Profile for Steven Brown > Reviews

Content by Steven Brown
Top Reviewer Ranking: 305

Steven Brown (Edinburgh)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Latte Glasses x 2 - Coffee Cup with handles - Ideal for Hot Chocolate, Tea, Coffee, Mocha - Costa Style, High Quality, Luxurious, Gift Box, Tall - 250 ml (8.8oz) - Bring the modern coffee shop to your own kitchen
Offered by Pot & Kettle Black (UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality glasses, 22 May 2015
Got these as they looked a good size for hot chocolate, and I'm really pleased with them. Perfect size for a decent hot chocolate or latte.

When I took them out of the box, I was immediately impressed by the quality. They feel heavy, but not too much - just the right weight for feeling that they have some substance to them, and won't break easy.
This weight doesn't come at the expense of style - the glasses look great, sleek design, with a simple glass handle at the side.

Coupled with the price these are on offer for, this is a great deal, and highly recommended.

Great Spanish and Latin American Short Stories of the 20th Century: A Dual-Language Book (Dover Dual Language Spanish)
by Anna E. Hiller Ph.D

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for intermediate Spanish readers, 19 May 2015
Got this as my Spanish reading is quite rusty after a gap in learning (and very sporadic learning at that). Would rate myself as an intermediate Spanish reader (unfortunately speaking/listening are still at beginner level!)

Really pleased with this book - feels ideal for an intermediate reader. It's too much for a beginner, though I guess even advanced readers would get something out of it - the selection of material is from a fairly wide range of Spanish language literature, so think it would be of interest to people who are beyond intermediate.

For me it's perfect - there are 14 stories in all, from a diverse range of sources. Each page has Spanish text on the left, corresponding English text on the right - so nice and easy to glance over to check difficult words or phrases.

Another nice touch is that each story has a page or 2 about the author - I found this excellent to give the story some context, and place the writing in its geography and time.

In summary, highly recommended.

LEGO 60077 City Space Port Starter Set
LEGO 60077 City Space Port Starter Set
Offered by ToyWarehouseUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good lego starter set, 18 May 2015
This is one of a new release of Lego space products being introduced over the next few weeks/months, and I picked it up as I think the space range is a great, exciting theme for kids.

This starter set is great value (like many of the other Lego starter sets). Given how expensive single mini figs can be, getting 4 in this pack is good value, along with lots and bit and pieces - a nice (though fairly basic) moon buggy, a computer console, and other space-type equipment - makes it a good, fun set, and good value for money. Recommended!

MaxiNutrition Shaker Mix Master (Formerly Known as Maximuscle)
MaxiNutrition Shaker Mix Master (Formerly Known as Maximuscle)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mixer, 15 May 2015
I use this for mixing protein powder, have bought a couple of similar products, and this is the best by far. The mesh approach to mixing seems more effective to me that having a mixer ball.

Mixes the shake very well (no lumps), and is easy to tighten/loosen top, and flip part for drinking (all of which are problems with other shakers I've used.

Highly recommended.

Belkin 2 Way Multi Plug Travel Surge with 2 x 2.4amp USB Charging
Belkin 2 Way Multi Plug Travel Surge with 2 x 2.4amp USB Charging

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent travel plug, 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got the 2 way version of this plug, as thought it would be really useful when travelling in the UK. It's really good - nice and compact, and the feature that sold it to me is the 2 USB ports - as so many things use micro-USB these days, having to just bring USB cables, rather than sets of plugs that can only be used for charging USB is great.

Pins fold nice and flat for travelling, and it feels pretty sturdy too - well designed and well built - recommended.

Igenix IG7400 Traditional Corded Kettle - Metallic Red
Igenix IG7400 Traditional Corded Kettle - Metallic Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent colourful kettle, 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this as needed a new kettle, and thought the colour looked a great match for our red coffee machine - and sure enough it looks great. The finish is nice and bright, and not tacky, which I think is a risk in buying this kind of thing.

It's a nice old fashioned type style, but nice and easy to pour using the handle extended over the top. Fill is easy, the spout is wide enough, and you fill directly through it.
It boils quickly, and reasonably quietly.

All in all, an excellent kettle.

Garmin Fenix 3 GPS Multisport Watch with Outdoor Navigation and Heart Rate Monitor - Silver
Offered by International Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the line sports watch, 13 May 2015
I got this as an upgrade from the Garmin Forerunner 620, (a running watch I was by and large very happy with) as I'm beginning to ramp up some triathlon training, with an idea of doing one next year. Not really a necessity, but useful to have, and always nice to treat myself to a cutting edge gadget. So this review might be slightly tinged with comparison to other items in the Garmin line.

On opening the box, I was very impressed. This is a very polished looking product, it looks solid, well finished, and generally looks pretty classy. It is pretty big - much larger than the Forerunner 620, and heavier too. However, I couldn't see myself wearing the 620 as a normal watch, whereas this looks good to use on a daily basis.

The screen is excellent - very good resolution. It can maybe seem slightly dark occasionally - there is a backlight, but this needs switched on (or can be set to come with alerts).

