Profile for Selsey Bill > Reviews

Selsey Bill (England)

A History of Ancient Britain
A History of Ancient Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable., 16 Feb 2014
Neil Oliver is a natural storyteller and this book will satisfy both the specialist and the general reader looking for a window on British prehistory. Highly recommended.

The People's Songs: The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records
The People's Songs: The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 17 Dec 2013
The People's Songs is typically Maconie; warm,funny,moving,insightful No-one writes so well about this quirky country of ours and the music we love and which touches all our lives in some way, even though we don't always know it at the time.

Thick as Thieves: Personal Situations with The Jam
Thick as Thieves: Personal Situations with The Jam
by Stuart Deabill

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all Jam fans, 29 Sep 2012
As a teenager in the late 70s/early 80s I was an obsessive Jam fan and even now, as a middle aged man, its never really left me.The parka is gathering dust in the cupboard under the stairs and the Fred Perry shirts seem to be a bit tighter these days but some things never change; the Fab Three will always have a special place in my heart.I quite liked the Style Council and the solo Weller has had his moments but first and foremost its The Jam. Just as The Beatles and Paul McCartney are not the same thing, so it is for me with The Jam and Weller. I'd say this book is absolutely indispensible for anyone with anything more than a casual interest in The Jam. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the band but in fact I learned a lot more from Thick as Thieves. I'm also pleased that Rick and Bruce feature prominently in it; too often The Jam is presented as Paul Weller and two other blokes; in reality all true fans know that the band would just not have been the same without Rick and Bruce and I always like to see them being given the credit they deserve for being the rhythm section powering the most important British band since the Beatles.

Setting Sons
Setting Sons

5.0 out of 5 stars Jam today, 13 Mar 2010
This review is from: Setting Sons (Audio CD)
The Fab 3 at their best. I first heard Setting Sons as a 15 year old Mod in 1979. 30 years later it still makes the hair on my neck stand on end; even if, these days, I have more hair on my neck than on my head...
For David Cameron to try and lay claim to the Eton Rifles is just disgusting.
Buy it and love it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2012 6:00 PM BST

The Modfather: My Life with Paul Weller
The Modfather: My Life with Paul Weller
by David Lines

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the faith, 24 Feb 2008
This book is about me. I wondered where the hell I could get hold of a Heinz Tomato soup apron. I got the school library to order George Orwell books which I took out and never read but took care to leave them lying on my desk so everyone would think I had.I got a kicking from greasers after the 1981 school Christmas disco (I was devastated when my mum washed the blood out of my parka) Paul (and Bruce and Rick and Jimmy out of Quadrophenia) were gods to me and this book gets as close as I reckon you can get to what it was like to be a teenage Jam fan in the early 80s. And don't take it too seriously...eh?