Profile for raspberry pip > Reviews

raspberry pip

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 3 Aug 2014
This is a wonderful sewing machine for a beginner, anyone returning to sewing after many years (like me), and even experienced sewists who do not need a wide range of stitches. I had my heart set on a Janome mechanical machine, but went for advice to two local sewing machine shops in Devon, both of which separately recommended this Brother Inov-is 10A. I was told that this computerised machine is much stronger than a mechanical machine and better value than the Janome. One advantage of this is that there is a slider on the machine which enables very fine control of sewing speeds: the foot pedal remains the primary control but in addition the slider setting ensures that it is possible to limit the speed easily. This is useful when sewing something tricky, as well as for beginners or children.
Buying from a local dealer included a day class 'get to know your sewing machine' -highly recommended and very informative. We learned the basic functions of the machine and how to use the various attachments it comes with. These attachments include around five presser feet necessary for the sixteen stitches the machine can sew. Three of these stitches are different styles of automatic buttonholes - amazingly neat buttonholes which are so easy compared to the long process I learned at school! The machine can even sew buttons on!
In short, I love my new sewing machine. It is sturdy, strong, easy to use, and has so far coped with a range of fabric weights from lightweight to moderately thick seams.
If you do buy this I hope you love it as much as I do!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2014 10:34 PM BST

How To Be a Woman
How To Be a Woman
by Caitlin Moran

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money., 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
I bought this as we chose it for our Book Club this time, and many of us were keen to have something 'funny' and not too heavy. I did not find it funny, but distasteful, crude and coarse. I do not even want to hand it on to a charity shop it was such unpleasant reading. If you are looking for feminism, Germaine Greer's 'The Whole Woman' is intelligent and thought-provoking, as well as witty. If you want something reasonably light and humorous then 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen' was one that most of our Book Club enjoyed. Avoid 'How to be a Woman' if at all possible.

Enchanted Meditations for Kids
Enchanted Meditations for Kids
by Christiane Kerr
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, 27 Dec 2013
I bought this for my wakeful five year old daughter. The first time I listened to it with her I fell asleep before the end of the first meditation! I find the voice relaxing and calming, and so did my daughter. She enjoyed the story-like nature of the meditations which draws the listener into events such as swimming with mermaids, and in the process letting go of any worries, and relaxing enough to go to sleep. Recommended.

Sass & Belle Cup Cake Cushion Cover / Light Pink - 40X40Cm
Sass & Belle Cup Cake Cushion Cover / Light Pink - 40X40Cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks fantastic, 27 Dec 2013
Bought for a little girl's bedroom, and as well as looking fabulous it is also lasting well. The fabric looks quite delicately pretty, but is actually fairly durable. Would buy again.

- 5 to 6 years/ Small
- 5 to 6 years/ Small
Offered by Accessory-Shop

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, won't last, 27 Dec 2013
This arrived in time for Christmas, but sadly, one sleeve had ripped within an hour of being worn. The gold fabric will be difficult to sew as it is fraying badly. The sizing is also a little out as I bought this for my tallish slimmish four year old, but it is long for her, and quite snug in the body. It looks great in the packet, but will fall apart after a few wears.

Large Musical Bagpuss
Large Musical Bagpuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and price, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Large Musical Bagpuss (Toy)
I was attracted by nostalgic memories of Bagpuss from my own childhood, and my four year old daughter seems to like it too. It is lovely and cuddly, despite having the speaker in the head. Seems good quality.

25cm Jessie Border Collie Soft Toy Dog with Name Tag
25cm Jessie Border Collie Soft Toy Dog with Name Tag
Offered by PDK Toys, Games & Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Much adored Christmas gift, 27 Dec 2013
This seems good quality and has a lovely expression. The name tag 'Jessie' is on a little collar. My daughter has already played lots of imagination games with her new 'dog'!

Topsy and Tim Go Swimming (Topsy & Tim picture Puffins)
Topsy and Tim Go Swimming (Topsy & Tim picture Puffins)
by Jean Adamson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to encourage swimming lessons, 16 Aug 2011
My daughter's swimming teacher recommended we get this when my three year old was anxious in the swimming pool. She and her little sister continue to enjoy it, and it did help to lead into chats and other made up stories about learning to swim! For a while it was their most requested bedtime book.

Doudou et Compagnie 10 cm Natural Bear and Towelling Doudou with Gift Box
Doudou et Compagnie 10 cm Natural Bear and Towelling Doudou with Gift Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely, 16 Aug 2011
I was given one of these when my daughter was born, and like it so much that I have bought two as gifts for new babies since, and one of the similar rabbit ones. It is small, soft, well presented in its gift box, and as my daughter became a toddler she enjoyed wrapping the blanket round the teddy and putting him down to sleep. Highly recommended.

See Inside Your Body (Usborne Flap Books) (Usborne See Inside)
See Inside Your Body (Usborne Flap Books) (Usborne See Inside)
by Katie Daynes
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 9 Aug 2011
I bought this for my three and a half year old, and she and her little sister (age 2) love it. The little one likes opening the flaps, while the older one, now just over four, continues to be very interested in reading it and understanding how the body works. It is well set out, with a double page spread for different aspects of the body - muscles, blood and circulation, digestion, senses, etc. It inspires lots of questions, and generally provides enough information for a clear explanation to be given. The book enables the children to learn in a fun way. I was so impressed I got the book as a gift for a friend's children and they love it too. A great buy, and recommended.

Page: 1 | 2