A big change from the 620 is the lack of a touchscreen. This initially felt like a step back to my garmin 305, and wasn't sure it was a good one. However, I quickly warmed to it - actually found it easier to press buttons and control the watch on the move, rather than tapping and swiping a fairly small screen area. There are 5 buttons, so it's got any functionality you need on the move covered - key being up/down buttons on mid and bottom right, with OK/Start/Stop on the top right. Top left button is back light, and bottom right is the Lap button.

Before I started, I setup some sensors. I had an existing HRM-Run monitor, which was easily paired, as was the Bluetooth smart with Garmin Connect Android App. Didn't bother with Wifi, as phone is usually in close proximity.

Setting User Profile data was painless as well - prompts to go through at start up, and easier to do with buttons. The clock is set with GPS - getting this lock was painless - similar to the 620, under 5 seconds with the pre-caching of satellites, and a few seconds more without. The watch also has GLONASS (the Russian GPS system) - I’ve not seen much different with it switched on or off though. I suppose it might be useful if you’re not getting much luck with GPS lock.

----------
Main use of my watch is for running, so was key to try it on that. In particular, I had read some poor reports of GPS tracking, especially in wooded areas. I’ve tried a few runs, and I’ve not seen this behaviour yet. Activity/distance/pace etc tracked spot on, and pace number was very reactive in particular.

The customisation of data fields is excellent. You have TEN possible screens to scroll through if you want. (I’d think this many would be unwieldy, but great to have the option). You can have between 1 and 4 data fields on each of those screens. There are a huge amount of data fields available, and these are set with the best UI I’ve seen for setting these fields, with a little mini watch face showing where they would go. Could only easier than this, if you could do it on the computer and sync it across.
In addition to the data field screens, you can enable a map (showing your trail only - don’t expect maps on it), and Virtual Pacer - set your per mile pace, and you get told if you’re ahead or behind - I use this screen a lot.

One of the functions that I was disappointed that was missing in the 620 was virtual racer. I used this a lot on the 610, and thought it was pretty poor that it was dropped from the 620. Was one of the reasons I picked up the Fenix 3, as it’s back. Initially I had limited success - there is a strange bug where loading a course from garmin connect, and racing against it, compares you against the actual start time of that activity. So if you did a run yesterday, and set it as a course to race against, it would say that you were 24 hours behind! However, this is only for courses - when I actually said that I would like to race against a specific activity I had done on the Fenix, it worked exactly as expected - tracking exactly how far ahead/behind I was.

---------
Cycling is my least used area, but initial impressions are as with running. There are 2 modes, (cycling and cycling indoor) - seems to have good accuracy, and speed seems to be spot on. Similar range of custom screens/data fields is great, so very happy with it for this.

------------
This is the sport I’m trying to up, as it’s the lowest base in terms of doing a triathlon. I’ve been amazed by how good this watch is for it. It quite amazingly (I don’t know if I’m inordinately impressed with this), but it calculates which stroke you are using. I struggle doing too much front crawl, and usually mix and match with breast stroke, and it’s so useful to just track how much I’m actually doing of each, and have a log on how much I’m improving. You can set various lengths of pool - 25m being most common I guess, but you can’t put anything under 17m, so if it’s a small hotel or gym pool, this might not work so well.

-------
There are a few other quite good features. There is good smart phone connectivity - notifications of SMS (which you can read on the watch), incoming calls. You can also control music on your phone, which is a great feature for me - keeping phone in my pocket when listening to music, and using the watch to skip back and forth is excellent, a feature I hadn’t even really considered from the phone.

There is also the addition of ConnectIQ - you can download Widgets/Watch Faces/Apps onto your Fenix. Looks easy enough to use, but to be honest, I’ve not seen an awful lot so far that I think would be that useful. Most are fairly niche - score keepers for tennis/golf, random watch faces etc. Golf score keeper is quite handy. But I’m not seeing any must-have apps - main one I’d be delighted to see is some kind of Strava segment app. No idea if that is a realistic prospect or not.

Another neat touch is the built in sensors - temperature, barometer, and altitude. I do a fair amount of hill running, so more accurate altitude readings is very useful. I also have a strong correlation between colder weather and better running performance, so the temperature sensor is good to try and correlate.

There are also other activity types I’ve not covered - skiing and hiking. There is also a triathlon mode, that can do transitions as well, and you can change which activities/order of those activities, or just use a default triathlon order if want.

In summary - I’m delighted with this watch - it looks good, packed full of functions, fast and acute in use. It’s obviously not cheap, but there is no doubt that you are very much getting the top of the line in multi sports activity kit - highly recommended.

Garmin Fenix 3 Gray GPS HRM-Run - Heart Rate Belt Bundle 010-01338-11 Grey
Garmin Fenix 3 Gray GPS HRM-Run - Heart Rate Belt Bundle 010-01338-11 Grey
Offered by Top Time

Garmin Fenix 3 GPS Multisport Watch with Outdoor Navigation - Silver
Garmin Fenix 3 GPS Multisport Watch with Outdoor Navigation - Silver
Offered by Farmaweb s.r.l.

Garmin Fenix 3 Silver GPS HRM-Run - Heart Rate Belt Bundle 010-01338-16