Profile for Steven Brown > Reviews

Content by Steven Brown
Top Reviewer Ranking: 330

Steven Brown (Edinburgh)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ugreen Premium Displayport 1.2v Male to Male Audio Video Cable Gold Plated with Latches Compatible for Latest HDTVs, Projectors, Displays 6ft/ 2m
Offered by UGREEN GROUP LIMITED UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value monitor cable, 29 Mar. 2015
Got this for a new monitor - this cable is perfect for it - good build quality, works perfectly for a 4K display. (just check both your video card and monitor support DisplayPort 1.2!)

Hard to beat this kind of value - highly recommended.

AOC U2868Pqu 28 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (80m:1, 300 cd/m2, 3840 x 2160, 1ms, VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP/USB)
Offered by Aurora-tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible screen for the price, 28 Mar. 2015
Got this as one of my monitors was looking pretty tired, and wanted something a bit bigger.

Having investigated the options, there are several good monitors out there, and was very tempted by the higher resolution Quad HD range of monitors. I also thought that there isn't a lot of 4K content yet, so paying a lot for a 4K monitor didn't seem to much sense.

However, having seen this monitor, the argument was kind of turned on its head - for this price, it would seem daft to pay a similar amount for something like QHD when you could get a 4K monitor and have some level of future proofing.

So I ordered this, and of course the key point of the argument above is whether the monitor is actually any good.
In short - I've been delighted. No problems setting up the monitor - simply clipping in a stand, and turning a wee thumb screw to tighten it up. The monitor swivels nice and easily to do portrait orientation.

Windows 8.1. recognised the monitor with absolutely no issues - and you could see the quality immediately. The resolution is actually so dense that I had to up the scaling of Windows so that the icons were big enough to read.
The clarity on the screen is fantastic, it just looks really smooth. The colours are also brilliant and vivid, it is very clear how much a jump in technology this is, even to HD monitors.

Have also played a few games on it, and again, looks unbelievable (even though initially I actually had to lower some quality settings, as my graphics card wasn't capable of driving 4K at 60MHz - though I've remedied this since by adding another card with CrossFire - worth a consideration that you have to be sure about your graphics card before you buy this!)

The very minor fault is that I sometimes see a bit of jittering, a slight line down the middle of the screen. However, I'm not marking down, as I've seen this very sporadically, and it seems to be for a very short time after the monitor wakes.

In summary - an incredible screen for an incredible value price - highly recommended.

Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Offered by PRICE PROMISE EXPEDITED DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS FREE WITHIN THE UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware, dreadful software, 25 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this speaker system in addition to my already existing Sonos setup, so was very interested to see the comparison.

The look and feel of the speaker is very good. maybe not quite as stylish as Sonos, but I thought it looked good, and feels very well built.

Given some of the other reviews, I expected setup to be painful. On my main Android phone, it was hopeless - I think because trying to add it to a network which Android 5.1 detected was not on the Internet, and would not automatically re-connect. Rather than mess about, I used an old device, and the setup went through absolutely no problem, connected to my Wifi quickly and easily.

I could then use my "normal" device running 5.1 to download and use the Panasonic streaming app. Had no problem getting some music playing through the speakers.
The music quality is excellent, and if I was rating this on sound alone, I would be giving 5 stars. It has a great range, sounds very clear, and is a joy to listen to.

Unfortunately, the software is just dreadful. Someone on the software design team at Panasonic needs their jotters, because to be able to see what the rest of the market (i.e. mainly Sonos) is doing in this area, and come out with an app like this beggars belief.

Could not be less intuitive - the music source page makes reasonable sense, though not sure about some sources (my Sonos speakers appear as source, but can't actually be accessed). After that, it's very unclear how you are supposed to navigate, and it's easy to end up closing the application by using the back button.

The actual playing, depending on the source, is incredibly buggy. It's usually fairly reliable playing media that is on the android device being played - though I still had issues with tracks just moving to the next one before they were finished.
Other sources are painful - for example using my plex server (which is capable of serving up HD to my TV, so shouldn't be a bandwidth problem) - either skipping (if you're lucky) or the woeful "Cannot play a song" error message, with "Confirm" button.

Releasing an application so basic, awkward to use, and bug ridden, to drive devices worth hundreds of pounds is simply unacceptable.

I'm pretty much giving up on the streaming aspect, and just using the speaker as a computer output - the sound is excellent, so this is a very good use for it, and I just hope Panasonic have another look at their (preferably while looking at the Sonos app beside it), and do something about it.

Cole & Mason Precision Grind 12 cm Windsor Black Gloss Beech Wood Salt & Pepper Mill Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality salt and pepper grinders, 24 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very impressed with this salt and pepper set. Very nice packaging - ideal as a gift set, as looks very classy.

The grinders themselves continue this quality theme - nice black gloss finish, looks very stylish and modern. They have a very good heft to them, feel very substantial, and generally look very good quality.

Easy to adjust grinding coarseness, they do their job very well.

Highly recommended.

Motorola Scout 85 Connect with Wi-Fi, Black
Motorola Scout 85 Connect with Wi-Fi, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, shame about the post purchase payments, 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this as a security camera I could quickly check when out the house.

Build quality seems pretty good, better than a lot of the cheapie Chinese efforts that are prevalent everywhere.

Setup was fiddly - initially attempts seemed to find the camera, but couldn't join it to the network. After restarting the camera, and trying again it worked (though slowly).

Picture and video quality is excellent, the app is easy to use, and it's a good camera to quickly check what's going on at home.

