Profile for Anthony del Porto > Reviews

Content by Anthony del Porto

Anthony del Porto (wirral, england)

Page: 1 | 2
The House By the Sea
The House By the Sea
by Santa Montefiore

5.0 out of 5 stars pageturner, 10 April 2014
This review is from: The House By the Sea (Paperback)
Having never read anything by santa before, I was pleasantly surprised to find this novel so enjoyable. The Argentine, man, Rafa, appeals to all, men and women, you find as the plot develops, you want to know his secrets. My own take on a good read is the story will affect you emotionally, and be un-put downable. This book fulfils both requirements.
I wish my own story,John Lennon's guitar, had this many reviews!

Brainstorm Toys Space Torch
Brainstorm Toys Space Torch

1.0 out of 5 stars disc-dearth!, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Brainstorm Toys Space Torch (Toy)
There's nothing wrong with this torch as such, apart from the fact that there are nowhere near enough discs - only 3 - you can look at your ceiling and see everything within 2 mins.Had there been say, 12 discs, the torch would've been a worthwhile investment.

The Time Machine (Enriched Classics (Pocket))
The Time Machine (Enriched Classics (Pocket))

4.0 out of 5 stars good wanit?, 30 Jan 2014
I'm finding this writing lark a little difficult now with me arthritic hands and that. But I do like to look back on me ol' classics, like this one.
My short stories are good, hope you all like them, my personal fav. is the door in the wall, though there's also this present-day author who's obviously been influenced by myself, has a very decent short story entitled,' The Iceberg, you ought to take a look. It's nearly as good as my own.

Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant
Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 29 Jan 2014
I've always been familiar with de Maupassant's work, this kindle version is free, and the bonus again, like the free poe book, is the autobiographical beginning, what a tale of misery! Makes the author's short stories come to life all the more. One of de Maupassant's stories,not saying which, influenced my own work on here, The Iceberg.

The Raven (Illustrated) (Top Five Classics Book 14)
The Raven (Illustrated) (Top Five Classics Book 14)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book because its free on kndle, 29 Jan 2014
Enjoyed the actual bio of e a poe's life,cant say any more than it's free on kindle.Poe's work is imo undervalued. the bells for eg. is one of my all-time favourite poems, the raven itself tells a true tale of heartache.

Vaporize Your Anxiety Without Drugs or Therapy
Vaporize Your Anxiety Without Drugs or Therapy
by Tom Stone

1.0 out of 5 stars wait a long time, 29 Jan 2014
Still waiting on this, ok its from the u s a but the waiting time is awful, good job it wasn't bought as a Christmas present.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping.., 29 Jan 2014
Not read any of the author's work before, story reminds me just a shade of my current fav, writer, Kate Morton's books about 'secrets.'
Same country too!
Only wish my own short story 'The Iceberg,' had as many reviews!
Definitely worth a read, that applies to both! Tony.

The Perfect Treat: Heart-warming Short Stories for Winter Nights
The Perfect Treat: Heart-warming Short Stories for Winter Nights

3.0 out of 5 stars holiday read?, 28 Jan 2014
Don't know about winter nights, i'd rather read the said stories on holiday, maybe reclining upon my luxury hammock!
Lover's should enjoy the 1st, I would hope people who read would enjoy my own little effort, all on its own, The Iceberg, though readers should have their tissues at the ready should they pur - chase!

Iceberg (Dirk Pitt Adventure)
Iceberg (Dirk Pitt Adventure)

4.0 out of 5 stars first read!, 27 Jan 2014
Intrigued because of similar title to my own work, ie THE Iceberg on kindle, obviously a lot longer, complex at times but an exciting journey nonetheless, cussler's iceberg needs a few more bluey/green tints imo!
T y for writing . tony.

The Remains of the Day
The Remains of the Day
by Kazuo Ishiguro

5.0 out of 5 stars masterpiece, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Remains of the Day (Paperback)
The only slight criticism I have of this almost perfect novel is I just couldn't help 'seeing' Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson, as the two main 'protagonists' of this story play out their roles.
There are many touching, and moving, scenes to ponder on; Stevens, the butler,narrating his own recollections of past events as he embarks on his tour of the south west, certainly evokes emotion in the reader, however; the simple pathos evoked in the style of his narration cannot help but leave one feeling both sad, and amused at the same time.
I would recommend this book most heartily, but perhaps you ought to read it having NEVER watched the film version, or you may find your own mind inhabited by Hopkins and Thompson!

Page: 1 | 2