Profile for Mr. S. Adams > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Adams

Mr. S. Adams (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
kenable VGA/SVGA HD15 TV Video Cable with built in 3.5mm Jack Audio Lead 3m
kenable VGA/SVGA HD15 TV Video Cable with built in 3.5mm Jack Audio Lead 3m
Offered by kenable_ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 9 Jun. 2015
I use this cable to connect my laptop to my bedroom TV to watch films, play games etc. on a bigger screen. The LCD TV doesn't have a USB input (for watching films from a memory stick) & the laptop doesn't have a HDMI output so the only way I can connect them together is through the PC ports, the TV having the required audio input located beside the PC port. Simply plug both connectors (the audio is carried on the headphone type jack which is on the end of a 60cm(!) length of wire from the main connector) into the TV & the other end into the correct ports on the laptop/computer (the audio connector plugs into the headphone output) & you can see & hear your computer on the big screen! There are no drivers to install, no settings (that I can recall) to adjust... very simple.

SilverStone SST-FF143B Ultra Fine 140 mm Fan Filter
SilverStone SST-FF143B Ultra Fine 140 mm Fan Filter
Offered by Rapid Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars A Handy Filter, 9 Jun. 2015
Perfect for covering the 120x120mm unfiltered side panel holes on my PC tower case without having to drill screw holes for fixing. I have to clean (vacuum) the filter every month so it must be doing something. The fine nylon mesh certainly helps to keep the dust at bay as now there is a noticeable reduction in terms of dust in the PC case.
Seems a little expensive for what is essentially a flexible plastic, magnetic square with some nylon mesh in the middle but it does it's job & will never have to be replaced.

BESTOPE® Set of 7 Nylon Kitchen Utensil Set Cutlery Tool Set Spoon Ladle Masher Slotted Spoon Slotted Turner Kitchen Tools (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected..., 9 Jun. 2015
Quite surprised at the quality of these... better than expected!
Of course they're flexible, like all nylon utensils, but they seem more substantial & rigid than the usual 'cheap' stuff sold at supermarkets. The handles (from the chrome looking ring upwards) are rubber, with a stiff core, so offer excellent grip.
Overall length of the utensil(s) is about 33cm except for the masher which is 24cm.
Seven utensils for less than £15 is good value at any time but these ones are better quality than the usual fare.

StoreONE 4 Pack Foam Earpad Sponge Pad Cushion Covers for Sennheiser PX100, PX200 & Other Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Sennheiser PX100 originals, 9 Jun. 2015
Just received my second set of these for my PX100's. The first set lasted for over 2yrs of daily use, much longer than the original Sennheiser ear pads & for less than half the price! No noticeable loss of sound quality either.
You can't go wrong...

Prestige A La Carte Griddle - 28cm
Prestige A La Carte Griddle - 28cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat Yourself, 5 Mar. 2015
Bought this as a present for my better half as she enjoys a well cooked steak, rare of course.
She loves it! Easy to use, easy to clean & seems to maintain an even temperature across the cooking surface. The handles don't get hot even after prolonged use.
Only slight issue is the length of lead, it's a bit short, but when cooking on the worktop there's always a plug socket nearby.
Great product that gets used regularly & is showing no signs of wear after 15mths use.

USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Cable Adapter
USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Cable Adapter
Offered by Well-Goal

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Wanted..., 5 Mar. 2015
I use this to connect my Canon EOS 550D camera to my Moto G (2nd Gen) mobile. It allows me to control the camera from the mobile using the 'DSLR Controller' app (other apps are available :-)) & works a treat. Just plug this lead's Micro USB end into the phone & plug the camera's USB lead into the other end & you're away!

Turtle Beach Ear Force Recon 320 with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound PC and Mobile Gaming Headset
Offered by Box Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but I couldn't recommend, 5 Mar. 2015
My wife uses the Turtle Beach X11 gaming headset which is excellent so I was really looking forward to getting these as a Christmas present from my son. Other than being a tight fit (I do have a large head though) my initial thoughts were that they were pretty good; comfy(ish), good sound (when using the standard 3.5mm lead, aimed at mobile phone use) & a good mic boom (the same as the X11).

My problems began after installing the Turtle Beach drivers, which provide the DD7.1 sound effect when connected through the USB cable. I downloaded the latest version from their website, always a good thing. Although the drivers installed with seemingly no problem the headset sounded awful! I can only describe the sound has having 8bit distortion & echo. After a few hours of searching the internet for any known problems & not being able to find anything I decided to try the headset with my wife's laptop... exactly the same problem!? They work perfectly if you only use the 3.5mm jack lead but then they become just another stereo gaming headset. I would hazard a guess that there is a problem with the in-line mini amp on the USB cable. My son was kind enough to get a replacement set from Amazon but these had the same problem so I contacted Turtle Beach. I wondered if I was doing something wrong at the installation stage so was looking for some advice as their website has conflicting information about installation. Their response, after a few emails to discount anything obvious, was an RMA label. I didn't want to go through the rigmarole so didn't return them, hoping that a new driver version might sort the problem. I finally got them to work consistently as a normal stereo headset (through the USB) by removing the Turtle Beach drivers & simple using the Windows 7 drivers.