However, for me the key reason for these cameras is the motion detection, as while a quick check is useful, you're not going to sit and watch the feed constantly.
Unfortunately, though you get it free for 2 weeks, there is a tiered pricing structure to it - basically the lowest tier keeps images for a day, next one for a week, etc. Price ramps up pretty high to me, for what should be a basic feature included with cameras like this. I've seen other cameras trying this approach, and it always strikes me to use phone apps and cloud combination to justify an ongoing. There is no reason similar functionality couldn't be had by just emailing out from camera using a suitable email account, and users could instantly have a picture/video of what has just happened at home.

In summary, a very good piece of hardware let down by additional pricing structure on top of the cost of the camera.

Philips GC9236/02 PerfectCare Expert Steam Generator Iron with OptimalTemp - 320 g Steam Boost, 1.5 L, 2400 W, Purple/White

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent iron, 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first I thought this iron seemed quite bulky - the whole package is bigger than a standard iron. However, once I used it, I realised that it doesn't really matter, and is actually a benefit - all your water is stored in the main reservoir that can sit at the side, and means the iron component is actually lighter and smaller than a normal iron.

The effectiveness of the iron is fantastic. The powerful release of steam is a huge help to any ironing. It takes about 15-20 seconds from the first time you press the steam button for it to feed through, but then it's pretty much instant.
Makes short work of any of the ironing I do (mainly cotton shirts), but no bother on any of the others settings with other fabrics.

The vertical steam feature is brilliant as well - have used it on a variety of things while they are on their hangers with excellent results.

In summary, pretty pricey, but highly recommended.

Motorola Nexus 6 64GB SIM-Free - Midnight Blue
Motorola Nexus 6 64GB SIM-Free - Midnight Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb phone, 17 Mar. 2015
Got this after coming to the end of contract on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. A phone which I enjoyed using, but was in a bit of a state with a cracked screen, and was very frustrating with the glacial (or non-existent) pace of release of Android updates by Samsung - the least useful bit of the phone was the Samsung bloatware on it.
So I had already decided for my next contract that I would consider the Nexus devices. I was loathe to lose my big screen though, so was delighted when the Nexus 6 was released, and I had the opportunity to use stock Android with a huge screen.

It's not been a disappointment in the month or so I've had it. The screen is superb - very good size, beautifully bright and crisp, and a huge improvement from the Note 2 screen in quality.

The performance of the phone is superb as well. I find it very responsive, even with multiple apps open, it flicks about with no issues, and is a good advert for having the barebones operating system on it. This responsiveness even extends out to use through bluetooth - I listen to music through phone paired with my car - with the Note 2, skipping tracks had a 1 second pause, I always just assumed this was a limitation of bluetooth control - but response is instant with the Nexus.

No micro SD card slot did make me pause for a bit, but I reckoned the 64GB internal storage would be plenty.

Have seen mixed reviews about the camera quality, but again, I've been impressed, I've taken several shots in fairly low light environments, and been really impressed with the colour and clarity of the pictures.

Only minor gripe I can think of is battery life. Does need pretty much charged every day, and heavy use will run it down more quickly than that. Not a big deal for me, as I keep a charger at work, but it does feel like it needs charged more frequently than the Note 2 did. The accompanying rapid charger is pretty good that, and alleviates the pain of this somewhat.

All in all, this is an excellent phone - may well feel too big for some, but for me the great screen space makes it easily worthwhile. Highly recommended.

LEGO City Coast Guard 60011: Surfer Rescue
LEGO City Coast Guard 60011: Surfer Rescue
Offered by AVIDES u.k.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wee Lego set, 15 Mar. 2015
Got this as a wee present for my 4 year old son - he saw the surfboard and the shark, and was very keen on it.

Amazon seems quite expensive for this just now, but if you can get it for three to four pounds, it's an excellent set. The shark is quite substantial, the surfboard is nice (though just a single piece of lego with sticker to go on it). The watercraft is good, a slightly cut down version of the jet skis in set 60058. Quite easy to put together, not a huge amount of parts - easy enough for the aforementioned 4 year old to put it together himself.

My son really likes it, and if you can get the right price for it, it's highly recommended.

City Police LEGO ATV Patrol
City Police LEGO ATV Patrol

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lego set, 15 Mar. 2015
This review is from: City Police LEGO ATV Patrol (Toy)
Got this as a wee present for my son - was cheap (less than four pounds, a lot cheaper than the current amazon price). Have been very impressed with the value of the set - good amount of detail in the set. The bush that can hide the snake/or the backpack and money is a particular favourite.

The other items in the set are a thief, and a policeman in an ATV. Both are good minifigs. The ATV itself is very simple, not a lot of pieces in it, and doesn't take a lot to put it together.
There are a few other small accessories - a stick for grabbing the snake, and some handcuffs.

My son loved it, and if you can get the right price for it, it's highly recommended.

Bristle Block 50 piece Basic builder bucket
Bristle Block 50 piece Basic builder bucket

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant toy, 12 Mar. 2015
My sons received this is a gift, and I did wonder if they would be as popular as they were back when I was growing up, as seems like kids today have more toys, and some pretty amazing things.

However, these have been absolutely brilliant. My 4 year old and 2 year old can both play for hours together - favourite is putting together rockets, and flying them round the house, which usually ends in a crash - which they love building the rocket back up from.

Allows a lot of creativity, but also is easier for younger kids than something like Lego, as much easier for a 2 year old to connect these kind of blocks, as they don't have to be so precise when pushing them together.

An excellent toy, highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20