just maybe the novel itself is clearer?

Alan H Dale, Rackheath, Norwich, England.

Get Some In - Series 4 - Complete [DVD] [1978]
Get Some In - Series 4 - Complete [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ David Janson
Offered by cdrarities speedy uk dispatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Some In is the best National Service programme/film ever!, 28 Oct. 2009
As a Royal Corps of Signals (air support) National Service NCO, often detached to fighter-bomber stations of the RAF in West Germany, I found Get Some In far superior to any other film or programme on the topic. Fascinating in many ways, not least in giving a clearer idea of why the Army is better served by proper, detachment-commanding junior NCOs -- lance corporals -- instead of the RAF's leading aircraftmen (LACs), as scathingly dismissed by Corporal 'Punishment' (Tony Selby) in the TV series!

Something else odd, I found, was how the NS draft in Get Some In were all assigned to medical duties, whereas in 1950 the Royal Signals were meticulous in assessing individually how exacting our training could be, e.g. as morse wireless operators at the top, general duties for some, or transference to the Pioneer Corps. (Not fair on the latter, essential corps, I have later realised!)

Word 2000
Word 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Word 2000 is so good that Microsoft should promise to keep it!, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Word 2000 (CD-ROM)
I bought the disk in panic because I had lost the original and was afraid that Word 2000 might be replaced as part of Windows 7, with no new disks eventually available.

Ups And Downs Of A Handyman [1975] [DVD]
Ups And Downs Of A Handyman [1975] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Barry Stokes

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious rudery!, 19 May 2009
I've known this item on tape, on the telly, and finally on DVD. Generally delighted with it, but still wondering how much PC cutting it is subjected to. Best of all was Ava Cadell, all too often just seen in the distance. What a shame!

Alan H Dale
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2014 8:29 PM BST

National Service: The Best Years of Their Lives
National Service: The Best Years of Their Lives
by John Peel

3.0 out of 5 stars Royal Signals use of morse code not properly researched, 15 Jan. 2009
"National Service -- the Best Years of Their Lives" book by Trevor Royle.

Naturally, the first sector I looked at was about the Royal Corps of Signals, to see how Mr Royle's research agreed or not with my own experiences as a wireless detachment commander with what was in the early 1950s called 1 Air Support Signals Unit, stationed during my time with them at Herford, in the former German Panzer Caserne (barracks), later some ten miles away at Lemgo, also in the then British Zone of Germany.

Examination further into the book was admittedly cursory, as I was so annoyed by the author's assertion that use of the morse code was dropped by the British Army at or just before the end of the Second World War(1939-1945.

In fact, on completion of 1950 basic infantry training at Catterick Camp, Yorkshire, England, during which my colleagues and I were very carefully assessed as to our suitability for training in morse code wireless communications, and having found it not so difficult as many of us feared, some of us were posted to Germany for urgent completion of that education as morse wireless operators were deficient in numbers for the 1950 major training exercise, Broadsword, including other NATO nations, including the Belgian Army.

In time, after much training service with 1 ASSU, detached to infantry brigade HQs and/or Royal Air Force fighter stations across Northern Germany, liaising with Army and RAF appointed officers, I had the honour of being employed as a detachment commander with a crew consisting of a driver and usually about three other wireless operators -- almost excusively using the morse code at quite high speeds, as all of us steadily improved. This was during the Cold War with the seemingly overpowering strength of the massive Russian Army just a few miles away in their post-war zone of Germany. We had just one alarm connected with that threat from the Eastern Zone, but it turned out to be a false alarm at the behest of military high-ups, after we had all paraded late at night with full kit outside our barracks, complete with rifles.

Then, in 1987, I visited the Army Recruiting Office in Norwich, to discuss a shared interest in regimental badges with a Major of HM Lifeguards. On returning to the main office, I was startled to be greeted by Royal Signals Squadron Sergeant-Major Barry Robinson, last seen when both of us were junior NCOs at Lemgo, although he was in Air Formation Signals.

I asked about the state of wireless communications in 1987, to be told the morse operators in Germany were faster than ever before.

Then a few months ago I wrote along these lines to the National Service book author Trevor Royle (foreword by John Peel), via his publishers, about his forty-years-incorrect morse code "National Service: The Best Years of Their Lives" glaring error, but answers came there none. I wonder why!

Alan H Dale, Norwich, England.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2012 10:21 PM GMT

St Trinian's [DVD] [2007]
St Trinian's [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Rupert Everett
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars St Trinian's (2007), 8 July 2008
This review is from: St Trinian's [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
As a devoted, repeated admirer of the superb originals, I found the new film nowhere nearly as good. What is more, the makers seemed to be too scared of political incorrectness to show the beautiful girls at their mini-dressed most sexy best, with too many scenes showing them too close up or too far away to be properly seen. Sorry, but I happen to admire the female form in all its exquisite loveliness and I wondered if the bored or timid film-makers were lovers of the other sex!

As with so many DVDs, the attractive covers rarely match the timidly over-shy contents.