Profile for Steven Brown > Reviews

Content by Steven Brown
Top Reviewer Ranking: 323

Steven Brown (Edinburgh)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
MaxiNutrition Promax Protein Shake Powder 1.12 kg - Strawberry
MaxiNutrition Promax Protein Shake Powder 1.12 kg - Strawberry

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protein powder, 30 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Quite like this protein shake powder. I find that it mixes very well (better than several other powders I've tried), is very drinkable, and makes a huge difference to after run recovery for me.

I do think the taste could be a bit better - I prefer the SIS strawberry protein powder, it doesn't quite have the slight unpleasant aftertaste you get with this to remind you this is a protein shake, and not a milkshake, but this taste isn't strong enough to ruin the product, but would give it 4 stars instead of 5 because of this. Recommended.

Philips M2BTBK Fidelio Wireless Bluetooth Headphone - Black
Philips M2BTBK Fidelio Wireless Bluetooth Headphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb bluetooth headphones, 29 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm delighted with these headphones. I usually favour in-ear headphones for being lighter, and blocking out external noise, but thought there would be worth a try.

Look and feel is excellent - the headphones are very light, and look very sleek. No exposed wires, hinge between earpieces and bracket is flush, all in all it looks and feels like a premium product.

Control is great - no fiddly, small buttons to deal with - virtually an entire side of one of the earpieces is the on/off/pair button. This has a toggle at the side which can be pushed up and down for volume - so both controls are very easy to find while you've got the headphones on your head.
At the bottom of one earpiece is the micro-USB charge point, the other side is a jack for a standard audio cable, in case the battery runs out.

Bluetooth pairing was very easy - hold the big buttom for 5 seconds when the headphones are off, and it popped up on my phone - absolutely no issue. Turning on headphones later has been no issue, very quickly pairs with my Nexus 6.

The sound is excellent too - great, booming bass the noticeable highlight for me, but the quality across the range is superb, fantastic richness throughout - I'm not a huge audiophile, but very easy to hear the quality in these headphones.

In summary, a superb pair of bluetooth headphones, highly recommended.

Bigjigs Rail Heritage Collection Mallard Train Set
Bigjigs Rail Heritage Collection Mallard Train Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant starter wooden railway set, 22 July 2015
This is a great wee train set for young kids. It's a good starter loop of track, a having the bridge and the separate track joining the loops together make it great value for money.

The train looks great, a lovely mini representation of the Mallard.

There are various other nice accessories - houses, cars, and trees. The only thing I don't think is great is the people, as they are a bit clunky - not as good as the Brio people - however, the Bigjigs wooden people are definitely more suitable for younger kids, I would have said.

In summary, an excellent starter wooden railway set.

TOYOTA PRIUS 2003-2009 HEYNER SPOILER windscreen WIPER BLADES 26"16"
TOYOTA PRIUS 2003-2009 HEYNER SPOILER windscreen WIPER BLADES 26"16"
Offered by alca-heyner shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement windscreen wipers, 22 July 2015
Really pleased with these windscreen wipers for my 2007 Toyota Prius. Pack includes both drivers and passenger side front screen wipers.

They seem good quality, and took me less than a minute each to fit - you just get rid of the old one, clip the small plastic insert onto the wiper, then pull the whole assembly into the wiper arm bracket - hard to see how it could be any more straightforward.

Highly recommended.

Suunto Ambit 3 Sports Watch - White/Silver
Suunto Ambit 3 Sports Watch - White/Silver
Offered by Sportversand Kim Mueller

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb multi sport watch, 22 July 2015
I got this as I needed a triathlon focussed watch. I had tried the Garmin Fenix3 - generally an excellent watch, but Garmin seem to have completely botched the GPS implementation in it, and have been flailing around for a few months now without providing a fix.
I’ve been a Garmin user for years, but due to their poor support and communication on the Fenix3 issue, I decided to jump ship and given something else a try - so choice was between Suunto Ambit3, and Polar V800 - was a tough choice, but Polar not having yet implemented Strava auto sync was a deal breaker, so I plumped for the Ambit3.

