Profile for Nicola Golding > Reviews

The Secret of Lost Things
The Secret of Lost Things
by Sheridan Hay

1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea, rubbish execution., 18 Jun 2011
I wanted to love this book, I really did. The problem was that there was no story. It started really well, Rosemary sounded like she was going to be interesting and quirky and have characteristics that I could relate to, then it's like she stagnated. Her personality stopped at being a young orphan living in New York, yes she missed her mum but that was it. I just couldn't get a proper grip on her and the introduction of the booksellers was laughable. If you took away their very odd physical traits (albino, grossly fat, transexual) you were left with very shallow, 2d people, very very dull.

The actual storyline felt like a pointless distraction away from the 'quirky' characters, the whole debacle with the lost manuscript was, frankly, ridiculous. Who cared!

In short, I hated this book. If I wasn't reading this book for my bookclub, I would have binned it sooner than I did. The idea was brilliant, there were some lovely scenes written in here, so the author can clearly write, however, she has problems stringing a story together.

The Year of Disappearances
The Year of Disappearances
by Susan Hubbard

5.0 out of 5 stars H'Mazing!!, 6 Aug 2010
Amazing sequel, and hopefully there's more to come. Love the syrupy language, it's almost dream-like.

Hate List
Hate List
by Jennifer Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a read!!, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: Hate List (Hardcover)
I love the idea of this book. It takes an emotive subject and flips it on it's head. What would you do if the person you loved most in the world, your best friend and your confidante, took your bitch list and used it as an assasination guide?

The subject is handled really well and you really feel for Valerie, it would be really hard to try and reconcile your emotions if faced with this predicament. Also is she to blame? Did she realise that this was going to happen? Should she start liking the popular kids, especially the girlt that she saved?

Awesome, tough and extremely clever, one for everyone to read, especially if they want something that makes them think.

Reservoir
Reservoir

5.0 out of 5 stars A fluke find, amazing music!!, 3 July 2010
This review is from: Reservoir (Audio CD)
It was a complete fluke that I stumbled across this album but one that I feel was destined for me. I used to work with one of the guys that is in the band, I saw them support Snow Patrol but didn't really pay attention to them and heard them playing in Denny's Diner whilst on holiday in Florida. Then I knew that I had to have this album.

I want to say it's a grower but that's not the truth. When you first hear the album you'll think it sounds quite samey and maybe only remember one or two of the songs. For me it was Pilot which, after first hearing I just wanted to play again and again. After playing the album several times you realise that you know and love every song, the beautiful melodies sticking deep into your soul.

I already have this album, I bought it as a download on Itunes a while ago but now seeing it as a proper album I'm gonna buy it again, and not just for me.

Skechers Women's Tone Ups PSST Sandal Gaucho 37559 GCH 7 UK
Skechers Women's Tone Ups PSST Sandal Gaucho 37559 GCH 7 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Really brill and comfy, 7 Jun 2010
I bought a pair whilst on holiday about a month ago, and bar the weather I've worn them every day. I did find that I had to buy a size below my normal size as they come out quite big, but who doesn't want smaller feet!! (and I'm normally a size 3, so now I feel that I have the smallest feet in the world, yay!)
I can't say that I feel any more toned but I can feel them working on my outer thighs when walking, and they do make me feel like I'm working more than just mere walking.
Note. I did have to buy plasters when I first got them as they rubbed both my feet really badly. However, it seems to be better now. Other than that, they are just soo comfy. Yay!

Lost and Found Gift Set
Lost and Found Gift Set
by Oliver Jeffers

5.0 out of 5 stars Fat Penguin lovin', 19 Jan 2010
I bought this for my 2 year old nephew for Christmas. Now, the real reason I bought it is because I LOVE Oliver Jeffers, I joke that if I ever met him I would kidnap him and put him in my cellar. (Don't worry, I don't have a cellar so he's safe from me!)The story is cute,funny gorgeousness and with the added extra of a stuffed penguin who could resist?

Needless to say, my nephew loved the toy and my sister loves the story. Quids in both ways!! Result!