Profile for MP > Reviews

The Little Stranger
The Little Stranger
by Sarah Waters

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful!!!!!, 16 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Little Stranger (Paperback)
My Husband bought this for me to cheer me up. I was so excited by the blurb, that I started to read immediately. I got to p223 and was still bored! I kept reading waiting for the scary parts. I heard someone discuss it on a radio show, that afternoon. One person was reading it for a book club and was totally bored. He was at p300! I started to wonder if there was any point in reading further. Then someone said it was worth the read and that the ending was utterly fantastic. I carried on reading and finished it last night. Totally dissappointed! I wish I had stopped reading it and picked up another book, anything would have been better. Scary? You must be joking! I felt nothing for the characters either. It was utterly awful!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2010 10:55 PM GMT

The Other Hand
The Other Hand
by Chris Cleave

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly upsetting!, 3 July 2009
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
My husband knew I was feeling down and suggested spending some me time. He told me to get a new book. I bought this book because it stirred my curiosity. Unfortunately it made matters worse. A few years ago I was raped by someone I knew, whose favourite music was U2. When I came across a scene in this book, I was really depressed, it brought back terrible memories. There should be some kind of warning on books as to delicate matters. DVDs have content guides on the back surely it could be done to books too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2009 9:14 AM BST

Veggie Food for Kids
Veggie Food for Kids
by Sara Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 31 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Veggie Food for Kids (Paperback)
This book has fantastic recipes for children. They taste great! The marinated tofu and banana castles are mouthwatering. The only problem I have with the book is that I have four children therefore I find it hard to decipher the recipes at the back of the book.

The Smart Woman's Guide to Staying at Home
The Smart Woman's Guide to Staying at Home
by Melissa Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Really uplifting!, 17 Jan. 2002
I was sceptical at first but it is a really good read. I am married with three children but I have been feeling so inadequate compared to my husband. People always see my husband working hard and assume that I do nothing which makes me really upset. I have now started to relax more, I know what my role is and it is hard. I don't have any family or friends to help. Since reading this book I have been much more positive and made four new friends, one of which has invited my son over for tea. I have become more organised and enjoy time with my children even more. I hope to use my time at home to retrain, I want to be an actress one day. For now though I enjoy being at home for my children. Read it!

The Poet : Every Rhyme Means Death
The Poet : Every Rhyme Means Death
by Michael Connelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good in places, 18 July 2001
I found this book a good read in places, not being able to put it down. Part way through though I lost interest, it when on a bit too long. I read to the end to see how the plot ended. It was unusual because at the start it was like reading two stories, which kept your mind going. I am an ex abuse victim so the only warning I would give is that some people might be hurt by it. Other than that, a good read!