Profile for Mia > Reviews

Content by Mia

Mia (Germany)

Studyguide for Solid State Physics: An Introduction by Hofmann, Philip, ISBN 9783527408610 (Cram 101 Textbook Outlines)
by Cram101 Textbook Reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a very helpful guide, 8 April 2014
This so-called study guide is a generic collection of definitions and questions that are loosely related to the topic of solid state physics but it is hard to see why they should be related to this particular textbook (Philip Hofmann, Solid State Physics). I do not think that much can by gained by using this "study guide". The reader would profit a lot more from studying the textbook, or any other textbook on solid state physics, for that matter.

Black Rabbit Summer
Black Rabbit Summer
by Kevin Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 16 May 2009
This review is from: Black Rabbit Summer (Paperback)
I have to confess, that the main reason I bought Black Rabbit Summer was its cover. But once I'd studied the cover and read the text on the back of the book I bought it.
A few weeks after as I was looking around in my book shelf, I found Black Rabbit Summer and started reading it.
Already after three or four pages I found myself totally engrossed in the story, which had not unfolded at all yet, but which was the start of a story that would be absorbed in for next while.

The book tells the story of Pete Boland and his friend Raymond. One summer night the two of them join an old group of friends to the fair ground.
Affected by drugs, alcohol and memories Pete ends up walking away from the fair ground alone. Without Raymond.
The night has been a horrible experience for Pete, who has been running around all night, searching for his friend. But Pete hasn't had the worst experience by far that night, as the famous girl Stella Ross has disappeared too.
However the police have an idea to where she is in contrast to Raymond as they have found Stella's cloths down by the river. Stella's blood strained clothes.
Now Raymond is the prime suspects, but Pete is sure that he could never have done anything to Stella or anyone else and is determined to find Raymond and Stella and find out the truth.

I thought this book was totally unputdownable. While I read it I was always either reading or when that wasn't possible, thinking about it. Even when I finished it the story still went round and round in my head for quiet some time.