Profile for Annette > Reviews

Content by Annette

Annette (London)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Fraudulent and illegal, 2 Mar. 2013
You're claiming this can "relieve" cancer? Under the 1939 Cancer Act it's illegal to make such a claim in the UK. What on earth is this product doing on Amazon?

Melanie's Marvelous Measles
Melanie's Marvelous Measles
by Stephanie Messenger

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous nonsense, 4 Jan. 2013
I nearly died when I had measles as a child. Another child living nearby did die. Not so marvellous...

This book's advice, if followed, will lead to the unnecessary deaths of children. That's not my opinion, it's a fact that's well-supported by the evidence. I implore parents to ignore this ill-informed author and make use of the vaccinations that have saved the lives of millions.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2013 2:15 PM BST

Saved by Cake
Saved by Cake
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 26 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Saved by Cake (Hardcover)
What a lovely book! And a happy one too, which is odd when you consider why Marion Keyes came to baking. The recipes are a mix of the classic and the unusual, well-described (with lots of tips) and beautifully photographed.

I haven't read any of Keyes' fiction and I don't usually buy hardback cookery books, but I couldn't resist this when I came across it in Waitrose. Her personality shines through the text, as does her new-found love of baking. Highly recommended.

Daily Life in Victorian London : An Extraordinary Anthology (Victorian London Ebooks Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 15 May 2011
A fascinating collection of little snapshots of everyday life in 19th century London. It's items like this that bring the lives of ordinary people vividly to life for those of us who would otherwise only read about them mediated through the writers of history books.

These pieces show both how different and how similar life then was to our own world. While an article from Cassell's Household Guide of 1880 shows how much our attitudes to bathing have changed in 130 years, an item from The Penny Illustrated Paper of 1871 bemoaning "this pest of can-canism" isn't so different from a 21st century letter to the Evening Standard complaining about the proliferation of lap-dancing clubs.

The book is well-presented on the Kindle. The active table of contents lists the items by subject, alphabetically - so The Can-Can is followed by Cars, Childhood Discipline and Christmas. A nice touch is a link at the top of the first page of each item that skips straight to the next item, allowing the reader to browse through the book easily.

Decent Exposure (Little Black Dress)
Decent Exposure (Little Black Dress)
by Phillipa Ashley

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 13 Oct. 2006
I thoroughly enjoyed this and thought it was a great read. I loved Will and Emma, and the idea of the nude calendar. I thought the writing was bright and sassy and funny, I liked the sense of place, and I thought the pace was perfect.

This book does exactly what it says on the tin - it's an enjoyable, warm-hearted read, and I look forward to more from Phillipa Ashley.