Profile for 5a5a5am > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
A Midsummer's Nightmare
A Midsummer's Nightmare

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 8 Feb 2014
A midsummer nightmare is a brilliant read. It was fun, funny and emotional. I balled my eyes out. Along with Kody Keplingers other books, I would definitely recommend this!

Stormbreaker (Alex Rider Book 1)
Stormbreaker (Alex Rider Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars not recommended, 7 Feb 2014
The main character in Stormbreaker was very wooden and did not read like a 14yo boy but like a 30 something man. I think this book needed at least one other character his age he could interact with and we would've then had a chance to see his youth.

Shut Out
Shut Out

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Shut Out (Kindle Edition)
This was an insightful and fun read into teenage relationships. Well written, I would defo recommend! Fans of this should also try DUFF by kody koplinger

A Dark Kiss of Rapture (Renegade Angels Novel)
A Dark Kiss of Rapture (Renegade Angels Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, 25 May 2013
I enjoyed this novella. I look forward to reading more about Kim and raze in the future. I would definitely recommend.

Night School: Number 1 in series
Night School: Number 1 in series
by C. J. Daugherty

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Fantasy Fiction, 19 Feb 2013
The title, blurb, and cover of this book screamed vampire book at me...so naturally I bought it.

This book is NOT a paranormal book and I LOVED IT.

First of all I'm going to high five the fact its British *High Fives reader of my blog*. I'm so used to reading American YA that its nice reading some Brit Lit.

I loved the fast pacing of this book, on the first page Allie, our lead character, is running from the police. I think Night School maintains the level of action throughout the book. You are constantly hooked and unable to put this book down. I also loved the writing, CJ Daugherty leads us rather than shoves us through the story.

Allie is a troubled girl. Her elder brother has disappeared and she deals with this by getting into trouble. So her parents send her away to a boarding school. She is feisty and headstrong but she does mellow out throughout the book. Her personality reminds me a little of Rose Hathaway from Vampire Academy. Her two love interests are Sylvian, the french charmer that has all the girls drooling, and Carter, a guy with a bad attitude and a bad reputation. From the off I was rooting for Carter. Slyvian comes across as slimey and entitled.

I also really liked the school itself. Its gothic and makes me want to explore every nook and cranny. The only thing I found unbelievable is the fact the school provided all clothes, even a dance dress. Must have really pricey term fees.

I think that this is a brilliant book and I cant wait to read the book 2: Night Legacy, which is out now.

The Vampire Hunter's Daughter Collector's Edition Parts I, II and III
The Vampire Hunter's Daughter Collector's Edition Parts I, II and III

2.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed, 19 Jan 2013
I think I'd enjoy this series more if it was longer, had more detail, less rushed, if the writing flowed better and the reader was showed more than told.

Defiance: Number 1 in series (Courier's Daughter Trilogy)
Defiance: Number 1 in series (Courier's Daughter Trilogy)
by C.J. Redwine

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Fantasy Fiction, 16 Sep 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It is set in a future where, due to horrific attacks by dragon like beasts, the majority of the human populace has been eradicated and the rest are now living in smallish colonies to protect themselves. The story is action packed. Rachel's father (Logan's boss) has disappeared and the two take it upon themselves to save him. They learn that in order to save him they may have to bring down the tyrannical rule of the commander. It is fast paced and keeps you wanting more. Luckily it is the first in a series.

We get the basic of the back story in the beginning of the book which I rather liked (No info dump here!) and the rest of the details are feed to us gradually through out the book. The story is told from the perspective of Rachel and Logan. It wasn't confusing which I liked and also it helped to see the different sides of the story and as they weren't always together, the reader gets to see more angles of the story.

There are twists where you would expect them but they aren't the twists you'd expect. You know in a horror film when you scream at the characters not to do something stupid? Well in this book you get ready to scream but then the characters do what actual human being would do. So instead of screaming at their stupidness you cheer on their cleverness!

