Profile for Music Lover > Reviews

Music Lover

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen
Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen

1.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable bargain,unbelievable insight,ruined by pressing faults, 31 Oct. 2014
Furtwangler was one of,if not THE greatest conductor of his(or anyone's)day.His two Rings are both different ,both utterly compelling,and both must haves for the committed Ring enthusiast.This would have been a remarkable bargain,for which we should have given thanks to Membran...but all is not as it should be.There are pressing faults on cd's here,resulting in skipping.I note these were also present on the first release(LP sized box)of this(not just me,but others have commented on this),so apparently Membran have not taken heed of returns,and pressed from the same faulty master. I hate to say this,but AVOID this set--Amazon,if you read this,please take heed and either bring the issue up with Membran or stop stocking this item---you'll only be selling this set to be returned,net result disappointment all round.Anyone buying the huge 107 cd Furtwangler box from Membran will experience the same disappointment,unless they've used a completely different set of fault free cd's for that,which I seriously doubt.If they had such a thing,then I would not be writing this.Buyer,beware.Better yet,be wise,and don't waste your time with this.

Rachmaninov: The Complete Works
Rachmaninov: The Complete Works

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must for ALL music lovers of any taste whatsoever., 24 Oct. 2014
Anyone who enjoys music should invest in this set,a wonderful job of compilation from Decca.More great performances than can be mentioned,and at what a price!£1.19 per disc,so to buy just a few of these recordings,many of which are without doubt the best of the best,would cost far more than this collection.There's quite a bit here I've never heard before,like the operas,and the Ampico rolls of the composer himself.All that's missing here are the original Rachmaninov recordings of his own works,but they're obtainable elsewhere,should this prove insufficient for your needs.But really,realistically speaking,this is as good a Rach set as anyone can ask for,not a hastily thrown together grab bag for the non specialist,but something for neophyte and old stager to marvel at.Outstanding bargain,outstanding music.Oh,and of course Ashkenazy at his best in all respects,as both conductor and pianist.Superb.

Karajan Symphony Edition
Karajan Symphony Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Still got it!, 22 Oct. 2014
Great value,worth it for the Bruckner alone,and there is so much more here to boot.Fashionable to knock Karajan these days,but when I was starting to collect classical records he was the man.In many cases he still is,and it would be foolish to dismiss his legacy.So much more than the playboy jet setting conductor he projected to some,he was capable of insight and artistry that made hi the greatest of his day.

Beethoven:Complete String Quartets (8 CD set)
Beethoven:Complete String Quartets (8 CD set)

5.0 out of 5 stars perhaps the greatest interpretations of this timeless music ever recorded, 20 Oct. 2014
A supreme bargain at £15.85,perhaps the greatest interpretations of this timeless music ever recorded.I know there are many others of stature,but this is deservedly hailed as a masterpiece and a masterclass in Beethoven interpretation.The Penguin Guide is something I cannot always agree with,but in this instance,argument would be pointless.Also features in the Gramophone Good CD Guide,and how could it be otherwise?Snap this up now,as there is a history of these recording disappearing from the catalogue at short notice,and for long stretches.
NB. Gramophone Magazine's retailer of choice(readers know to whom I refer) are charging £32.75 for this set,and you'll pay postage on top.Act now,get this from Amazon...or should that be Amazin',at this bargain price?

Live At Leeds (Deluxe Edition)
Live At Leeds (Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawed man,flawless music., 20 Oct. 2014
Look,it's John Martyn,just enjoy it for the music.The chat may be off colour,and Danny Thompson and John had been fighting before the gig,but it all adds to the atmosphere for me.John may not have been an entirely likeable chap,but what an example of all that's great about the state of musical artistry in humanity he is.I have other copies of this,by the way,and am glad of the fuller contents.Cannot get enough of this period John.

Sunday's Child
Sunday's Child

5.0 out of 5 stars After this,a change was a comin'..., 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Sunday's Child (Audio CD)
For me,the last of the great JM records,along with Bless the Weather,Solid Air,and Inside out.After these he developed in other directions,and although I can't say I hated this other material,there was a loss(or lessening) of what had been so beguiling.Becoming a more rock oriented artist may have won him other followers,I don't know,but John Wayne,Big Muff,etc,certainly didn't do as much for me as I'd Rather be the Devil,or May you Never.Listening to One World again, I think the decline started there,and of course Phil Collins and Eric Clapton tried to make him a star,when he really was a niche artist,and had his audience already.So Grace and Danger left me a tad lukewarm,with Phil sticking his oar in,and thereafter,a JM record was a bit of a hit and miss affair,never bad,don't get me wrong,but past the glory days.So buy this,and the other 3 I've mentioned,and I believe you'll have a true best of collection of a wonderful musician,and a complicated man.

Songs From Tsongas - The 35th Anniversary Concert
Songs From Tsongas - The 35th Anniversary Concert

2.0 out of 5 stars Just another roundabout way of squeezing a bit more from the fan., 8 Oct. 2014
Unlike another reviewer,I thought the sound quality less than great:adequate,maybe,but that's as far as I'll go.I have a long history with Yes,being an early convert,but they lost me when they toured Topographic Oceans,without the release of the album preceding the tour,however I still return to them when in nostalgic vein,but view them realistically,rather than through the veil of said nostalgia.Hence this less then glowing review.Not bad,certainly not great(in MY view,it must be stressed),and anyone who is not an absolutely dedicated fan could safely give this one a miss,I would've thought.The Yes roundabout goes on and on,and I don't find this a particularly distinguished set by any means.Still,you pays yer money(and sometimes regret it!).
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2015 3:58 PM GMT

The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter (The Glasgow Trilogy)
The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter (The Glasgow Trilogy)
by Malcolm Mackay

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough,uncompromising:you may safely ignore the reviewers who didn't respond to this., 6 Oct. 2014
Very obviously the luke warm reviewers are not familiar with the style of writing executed by authors like James Ellroy so effectively,which is the use of short,choppy,terse sentences--a brevity that grabs your attention.As a prose style,it works very well for me,and the author reminds me very much of the aforementioned Ellroy,and also Andrew Vachss,a really great writer who I fear is not as well known as he ought to be.I recommend his Burke novels to anyone who likes tough crime.Anyway,if you don't respond to The Glasgow Trilogy,you lack something,I think...best stick to Agatha Christie,dearies...

The Platinum Collection
The Platinum Collection
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all the Gen you need..., 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Platinum Collection (Audio CD)
Looking to recapture my youth,I bought this,as there was no collection of the greatest years,(that is,the complete Genesis with Peter Gabriel available--well,there is a Japanese SHMCD set,too expensive to really warrant consideration).Darned good,too, this is,although oddly back to front in the chronology,but maybe the producers wanted to end with the best,which,of course,they did.This will do just great,until such time as a reasonably priced set of all the albums with Peter Gabriel comes along.

Everybody's Talkin'
Everybody's Talkin'

4.0 out of 5 stars Good,not an absolute favorite., 22 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Everybody's Talkin' (Audio CD)
Very keen on Derek,less so on Susan,who's not bad,you understand,just okayish(for my taste).If I'm honest,I prefer Derek in a setting with another guitarist(Warren Haynes is who I mean)to bounce off,so for me the demise of the Allmans means that Derek steps down a notch in the essential purchases league as far as I'm concerned.Still,very good,but gimme Govt Mule for preference.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18