Profile for Ms S M Fennelly > Reviews

Beowulf: A New Translation
by Seamus Heaney
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Homage to Heaney, 11 Jan 2014
It was my turn to choose a book for the book group. We tend to stick to prose narrative with the occasional foray into non-fiction and once, a selection of poems (mine!), that I didn't feel worked. So I wanted a narrative, something short and a tribute to Heaney, whose poetry I'd enjoyed over many years. I'd read Beowulf in other translations and felt this compared well. Descriptions of the sea were powerful: "sand churned in surf", "winter went wild in the waves", there was a strong rhythm that appealed to the group and there were a number of phrases that brought the poem to life for me in new ways. I loved the pitch of the opening "So" which felt timeless compared to other more didactic calls to listen up and I also liked the depiction of Grendel (even the words of the introduction-"a dog-breath in the dark"!). The kennings weren't so effective - not innovative and occasionally naff ("gannet-bath"? I've seen gannets diving to spear fish close up and it's not a leisurely splash-around!). However, a good translation which provoked lively discussion.

Christmas Music from Medieval and Renaissance Europe
Christmas Music from Medieval and Renaissance Europe
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas extra, 11 Jan 2014
Having listened to and enjoyed other medieval carols (from Anonymous 4 & others) I thought I'd try this CD. I try to learn a new carol every year and hoped I'd find one here. Really enjoyed the range of music and The Boar's Head Carol - a rumbustious offering - was my 2013 choice. Interesting to hear carols from Europe too as well as some old favourites (Lullay thou little tiny child). The CD has inspired me to listen to more Renaissance music - I did used to sing the odd madrigal or two!