Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "voracious reader" (East Sussex, UK)

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 23 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I was hesitant to read this, as I didn't think it would live up to the hype. I was wrong; it kept me hooked and left me thinking about the plot and characters long after reading.

If you like writing that deals with the fact that people are flawed and complex and does not portray any character as one-dimensionally good/bad or right/wrong (for example, I love Lionel Shriver for this very reason) then I strongly recommend you read 'Gone Girl'.

The Little Stranger
The Little Stranger
by Sarah Waters

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and intriguing, 29 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Little Stranger (Hardcover)
This is an absolute gem of a novel. You will be fascinated and horrified in equal measure: not just by the supernatural elements but by what is implied about human nature, with all its avarice and frailty.

The best thing, as some other reviewers have mentioned, is that it kept going around in my mind after I finished reading. I actually wanted to re-read the whole novel immediately in light of what is revealed in about the last quarter, which I find to be a very rare reaction.

I simply cannot recommend it highly enough; the occasional find like this is what we are constantly searching for as readers. Fabulous!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Look good and go with anything, 24 April 2009
I have the chocolate and bronze colour option of these and I love them. They are a great failsafe to go with jeans - the brown makes them low key but the pattern and bronze sections are just that bit more eyecatching. Several people have commented on how nice they are, which I think is pretty unusual for a pair of trainers!

I don't think the picture here does them justice and I'll be buying a new pair when mine finally wear out!

Never Say Die: Story of Gladys Aylward (Faith & fame)
Never Say Die: Story of Gladys Aylward (Faith & fame)
by Cyril J. Davey

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 7 Mar. 2007
This is an inspiring tale of the power of faith, courage and perseverance in trying circumstances. I did not read this from the same viewpoint as many others may have done, as I don't share the same religious faith as Gladys Aylward, but this does not detract from the lessons that can be learned from her story. An interesting, thought-provoking read.

The Constant Princess: 4 (Tudor series)
The Constant Princess: 4 (Tudor series)
by Philippa Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating portrayal of an often-overlooked woman, 7 Mar. 2007
When I received this book (as a present) I had doubts about how much I would enjoy it. I have never had more than the most fleeting interest in history, and imagined reading this might remind me too much of dry lessons on 'kings and queens' at school. How wrong I was! If, either out of intellectual snobbery or similar prejudices about 'boring history books', you haven't tried Gregory's historical fiction, I would urge you to try this book. It's truly fascinating (at least for a beginner in this subject like me) to read about the background and, later, the unswerving loyalty of the woman who many of us would usually dismiss as just the 'first one' in the list of Henry VIII's wives.

I would agree with other reviewers that some of Gregory's other novels are faster paced and make for a more consistently entertaining read, which is the only reason I haven't awarded 5 stars. I'm very impressed, though, and I think it's a testament to this book that I have now devoured her other novels on this period in history, and even bought some non-fiction books on the Tudors and Stuarts to indulge my unexpected new interest!

Stone Cold (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
Stone Cold (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
by Robert Swindells
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Too 'try-hard', 13 Feb. 2007
This novel just seems to be trying too hard to tick boxes. Aimed at teenagers, with 'typical' teen problems (check!); addresses a serious social issue at the same time (check!); something grisly to interest the boys if used in English lessons - as it is, endlessly, by the way - (check!) Perhaps my cynicism is due to the fact that I am an English teacher myself and have just seen this novel taught too often. However, I truly think some books can stand that kind of test... and this is not one of them. There just isn't enough to it and the dual narrative gets very tedious after the first few chapters. In fact, I found the characters surprisingly difficult to care about, considering the potentially moving subject matter.

The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You
The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You
by Elaine N. Aron

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not alone!, 17 Jan. 2007
This book explains why some people become 'overwhelmed' or 'frazzled' by, for example, loud sounds around them or a great deal of social contact in one day. It's been very helpful to me, mainly because I was accused of all the things Aron lists, such as being a 'crybaby' or 'too shy' and had grown up thinking that my sensitivity was a kind of handicap or something to be ashamed of. 'The Highly Sensitive Person' successfully reassures the reader that there are advantages and disadvantages to having this kind of disposition and gives some good tips for dealing with those 'frazzled' times. It also makes the interesting point that highly sensitive people are not more unfriendly or unsociable than others; they just have a different tolerance level for certain stimuli. I am certainly glad to know that I'm not alone, and wish I'd read this book when I was younger!

Perfect Match
Perfect Match
by Jodi Picoult

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and emotional, 16 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Perfect Match (Paperback)
I found this a beautiful, if somewhat heartbreaking, read. I notice other reviewers have questioned the 'believability' of aspects of the plot - but for me, in the context of the novel, it all makes sense, even if it seems unlikely to happen in real life. Personally, I find that Picoult's writing engages me enough to really draw me in, so the world she has created is credible and moving. I actually missed the characters when I reached the end of this novel! If you like Jodi Picoult already, you will love this. If you are new to her novels, this is a great place to start. One warning, though: it may sound obvious, but make sure you can deal with the subject matter, as the issue of child abuse is dealt with in some detail. It's not gratuitous, but it is sobering.