Profile for Music Lover > Reviews

(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
The Complete Columbia Recordings
The Complete Columbia Recordings

3.0 out of 5 stars Gimme a pig foot,a bottle of beer....and a bit of a hash!, 16 Dec. 2015
I find myself in agreement with others here.The material itself is of course beyond superlatives,but Sony were know in the past for a lack of regard for the purchaser(terrible early versions of Armstrong's Hot Fives and |sevens,for example),giving inferior pressings the CD treatment.So it is here,boxed up,inferior sounding issues.So much could have been done,left undone,presumably in the name of quick profit.So,a lost opportunity by Sony,and as noted by previous reviewers,Frog do a far superior job.They make a fist of it,Sony a hash.

It's Louis Armstrong
It's Louis Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Satch a good bargain!, 16 Dec. 2015
This review is from: It's Louis Armstrong (Audio CD)
A fair sampling of Satch,plenty but not all,of the Hot 5's and 7's,but most of the really vital ones.Of course,you could argue they're ALL vital,but a decent package,nevertheles,and reasonably priced.

The King Of Rock 'N' Roll: The Complete 50'S Masters
The King Of Rock 'N' Roll: The Complete 50'S Masters
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia fooled me., 16 Dec. 2015
I was a fan as a child.My tastes have changed,so hence the mid range rating.Like Thomas Wolfe said,"You can't go home",thus it is with musical taste.Nostalgia has made me foolish before,probably will again,too,but no doubt the dedicated admirer will find much to enjoy,no longer my cup of tea,though.The moving finger writes,and we age.Give me a good symphony,or a piece of jazz anyday,but rock and roll?I've moved on.

Connect IT Convector Heater, 2000 Watt
Connect IT Convector Heater, 2000 Watt
Offered by Oypla

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm words about this heater, 16 Dec. 2015
Very good little heater,I've been running it on low for a couple of weeks at the time of writing,and it's cost effective,providing welcome heat,just enough on the low setting to run a few hours and keep a large room comfortable,but not stuffy.In truth,I may get another,I was so pleased.Then again,it's portable,so maybe not.But it's that good,good enough for buying again.

Mozart: The Symphonies /Pinnock
Mozart: The Symphonies /Pinnock

4.0 out of 5 stars Origins and pinnacles of genius, 14 Dec. 2015
Enjoyable,lively performances from Pinnock and co.4 stars only,due to the good,but never great,earlier works.A genius has to start somewhere,and although I find no complaints with anything here,the inspiration of the younger Mozart,astonishing as it may be,falls short of that of the adult.But for the collector wishing a box set,on period instruments,there is little to cavil about here.Heartily recommended!

Well-Tempered Clavier, The (Richter)
Well-Tempered Clavier, The (Richter)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bach to the future, 14 Dec. 2015
Richter in Bach is,here,beyond superlatives.Some prefer harpsichord to paino,however,I do not.That for me,is a continuo only instrument,but each to his own in that regard.We all know Richter was a superb pianist,and here he gives ample proof of that.To me,the 48 have never sounded better,and I'm not a dyed in the wool Bachian.As much as I admire him,I seldom love him(the solo cello suites being another exception,as are the Goldberg Variations),being an afficianado of classical and romantic era music foremost.But Richter is Richter,and as a collector of him,this was a must have.Oddly,this doesn't appear in his complete Columbia/RCA box,due,I think to these being originally Melodya recordings.But compelling,a set to enrich any lover of Richter,Bach,or great pianism.One for the ages.

Best of Steam Trains [6 DVD Gift Set]
Best of Steam Trains [6 DVD Gift Set]
Offered by The Canny Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Given as a gift,well received....apparently, 14 Dec. 2015
Not my thing.I remember steam trains,but apart from the Railway,Children,Brief Encounter,Murder on the Orient express,Strangers on a Train ,have no very fond memories.In short,no real interest,although the Guy Martin TV programmes captured my interest. in Great British engineering..But I bought this as a gift,and hopefully the recipient is satisfied.Appears to be,anyway,so hence the 4 stars.He is an enthusiast,very much so,so I'll take his opinion over mine in such matters.

Laphroaig Whisky Quarter Cask 70cl
Laphroaig Whisky Quarter Cask 70cl

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good,but overrefined expression of Laphroaig?, 12 Dec. 2015
Honestly,I prefer the stronger(to me) 10yo.This is slightly muted in the flavours that shine through in that,a little smoother,more relaxed.The Cask Strength is also a choice I enjoy from La--froyg(for those who may wonder at the pronunciation!)

Springbank 10 years old 46% 70cl
Springbank 10 years old 46% 70cl
Offered by Roblex Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Campelltown's finest, 12 Dec. 2015
One of the great whiskies,now rare,from Campbelltown.All the peat they can muster for Springbank production makes it one for perhaps not everyone,but for me,an excellent drink.Pricey,most certainly,but not easily come by.Amazon is just one of those places that keeps astonishing me!

Glenfiddich 12 Year Old Whisky 70 cl
Glenfiddich 12 Year Old Whisky 70 cl

2.0 out of 5 stars Mehh!, 12 Dec. 2015
Far from a favourite,a little bland for me.However,a component of Monkey Shoulder,a blend of 3 malts,where it goes,for me at least,better as part of the mix.It's all right,we all have different tastes,just not a malt I seek out.But each to his own preference,and many appear to find this to their taste.I would suggest,though,they explore further.There are many more flavourful whiskies to be had,and anyone who enjoys peatiness,should search out the Islays,Shetland,and always enjoyable Highland Park.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30