Profile for Johan Siebke > Reviews

Content by Johan Siebke

Johan Siebke (Sussex, England)

Large Hot Water Bottle In Luxury Printed Fleece Cover - 8 Designs
Large Hot Water Bottle In Luxury Printed Fleece Cover - 8 Designs
Offered by Finest Choice Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars No choice and poor print, 27 Dec. 2015
I was a little apprehensive to make this order as I couldn't pre-select the design. In the Q&A section there is one question about picking design where the answer is to send an email with chosen design and another answer saying you cannot choose as the selection is random. I did order and then emailed my chosen design. Reply was, maybe as expected, I could not choose. So, failed at the first hurdle, but I hoped for the best. The bottle arrived and it was, of course, the last design I wanted. Not only that but the print quality is incredibly poor. I thought the picture on Amazon was pretty fuzzy but it turned out to be pin sharp compared to the actual product. It was meant as a gift but there was no way I could give it away - too embarrassing. I give it two stars as I reckon the bottle itself is probably ok. Haven't tested it as I don't need one myself.

Samsung M3 Slimline 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 Slimline 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black
Offered by Timepiece Fashion Inc

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty drive, 1 May 2013
Bought this drive October 12 based on seemingly good value and reviews and that it is Samsung with Seagate drive, both reputable companies. From early on the drive would just disconnect from a MacBook Pro retina in the middle of file transfers or watching a movie from the drive. We were not sure if this was the mac or the drive as we couldn't replicate the problem on another mac. However, the drive has now packed up completely, giving a faint beeping sound for a few seconds when trying to connect, then nothing. Volume is not booting, so the data cannot be accessed. Disk Utility will not find the drive. The same result on three different macs.

Based on the number of similar complaints people must be warned that there is a considerable risk of losing your data. Which is the opposite of what you buy a drive for! There may be ways to retrieve the data, most likely at a cost! Fortunately, our data is still on the mac, so we cannot be bothered.

The positive thing is that Amazon is very good in these cases and will take a return and refund the cost, no quibbles.

Conclusion: Don't buy this drive! You back up files for reasons of security and this drive defeats that object.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2013 4:33 PM BST

Rise Up!
Rise Up!
Offered by groove_temple

4.0 out of 5 stars When punk and grunge got the blues, 29 July 2005
This review is from: Rise Up! (Audio CD)
This is without doubt the rawest blues album I have ever heard. The guitars are strung with barbed wire, and the vocals of "chicken-bone" George sounds as if he's got the bone stuck in his throat whilst being dragged behind a pick-up truck at high speed across a very uneven surface. But the songs are melodic with simple and catchy guitar riffs. However, 'distortion' suddenly becomes a somewhat weak noun. It starts with hysterical guitars in the relatively speedy 'Rise Up!' while after the much slower 'Good Woman Blues" and the groovy, swamp-like 'Cornbread' the guitar gets a cleaning in 'No Good Daddy' - at least for a while until even that one turns into an asylum burning down. 'Hillside Stomp' must have one of the simplest blues riffs, picking up the scale, but the rhythm of the various percussions and the gravelly energy gets the foot moving. If you're a troubled soul in search of release, you may find therapy in this album. If you're not, you may need it. The single sentence on the inside back cover may explain it all: "I set fires but I don't know why". Rise Up! is highly enjoyable!

Sunday Shoes
Sunday Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars A melancholic masterpiece, 27 July 2005
This review is from: Sunday Shoes (Audio CD)
I first heard "Denim scarecrow" on the radio in autumn 2004 and thought: I have to have this. I could not find it anywhere but managed to get a cd sent from Little Kiss Records in Albuquerque, New Mexico. As always when buying a cd based on one song, I wasn't sure what to expect. But this collection of folk/americana/roots rock songs is a true gem. Nels Andrew's lyrics are not exactly uplifting as song after song portrays the vulnerable underbelly of southern states' society. Cheap whiskey, dust, vagabonds, whores, lost love, broken hearts, dreams and longing - all poignantly described through Nels' haunting voice. All this melancholy could be too much if it wasn't for the beautiful music. N.A. & The El Paso Eyepatch use a lot of guitars (acoustic, electric, steel, mandolin) but economically distributed throughout, so the melodic songs are sometimes rock with roots, sometimes folk or country that rocks. This record will last.