On opening the box, I was impressed. The watch is nice, it looks solid, well finished.. It is fairly chunky, a couple of people have commented on the size - but I think it looks pretty good.

The screen is good, though monochrome. There is no touchscreen - after the Forerunner 610/620 it felt like a retrograde step, but after a few users, I actually found it easier to press buttons and control the watch on the move, rather than tapping and swiping a fairly small screen area. There are 5 buttons, so it's got any functionality you need on the move covered - key being up/down + start/stop buttons on top and bottom right, with next on the middle right. bottom right button is back light, and top left is the Lap button.

Not sure some of the UI is quite thought through - main problem being if I wanted to start an exercise, you have to press top right (start) to bring up menu, middle right to move from exercise to the menu, then up/down and middle right again to pick a sport. I found this a bit of a faff, until I read the manual and realised that I could assign a shortcut to the bottom left button, and it would take me straight to a particular screen - I assigned this to Running, so very fast to getting ready to go.

Before I started, I setup some sensors. I had an existing Polar bluetooth heart rate monitor, which was easily paired, as was the Bluetooth smart with Android App. Android link was initially flakey, but after I had the watch for 1 week, v2 of the firmware (rather than v1.5) was released, and it has been rock solid since then.

Setting User Profile data was painless as well - prompts to go through at start up, and easier to do with buttons.

Data Fields
-------------
Thought I’d cover this separately, as cuts across all the sports - customisation of data fields is excellent, though at first I struggled a bit - rather than doing it on the watch, the best way to do it is on the Suunto Movescount website. You can only show 1-3 data fields (which I initially felt was restrictive compared to the usual Garmin 4), however, again, got used to it very quickly, as there is a bit more flexibility on individual screens - so you can have 7 items available on one screen - top 2 are always shown, then when you are in an activity, you can use the view button to cycle through items 3 to 7, in the field 3 position.
You can have a total of 8 screens in total, each customisable in the way listed above.

These 8 screens are organised by sport mode - there is a range of default modes out of the box, and you can have 10 in total, so again, great flexibility in different options.
If you add a new sport mode, you can either build it from scratch, or you can choose from a huge list of default modes, so it makes it nice and easy to add things in.

You can enable mapping on each of the modes by ticking the routing mode - this adds an extra screen with a navigation route to follow. Not something I would use too often, but I have used it on the odd hill run.

After initial misgivings, I’m very happy with how to customise, and getting good use out of the different screens. There are other useful options - Auto Pause, Auto Lap (see to your own distance) - a must feature for me, and auto scrolling.

Running
----------
Main use of my watch is for running, so tried that first. I was nervous about GPS tracking after the Fenix3 experience, but the Ambit3 GPS is night and day, it’s absolutely spot on - the tracks on the map are superb, and the distance is spot on. Activity/distance/pace etc tracked spot on, and pace number was very reactive - and interestingly not rounded to the nearest 5 seconds, a la Garmin.

There are 2 modes out of the box, Running and Run a Route - quite useful being able to customise them both with slightly different fields if required.

Cycling
---------
Cycling is my least used area, but initial impressions are as with running. There seems to have good accuracy, and speed seems to be spot on. Similar range of custom screens/data fields is great, so very happy with it for this.

Swimming
------------
This is the sport I’m trying to up, as it’s the lowest base in terms of doing a triathlon.
I didn't find this quite as good as the Fenix3 - mainly because Fenix3 could guess my swimming stroke out of the box. The Ambit3 needs trained to learn different strokes. Worked quickly and easily, so not exactly a huge black mark, but definitely not as slick.

Other
-------
There are a few other quite good features. There is good smart phone connectivity - painless connection to Bluetooth, and usually connects to my phone and sends my data to Suunto (and from there onto Strava/Preva/TrainingPeaks, if you want) when I get back from a run before I’ve even noticed it.
There isn’t much in the way of notifications, or controlling music etc that the Fenix3 offered - I believe notifications are coming, but not there yet.

