Profile for Book Addict > Reviews

Content by Book Addict

Book Addict "jackie" (ABERGAVENNY, MONMOUTHSHIRE United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Transcend 1TB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Military-Grade Shock Resistance Portable External Hard Drive
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars nice piece of equipment, 13 Nov 2013
I've had this hard drive for a month now, and I'm delighted with it. I use it almost every day and have had no problems at all. It's fast and the prefect size. All in all it's an attractive and small package. I've dropped it on the floor a couple of times, and accidentally removed it from my laptop with properly disconnecting more than once, but this hasn't fazed it all as far as I can see. I've put some more of these on my christmas wish (just in case my other half reads this!)

The Republic of Thieves
The Republic of Thieves
by Scott Lynch
Price: 13.19

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little disappointng, 6 Nov 2013
Having reread the first two books in preparation for the third adventure of Locke and his best friend Jean Tannen, I was left feeling a bit disappointed by this latest tale.
In the first two books Locke is portrayed as a loveable scamp, But in this book I found him to be a bit of a wet blanket. he only really came to life in the scenes with his long lost love Sabetha. Here. the dialogue was crisp and witty, sometimes laugh out loud. But through the rest of the book I wanted to shake him out of his self indulgent introspection. His best friend had just lost the love of his life, and I know that Locke was suffering the effect of the poison given him in book two, but really he offered no support to poor Jean.
I think that what I am trying to say, is that until this book I genuinely liked Locke, but now I don't. And it is difficult to get enthusiastic about a book when the reader finds the main character unsympathetic and unlikeable.
The large indigestible chunks of 'faux' Shakespearian style play were also boring to read and in my opinion added nothing to the book.
I wasn't to keen on the switching back and forth from the present to the past either. Though it did make the story a little more interesting. because the plot of this book which dealt with rigging an election was a bit thin.
I will read the next book but I'm not waiting with such eager anticipation as I was for this book.

Tefal ActiFry Low Fat Fryer - 1 kg - White
Tefal ActiFry Low Fat Fryer - 1 kg - White
Price: 135.08

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect chips, 28 Oct 2013
Just had my actifry delivered this morning and cooked chips for lunch. Nicely browned and crisp on the outside , soft and fluffy on the inside. Much better than I expected and I'm looking forward to trying out some of the recipes from the actifry app I just downloaded onto my phone.

Lowepro Event Messenger 150 Camera Bag for CSC and DSLR - Mica
Lowepro Event Messenger 150 Camera Bag for CSC and DSLR - Mica
Price: 33.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera bag I've ever had, 7 May 2013
As I said in the title this is the best camera bag I've ever had. And I've had a few over the years. They're either too big, too small, too heavy, too bulky, you name it.
But this one is lightweight, smart looking and comfortable to carry. It easily holds my Lumix G2 camera with 14-42 plus a 45-200 lens, a 100-300 telephoto lens. assorted filters, iphone, ipod, cable, and spare battery. The zip pocket in the front takes my purse and there is a compartment at the back that fits my kindle. Everything I could possibly need for a weekend away.
The bag fastens securely in the front for travelling and has quick release velcro attachments if you need to get at your gear in a hurry.
There are plenty of padded bag dividers supplied, too many in fact, so it's easy to vary the layout of the bag depending on what you want to carry. The nice wide mouth makes it easy to take anything out quickly.
I've only had it for a week, but it seems to be built to last. In fact, my husband is so impressed with it he has ordered one for himself.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2013 9:09 AM BST

Cole & Mason Hampstead Precision 215 mm Electronic Stainless Steel Pepper Mill with LED Light
Offered by Discounted prices
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It grinds pepper, what else do you need to know, 9 Jan 2013
See above title, I'll let you know after a couple of years of usage.
Until that time, all I can say is that it is a useful and reasonably attractive addition to my kitchen

Is it Just Me?
Is it Just Me?
by Miranda Hart

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Is it Just Me? (Hardcover)
A very funny book, not laugh out loud , tears streaming down your cheeks funny, but more of a wry smile as you think 'Yes I know exactly what you mean'. To read the book is like hearing Miranda talking to you about life, love, fashion etc with some good conversations with her teenage self interspersed throughout. It is written in a very down to earth way, and makes a very easy read to pass away a few hours.