At first I thought that I would find Rachel quite annoying. She seemed too impulsive and narrow minded. After a couple of chapters though I understood her more and though she is quite impulsive I saw that she isn't really narrow minded, more that she is determined. In a world where women are meant to be submissive towards men, these are traits that get her in to trouble with the vile commander of their settlement. I like how through out the book Rachel grows but still keeps her fiery nature. Her relationship with Logan is rocky at first but after a while their relationship blossoms (Though not as slow as I would have liked). I would have liked it if they hadn't used the "L"word before they started going out!

Logan is another great character! He is a smart, logical, loyal. He has had a tough life and somehow managed to incur the wrath of the commander, leaving him an outcast for most of his life. I suspect that Logan's mother may have spurned the commander or Logan's Dad may have crossed him some how. Hopefully we will find out in the next book!

Disney Pixie Hollow Games
Disney Pixie Hollow Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 15 Sep 2012
This review is from: Disney Pixie Hollow Games (DVD)
This is a great fun Tinkerbell short film. About 30 minutes long but my 4 year old LOVED it. Tinkerbell isn't the main character (Rosetta and a new character Chloe are), don't be put off though. You will love this as much as your children!

Rapture: Book 4 of the Fallen Series
Rapture: Book 4 of the Fallen Series
by Lauren Kate

1.0 out of 5 stars Grrrrr, 7 Sep 2012
This is the fourth and final book in the Fallen series. It was disappointing. The writing is ok (Some minor editing mishaps) and that is it for the good points.The ending was bad. Throughout this series I have compared it to Twilight...and I am going to do it again. Like in Breaking Dawn, the ending of Rapture was a cop out! Oh and hardly any loose ends were tied up. Shelby and Miles were hardly used, the Angels were all of a sudden very weak (and stupid) and the devil was a jealous twit! Oh but at least we found out about Daniels and Lucinda's first meeting NOT.

I know this is a crap review but I am so disappointed with how this played out I can hardly write coherently. This book is basically a crappier version of The Da Vinchi Code mashed with Breaking Dawn. *Sigh*

Passion: Book 3 of the Fallen Series
Passion: Book 3 of the Fallen Series
by Lauren Kate

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Fantasy Fiction, 1 Sep 2012
Originally posted at [...]

This is the third book in the Fallen series (Review for FALLEN and TORMENT). Like the previous book,Torment, I found Passion a bit hard to get into straight away. After about 50 pages though, I got into the swing of things and could not put it down! I like Lauren Kates style of writing. I only have two gripes with this book, the first gripe is Daniel's violet eyes. I know in the past I've compared areas of this series to Twilight but c'mon - Stephanie Meyer excessively mentioned Edwards Topaz eyes and Lauren Kate has done the same. My second gripe is to come.

I adored the story in this book. Time travelling through Luce and Daniels past meetings was very interesting. We visited some great moments in time with the Luce. My favourite being the Mayan meeting. I do wish that we had seen the moment that Luce and Daniel had first met. I can only assume that we see or find out about that Rapture, The fourth and final book in this series. I loved the history, and the fact that Luce was a lot more pro-active this time around was awesome. No moaning, YAY. She wanted to find out if Daniel really loved her and she did.

Bill. Ah, Bill. This is where my second gripe comes in. He is a gargoyle who Luce lets tag along on the journey even though he grosses her out. She doesn't know this guy from Adam (Which in this book, he could have been Adam!) and yet she lets him tag along? Bad Luce! He guides her through the past lives and apparently has the lungs of an 80year old on 60 a day. He is involved in a twist and as the reader we know there is something off about him but I didn't think he was who he is (I think I just confused myself in that sentence!). It's kind of "BAM" followed by "Wha...?". Which leads to the story line for book 4.

I really did like this book. i am REALLY excited to read Rapture!

Read Fallen and Torment? Then read this!

Page: 1 | 2