Profile for N. Gardner > Reviews

Content by N. Gardner

N. Gardner "Zing" (London & Leeds, UK)

I Dared to Call Him Father
I Dared to Call Him Father
by Bilquis Sheikh

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ, 15 Jun 2006
This book is easy to read and captivating in the truths it reveals. This book is receommended to Muslims, Christians and those interested in either religion. Given it is a true story, the facts are laid bare and plain, at times even difficult to digest. How can a human being endure such experiences?

You will not be disappointed.

Franklin SCD-1870 Collegiate Speaking  Dictionary & Thesaurus
Franklin SCD-1870 Collegiate Speaking Dictionary & Thesaurus

4.0 out of 5 stars Dictionary & Thesaurus, but not much else..., 15 Dec 2003
I have had the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Speaking Dictionary and Thesaurus for just over a month and on the whole, I am satisfied with my purchase. I have intentionally put my new purchase to the test looking up all manners complex and cryptic terms, from crossword columns to University text books, and I am yet to be let down. The dictionary definitions are clear and understandable and the thesaurus is extremely useful. All in all, it does exactly what it says on the packet.
From the point of view of value for money, I do have some concerns. For a whooping 79.99, and being amongst the top of the range of products in its market, I did expect much more. It comes with very little memory storage so this almost invalidates it capacity to double up as a pda: thus rendering the name and address book function redundant.
I doubt that this is a costly feature, but it has certainly let me down when I've needed to use this product in the dark. There is no back-light feature, so if you wish to look up a word in poor light, or while outside at night-time, you can forget it since there is no way of illuminating the screen. I can only imagine that the designers of this dictionary decided this feature will make too much of a demand on the 2x AA batteries. I also question why they do not provide the AC connection as standard? For the price, you would expect that this would be included in the standard package.
My final concern is I wish a little more thought would have been put into the casing of this product. The plastic flap is very fragile and often pops off leaving the product exposed and prone to scratching. Perhaps a full sleeve or clip-down case similar to other pdas would have complimented the sophisticated design of the product.
It does, however score highly for verstility seeing as it is possible to 'upgrade' this product to use any of the many bookman cards which Franklin offers.
The games and learning features mean this product is fun and interesting to use. Franklin Collegiate Speaking Dictionary and Thesaurus is an excellent learning tool which I enjoy using to fill in moments of boredom mastering the many games it has to offer. I look forward to making further purchases from Franklin to add to my fancy gadget.