Cauldron (Priscilla)
Cauldron (Priscilla)
by Jack Mcdevitt
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow start, rushed finish, 20 Sep 2012
This was a book of two halves. the first part dealt with the development of a new star drive, and the financial and political machinations that went on together with the testing of the drive.
The second half was a detail of encounters with three worlds, interactions with aliens and the death of one of the travellers.
The be perfectly honest the first half was quite tedious, and I almost discarded the book several times.
However I'm glad I persevered because the second half was much more interesting, more like a good story from the Golden Age of Science Fiction.
The only problem I had was that because the development of the star drive took up so many pages it felt as if the rest of the book was somewhat rushed

The Cold Commands (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Cold Commands (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a non event., 19 Mar 2012
I've been a fan of Richard Morgan ever since I first read 'Altered Carbon'. It was such a well written and exciting book, I still reread it about once a year. Since then I've read every other book he has produced but never recaptured that thrill supplied by that first book.
When he switched genres to fantasy from Sci-Fi I had high hopes that I would enjoy his new books as much. And 'The Steel Remains' was just excellent , I liked the world he created and I loved Ringil Eskiath, an anti hero with a heart of gold.
After a long wait I finally got my hands on 'The Cold Commands' and looked forward to reading it so much.
Perhaps my anticipation was a bit too much because I felt quite let down by this latest offering. All the characters are there, but nothing seems to happen very much until the very end and then it seems rushed.
Each character, Ringil, Egar, and Archeth wander through the story, the POV changes as you would expect but there seems to be no link up between them until the very end. They meander through the pages, doing not very much and I kept waiting for the story to begin. When it did, it was during the latter pages and it was over in a flash. I felt a little cheated.
The writing is wonderful, no one brings such dark characters to life in such a sympathetic way as the author, but during all the description, I lost my way and while I kept on reading hoping for it all to come together and make sense, it just didn't.
I don't know if Mr Morgan plans on writing a third novel in this series, I hope he does, but please, can we have a beginning, a middle and an end in the next book.

Stands a Shadow: 2 (Heart of the World 2)
Stands a Shadow: 2 (Heart of the World 2)
by Col Buchanan
Price: 6.81

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read., 14 Mar 2012
This second book follows directly on from its predecessor Farlander.
Ash, the Farlander of the previous book is in Q'os seeking retribution for the murder of his apprentice Nico. As a Roshun assassin such a search for personal vengeance is against everything that he has been taught. His target, the Holy Matriarch of Man leaves Q'os at the head of an army , her plan is to conquer the fortress of Bar-Khos, a city that has been besieged by the Mannians for ten long years. Ash follows, waiting for his opportunity to strike.
Che, a trained killer of the state, also trained as a Roshun assassin, questions his loyalty to Mann as he travels with the matriarch to Bar-Khos.
Meanwhile in Bar-Khos preparations are made to repel the Matriarchs army. Bahn a shell shocked soldier and veteran of the siege queries whether or not he is brave enough to stay in the city or should he escape with his family.
Curl, a new character in this book is a refugee from her island home, fleeing the Mannians who destroyed it.
This book was a very enjoyable read. The characters are complex and beautifully realised by the author. Even the Matriarch herself, while completely ruthless and bloodthirsty is acting in revenge from a severe personal loss she suffered in the previous book. So the reader can understand why she acts in the way she does, even though she is not really a very sympathetic character.
Ash is an old man and it is occasionally rather incredible that he survives the trials and tribulations that he is faced with. But you do find yourself cheering him on.
If I have any quarrel with the book it is that I do like a book with a female character who is both strong and likeable, and while Curl, who starts out as a drug addicted prostitute eventually joins the army as a medic is both of these, she really plays quite a small part in the story and I was kind of hoping for more from this book, especially as the previous installment didn't really have any women in it except for Matriarch of course.
But this is a relatively minor quibble and I am looking forward to the next installment, hopefully it won't be too long.

Timeless: Book 5 of The Parasol Protectorate
Timeless: Book 5 of The Parasol Protectorate
by Gail Carriger
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and most enjoyable., 7 Mar 2012
The fifth adventure in The Parasol Protectorate takes the expanding family to Egypt at the special request of the oldest living vampire queen.
Alexia, a perfect Victorian lady , despite the fact that she is in fact, half Italian, and her werewolf husband Lord Maccon are accompanied by their new daughter Prudence. Prudence is a remarkably talented child and stretches the abilities of both her parents in their attempts to moderate her behaviour (The Terrible two's strike again)
Add in Alexia's rather silly but brave friend Ivy Tunstell, twins, her actor husband and a complete acting troupe and the adventure begins.
Meanwhile back home, Biffy and Lord Lyall also try to unravel the origin of the God Breaker Plague.
I enjoyed reading this book very much indeed. The main characters feel like old friends and the lesser characters develop nicely in this latest installment. I particularly liked the story of Biffy a vampire drone turned werewolf, he becomes so much more than a clothes mad dandy in this book and I'm sad to find out that this is the last book Ms Carriger is going to write in this series, because I would have liked to read many more installments set in this world.
The descriptions are vivid, and the dialogue is witty and frothy enough to cause several 'laugh out loud' moments.
The books joins the very few books that I have read in a single day, not that I am that rapid a reader it is just that it is too good to put down except when absolutely necessary.
PS, I want a parasol like Alexia's .......

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6