Profile for R. Wileman > Reviews

Content by R. Wileman

R. Wileman "rosie" (U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Blood of Tyrants (The Temeraire Series, Book 8)
Blood of Tyrants (The Temeraire Series, Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this one as much as the previous seven books ..., 21 Nov 2014
I had to smile when I read another review, in which the reader felt the memory-loss of the human hero was not convincing. Since I can accept the concept of talking dragons fighting on different sides in the Napoleonic wars, the memory-loss was not a big hurdle for me!
I loved this one as much as the previous seven books (just slightly peeved that i hadn't noticed it was out sooner!). I would suggest anyone coming new to the series should start at the beginning, although I was impressed with the way Naomi Norvik refers to previous events in a subtle way, without pages of boring repetitious information which could spoil the narrative. The story flows along as usual, I couldn't put it down and read long into the night in order to finish it! Then wished I hadn't as there was nothing to look forward to!

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoirs of Lady Trent)
A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoirs of Lady Trent)

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the book, 21 Nov 2014
Different, in that the dragons only figure in the background, not as the heroes. I enjoyed the book, which is set in a fictional country. The author's style is direct, the plot is interesting, the characters well-delineated, especially that of the narrator herself. I found myself looking forward to the next chapter, although I had limited reading time.

Kiwi Wars
Kiwi Wars

3.0 out of 5 stars it wasn't bad, but I have to admit that I have ..., 22 July 2014
This review is from: Kiwi Wars (Kindle Edition)
Well, it wasn't bad, but I have to admit that I have stopped caring about what happens to Jack Crossman. I loved the earlier novels, could hardly put them down, desperate to know what happened next! I was impressed by the quality of the research which showed in the background, without intruding on the plot. "Kiwi Wars" does not seem to have the same passion for truth behind it as those set in the Crimean and i had to push myself to finish the book - not one for re-reading! Quite a disappointment.

Field of Shadows: The English Cricket Tour of Nazi Germany 1937
Field of Shadows: The English Cricket Tour of Nazi Germany 1937

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy Dan Waddell's fiction, 14 July 2014
I enjoy Dan Waddell's fiction, so was tempted by this diligently researched account of a historical event. To be honest, you need to be a cricket fan to enjoy this book; if you are and have an interest in the events leading up to the second world war, there is a lot to appreciate here and I thoroughly recommend it. As an amateur genealogist, I am impressed by the quality of the research. As a reader, I found it hard to put the book down!

Down Easy Metric Edition: A cookbook for those with swallowing difficulties
Down Easy Metric Edition: A cookbook for those with swallowing difficulties
by Judy Best

3.0 out of 5 stars which is why I am glad I bought the book, 6 July 2014
I learned a lot from the book, bought with my elderly mother-in-law in mind, as she had a major stroke which left her with speech and swallowing difficulties. My understanding of her condition and the general rules of cooking to follow have certainly benefited, which is why I am glad I bought the book. But,sadly, I have not cooked any of the recipes specifically, as she is not tempted by any of them. They are far too different from her previous diet.

Rogue Officer
Rogue Officer

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant and interesting read, though not quite as ..., 6 July 2014
This review is from: Rogue Officer (Kindle Edition)
A pleasant and interesting read, though not quite as exciting as the earlier Jack Crossman books set in the Crimea. I had not planned to follow our hero to New Zealand, but I need to know how the story develops, so I will!

Birmingham Pals
Birmingham Pals

5.0 out of 5 stars This is amazing as he always avoided speaking about it, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Kindle Edition)
Having finally brought together all the memorabilia of my father's experiences in WW1 - as a private in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in the Worcestershire Regiment and finally as a pilot of Sopwith planes - I discovered this detailed account of the battalions formed by the thousand of Birmingham men who volunteered to fight in the first few weeks.

It is extremely well researched yet presented in a very readable format. I have it on Kindle, so the photos aren't always clear. I am reading it with my father's telegrams and postcards beside me; it all fits with the general account. I thought I would skip the bits pertaining to the battalions dad wasn't in, but have found that it is so gripping that I have to read every word. I am almost living every day with him. This is amazing as he always avoided speaking about it, except funny bits in training, for example. I am quite amazed that he survived.

If you have a family member of the Birmingham Pals, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I just wish I could find something similar that deals with his later experiences.

New Cute Kids Children Waterproof Apron Cartoon Frog Printed Painting Cooking (Red)
Offered by bfloweryan

3.0 out of 5 stars Pink for a boy?, 10 Jun 2014
I loved the look of this little apron and ordered it for my grandson, who is at the messy-eating-with-gusto stage. When it eventually arrived it was not red, but bright pink. I thought about giving it away, but grandson is not prejudiced and is quite happy to wear it for eating his dinner at my house! That should teach me!

The Devil's Own
The Devil's Own

5.0 out of 5 stars A Novel of the Crimea, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Devil's Own (Kindle Edition)
I originally found this novel, the first in a series based on the life of Jack Crossman, a sergeant in the British Army, when I thought an ancestor had fought in the Crimea; I needed some background knowledge to this field of conflict, of which I was sadly ignorant. I have since discovered that the ancestor fought elsewhere, but I so enjoyed this novel, that I am reading the lot!

The character of Crossman (not his real name) is complex, but interesting and beautifully drawn, quite believable. Through his eyes we get to see not only the appalling conditions that the soldiers in the Crimea had to contend with, but the strange (to an outsider) customs and traditions that affected the relationships between officers and men. The books are meticulously researched, with real people as well as real events figuring strongly in the plots. I found myself checking up on both events and people and was impressed at how much and how accurately G D Kilworth used them in his novels. The author clearly understands the British Army thoroughly and weaves fact and fiction to make a rattling good story.

We are not talking great literature here and I would not rate them quite as highly as the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien, but I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone who enjoys a good adventure story or who wants to know about the Crimean wars, but to get the best out of them start with this first novel. I have discovered that books 5 and 6 have Crossman in India, where my ancestor fought, so I am really looking forward to those!

The Letter of Marque: Aubrey/Maturin series, book 12
The Letter of Marque: Aubrey/Maturin series, book 12

5.0 out of 5 stars another Aubrey/Maturin masterpiece, 10 Jun 2014
This is my third time of reading the Jack Aubrey series by Patrick O'Brian.
Originally, I just wanted some background reading for the Napoleonic period that wasn't soldiers! I borrowed the set from the local libraries, finding myself quite hooked after the first one. I can't pretend to understand all the nautical terms, but they don't detract from the story-line and the characterization, especially of the two main characters, "Lucky Jack" Aubrey, who is working his way up the hierarchy of the British Navy and his friend and ship's surgeon (and sometime spy) Steven Maturin.
The second time round I bought all the books, which I am now passing on as I get them on my Kindle!
Each book stands alone, but I would urge any reader to start with the first to enjoy them fully.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5