There is also a slew apps that you can add. A lot of these are Suunto built, and add good extra functionality - for example - a Virtual Pacer for running at 7 minute miles, which you effectively add as an extra data screen to a sport mode. This is a nice flexible way to add apps, without having to run them as completely separate apps.
It’s perhaps more limited than the Garmin approach - however, as I noted on my Fenix 3 review, I didn’t see much of use on the IQ store - so not really missing out here.

There is also a triathlon mode, that can do transitions as well, and you can change which activities/order of those activities, or just use a default triathlon order if want.

In summary - I’m delighted with this watch - it looks good, packed full of functions, fast and accurate in use. While it is missing some bells and whistles of it’s Garmin Fenix3 or 920XT competitor - e.g. temperature sensor, 4 data fields, colour screen - the Ambit3 is a big jump down cost wise, and given the Fenix3 is so poor in its most basic function (GPS reception), all those bells and whistle count for nothing. This watch is great value, and I would highly recommend it.

Kaffe Fassett Cleanse Hand Wash 480 ml
Kaffe Fassett Cleanse Hand Wash 480 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hand wash, 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really pleased with this hand wash - it's got a very pleasant scent, though not too overpowering. It feels pretty gentle on the hands too.

Fairly expensive, but it's a big bottle for the money, and looks pretty nice with its psychedelic flower label. Highly recommended.

JollySports Swim Goggles with Anti Fog, Best for Adult Men, Women and Older Kids - Nose Clip, Ear Plugs and Case Included (Black, One Size)
Offered by Grabbits

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent goggles, 21 July 2015
I'm really pleased with these goggles - didn't expect anything nearly as good for the price.

They look very good - nice wide eye pieces, that are mirrored, so look excellent. Fit is very comfortable, eye pieces fit nicely, and give a good field of vision.
There is a wide range of positions on the band to adjust, so would fit a very large selection of head sizes.

In addition to the goggles, I was impressed with the extras - the case is also very sleek - a hard shell clip case, with nose clip and ear plugs also included.

In summary, an excellent pair of goggles, highly recommended.

#DoYourFitness Foam Roller »Ishana« Graffiti New Style, High Density Fascia roll for Massage, Workout, Fitness and Pilates, black-red
Offered by #DoYourSports GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent foam roller, 20 July 2015
This is an excellent foam roller. I really rate using a foam roller post exercise to ease aches and strains, and aid recovery. I've got a large size foam roller, and thought I would try this one, as handy to have one that is a bit easier to pull out and use quickly.

This is pretty hard foam (which I prefer), and I like the staggered raised parts, which really dig into the muscles and work them more than a smooth style foam roller.

It's also nice and lightweight. All in all, an excellent foam roller, and highly recommended.

Kuuk Mini Pull Chopper Food Processor - Vegetable, Fruit, Garlic and Herb Slicer
Offered by iHeadphones UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent kitchen gadget, 20 July 2015
This is a superb kitchen gadget. My wife rolled her eyes when it first appeared in the kitchen, thinking it was another useless gadget. However, I thought it was good, and I persuaded her to give it a try, and very quickly she admitted she had made a mistake.

It makes light work of chopping - best used for smallish items, such as garlic or similar. You just pull the handle, and the blades inside spin round very quickly, chopping whatever is inside to very fine pieces.

It's nice and compact, so doesn't take up a lot of space. All in all, makes a nice, useful, kitchen gadget, highly recommended.

Philips S720/17 Series 1000 Click and Style Shaver / Beard Trimmer in One
Philips S720/17 Series 1000 Click and Style Shaver / Beard Trimmer in One

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent shaver, 20 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a decent enough shaver, but probably would avoid if you have particularly tough growth - as many other reviewers have commented, probably more suited to the younger audience - I reckon it would've done a turn for me around 20, but those days are long gone, and this struggled with the tougher stubble around my chin, even with several passes, it didn't feel that close.

However, handled lighter areas very well, and the smart click system is quite neat, and worked to tidy up sideburns and back of neck, so it's definitely a pretty good product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20