Other than the major problem above there are some other niggles that I have with this headset:
1) The initial tight fit wasn't a problem at first but after 4-5 weeks of regular use (2-3 hours of gaming most days) they started to cause me great pain in the jaw/ear area. So much so that I have now stopped using them, resorting back to my Sennheiser PX100 headphones.
2) Fellow gamers in TeamSpeak commented that the mic sounded muffled compared to my previous Sony tie clip type mic.
3) When I'm holding them I can feel a slight sticking point with the left side pivot. When I wear the headset it gets stuck at this point. I can feel the extra pressure in my jaw so I have to move it beyond this sticking point to free it up. I guess my large head is just forcing extra pressure on the joint but it concerns me for a future failure point.
4) The sound, after extended gaming, becomes quite tiring. Although really detailed & clear, for me there's too much mid-range & this tended to make my ears weary after a while... if that makes sense? I could solve this with some onboard equalisation but I feel I shouldn't have to.
5) The padding around the cans is very firm. Although not unbearable if the padding had been a bit softer they would have at least been comfortable.
6) The headband size adjustment sliders are pants! Despite my giant head I didn't need to extend them to their full reach but they don't click in place positively so need readjustment every time you remove them & put them back on.
7) Compared to the X11 headset the plastic used on these seems cheap & well... plasticky?! The smooth, shiny sort of plastic that's in vogue so although I don't like it you can't blame Turtle Beach for using it.

On the positive side... well, I can't think of much but...
1) The bass response is really impressive. Listened to loud, a bass heavy music track seems to make your eyeballs vibrate! :-)
2) Clear & detailed sound.
3) The fact that they only need a USB connection for PC use i.e. not a separate headphone + mic jack.
4) The size of the ear cups will fit over all but the largest of ears.

I really wanted to like these but they now reside unused on the shelf until Turtle Beach release a new driver & I can bring myself to wear them again.

Canon CanoScan LiDE 120 Compact Scanner
Canon CanoScan LiDE 120 Compact Scanner
Offered by Digi Flash

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a trouble-free job, 12 Nov. 2014
Bought as an upgrade from an old Medion scanner which had served well but with no 'Windows 7' drivers had become redundant.
The drivers & 'IJ Scan Utility' (I rarely bother installing the free supplied software although there is some on the CD) installed with no problems but I got the latest versions from the Canon website & not from the supplied CD... always a good idea ;-) The 'IJ Scan Utility' is straight forward to use & works well, scanning to an editable PDF file or using OCR to scan to a 'MS Word' document are just a couple of the handy features.
The scanner works fine & scan quality is what I'd expect across all types of documents. The 'Z' lid enables scanning of thicker documents like books & is a nice touch. The only drawback is that when you're scanning a document (books in particular) it must be totally flat on the glass bed to be scanned properly, my old scanner was a bit more forgiving in this respect. This isn't a fault but a drawback of utilising a newer & "better" CIS scanning element. Speed of scanning & transfer seems fast, certainly better than my old Medion.
The only real criticism I can level at the Canon is that it's much noisier than the old Medion. It's quite a metallic grating noise as well so gets a bit annoying after several scanned pages but nothing I can't live with.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2015 1:02 AM GMT

Lavolta Portable Folding Laptop Table Desk Tray Stand with Cooling Pad - Red
Lavolta Portable Folding Laptop Table Desk Tray Stand with Cooling Pad - Red
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Cool Item, 12 Nov. 2014
Very lightweight & surprisingly sturdy table. My wife uses it daily with her laptop (15.5" ASUS X5DIJ) which just about fits on the table top, just a small overhang all around but sits safe & well. The minimum distance between the legs (when used in the 'C' shaped configuration) is approximately 42cm (16.5"). The onboard fans are ok, neither super quiet or annoyingly noisy but even during gaming sessions aren't really needed.
After several months use a little play has developed in the table/leg connecting joints but nothing that worries me & certainly doesn't affect its use.
A good buy, I was surprisingly pleased.

2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 Memory Module
2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 Memory Module

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with ASUS X5DIJ, 12 Nov. 2014
Bought this for my wife's ASUS X5DIJ (SX257V) laptop as it was struggling to keep up when using Internet Explorer with a few windows open & some onboard programs at the same time. Very easy to install & worked with the existing 2GB RAM no problem. Has sped up the laptop with no more freezing or locking up... very pleased :-)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3