Profile for Matthew Vose > Reviews

Content by Matthew Vose

Matthew Vose (London, England)

LEGO Star Wars (PC)
LEGO Star Wars (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly excellent game, 21 Feb 2006
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars (PC) (Video Game)
Lego Star Wars is exactly as it should be. It's a Star Wars game, but themed on Lego. I thought it would be fun and that's it, but for a Star Wars fan it's excellent. The game itself is very easy and can be played through in a short space of time, but there's so much packed into it that it's amazing how intuitive it all is. Swapping characters so you can use Jedi Powers, then a grapple gun or droid function would be a nuisance in other games, and often has been in games like Republic Commando, but here it's easy and means you get a real sense of all the character types.
The levels have a broad range, from simple 3D platformers, to vehicle levels and outright puzzle sections. There's a massive depth added when you replay to try and get a 100% completion. But more than any of this it's the little things that are fun, like having a team of Vader and Anakin playing a level, or playing as Anakin on Mustafar, or just taking a lightsaber to Jar Jar in the menu section!
The box says input is restricted to keyboard and mouse, and it's okay using them, but I've been using an X-box 360 joypad and it's so good with the pad, as there are buttons used for different abilities.
I've had no problems running the game. It installed and played straight off, and I'm running an ATI graphics card, when it's better supported by NVIDIA.
Overall, this is a great game, and currently at a great price. I have friends with children who will love this as it's easy to play, without the need to control cameras etc (very well done automatically, there aren't many times when I've wanted to change it manually) or learn complicated movements, it's simple but engrossing. Plus my friends who enjoy Star Wars will love what has been done with the universe.

30 Years of Rock - The Greatest Hits
30 Years of Rock - The Greatest Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blues rock, 29 Nov 2005
I will admit I bought this because I'd heard Bad to the Bone in Terminator 2, and wanted to know if it was as good as it sounded. I must say I'm really impressed. The tracks are a good variety, with some lives ones thrown in for good measure. Quite a few covers, which isn't a bad thing, as these are obviously tracks they enjoy playing, so sound great.
There's a number of tracks here which will be in my playlist as a permanent feature I think. I've played this album to lots of different people, and everyone enjoys its simple sound and fun style.
Definite 5 stars.

See You On The Other Side [CD + ECD]
See You On The Other Side [CD + ECD]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Korn go Hi-fi, 29 Nov 2005
I've listened to the promo of this album a couple of times already today. My opinion so far is that it's quite average. They have changed the sound so it's got a much better production, which means the sound I've always associated with Korn has been lost. It's very clear, the bass doesn't ring out as it used to until the last 3 songs, and the guitar almost always sound the same.
This is coupled with the various sounds they try and put into each song. In a lot of ways it's reminding me of Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish, with a similar range of songs, some which are obviously filler, some which are singles.
That said, there are good points. The opening couple of songs are excellent, and will be on my playlist for a while to come. The lyrics are clearer than they have ever been, and it seems to have improved their writing with songs making more immediate sense, although I think this may alienate some of their audience who preferred the depth of previous albums, by removing the personal view everyone can take from the songs.
The second CD is a nice bonus, with some good stuff on it. I'm not sure it's worth paying extra for, as it's not adding anything to the album.
Overall, 3 stars, as it's still better than some other recent rock albums, but it's a disappointment for such an established band.

Bionaire BT05RC Tower Fan with remote control
Bionaire BT05RC Tower Fan with remote control

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for everyone, 3 Aug 2004
I received my fan yesterday and am already incredibly impressed. I decided to get a new fan as I had a large pedestal rotary fan, which both woke me up by being loud and was annoying to turn off/slow down as the controls were at the back.
On the first speed it is very quiet (didn't wake me at all), at the highest speed it's incredibly powerful (a friend expressed that tower fans weren't strong), and the oscillation is very good. The Remote makes it completely though, and is easy to use.
I'd recommend this for anyone really, three people I know have alrady ordered them. I use it for cooling generally, but would also be apt (especially with the breeze control) for a conservatory, beauty parlour or similar, as a corner unit.