Profile for Miss epiphany > Reviews

Content by Miss epiphany

Miss epiphany "epiphany90" (london)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
10-Minute Yoga Workouts: Power Tone Your Body From Top To Toe
10-Minute Yoga Workouts: Power Tone Your Body From Top To Toe
by Barbara Currie

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic...and still one of the best, 19 April 2008
Brought this book around a year ago and can't believe I haven't written a review so here goes! I had never heard of Barbara Currie and initally took the ignorant attitude that as she was significantly older than I was, this was a book for the very unfit. However, best aspects about this book: each 'workout' focuses on a specific area and lasts for around 10 minutes each. Each pose describes what it aims to address which I found very motivating. More importantly, they work, provided you do a little each day. I initially did this solidly for around a month and it was noticeable how much more flexible I was. There is a section on power stretches that is helpful to do before bed which a. made me realise how unflexible I was, and b. have significantly helped me to increase my overall suppleness and range of movement, especially around my hip area. I'm still working up to the more advanced poses so this is definitely a great book for beginners, intermediate and advanced yoga fans. The only negative is not really around the book itself - I have seem many comments that some find yoga a little boring so I do this in front of the TV (yes, you can tell I am not the fittest person around!) or sometimes I whack on a CD and really focus into the movements. This was my original book on yoga and still my best in terms of it actually working. I do have other books, but this is till one of the best as it provides excellent and clear desciptions on how to move into and hold the pose, how long it should be held with excellent colour photographs. DEFINITELY worth buying.

Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts
Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts
by Sang H. Kim

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for martial artists, 19 April 2008
I brought this book as I want to increase my flexibility. I'm not a martial artist and basically use exercise DVD's so was a bit hesitant. I headed to this as I have been using the Billy Blanks Tae-Bo DVD's (great!) that involve roundhouse and side kicks and wanted to increase the height of my kicks. However...the book is written in very plain language - no jargon and not intimidating. It talks about what influences your flexibility, and the different types of stretching. It then has sections on different stretches for each body part. The most useful section for me were a range of suggested workouts - each one working all body parts. These ranged from a basic core workout, a warm-up and cool down workout (and I have noticed a difference in my flexibility using these)and a range of suggested workouts for different types of sports. Even better, there is a section focusing on each body part listing page numbers for those exercises to respectively begin, maintain and increase flexibility in each part. This also includes 'shortcuts' for those body parts where you are experiencing short-term tension i.e. in the neck.that have also helped me. Whilst some of the pointers may be said to be basic, as I have forgotten my school days I found these extremely useful. There is also a good section on how your body works and the muscles and how increasing flexibilty works. I think the details in this book can be applied to anyone regardless of their sport, from complete beginners, to those more experienced. If there are any downsides to the book, I was personally not overkeen on the pictures for the stretches - these consisted of two black and white photo's with a brief description on how to perform it with a picture of how to start and how you should look when the stretch is performed, but that is such a minor quibble. I have not regretted buying this book as I think it is relevant, useful, and I am beginning to notice a difference having performed the core workout (15 mins)each day.

The Anatomy of Stretching
The Anatomy of Stretching
by Brad Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good stretching book for the average person, 19 April 2008
I use some aerobic DVD's and often find that the cool down is not long enough, leavng me with the obligatory soreness the day after or so. I also hold some tension in my neck and was looking for a book that showed a range of stretches for various body parts. Have to say that I love this book. The best thing about it is that it shows a range of stretches for each body part (see the contents page on Amazon) - each stretch shows a diagram with the affected muscle highlighted so you can clearly see what muscle should be stretched. There are also pointers on how to perform it correctly, and the sport injury that each stretch can help with. There is a brief section on different types of stretches which was very useful. Only downside is that it does not show a workout programme but as I brought it to stretch isolated areas, not a real problem, plus it is easy to compile your own workout with a bit of thought. In my view, this book is ideal for the average person - not technically complicated, clear diagrams and easy to follow.If you want more technical information, I would advise looking elsewhere but if you are like me and just want to stretch after a workout or to alleviate tension, I don't think you can get much better.

DIGIHOME DVB915 FREEVIEW Digital Terrestrial Receiver with SCART Lead
DIGIHOME DVB915 FREEVIEW Digital Terrestrial Receiver with SCART Lead

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to use it has to be criminal!, 13 Feb 2007
Petite, classy and easy to set up. Just one word, check that you plug the right end of the scart lead into the correct sockets - learn from my mistake! OK, I (finally) attached the scart lead into the correct sockets of the box and the TV (AV1 or 2), connected the aerial lead (provided) to the TV and the box, plugged my free-standing TV aerial into the 'antenna in' part of the box, and then pressed the standby button on the remote control. It switched to the correct AV channel, I followed the on-screen instructions and it started to check for all free channels. 2 minutes later and I am the proud user of over 50 channels, including digital radio! I'm a very happy bunny. The only thing I noticed is that the screen on my TV is now a little darker than previously, however, this was easily rectified by adjusting the Picture contrast using my original TV remote. Also love the TV guide that shows 'now and next'. This is my first foray into the world of digital and I'm never going back! Don't forget, I had a free-standing TV aerial and the picture on all channels is now crystal-clear. I love this item, it's cheap, effective, looks good and is perfect for those people who are a little technically-shy. For the price, buy buy buy before the digital switch-over (yes, I may be a little hasty but get the deals now!)

Sanyo DVD-SX25 Multi-region capable Slim Line DVD Player
Sanyo DVD-SX25 Multi-region capable Slim Line DVD Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive for the price, 2 Feb 2007
I'm technically inept - imagine my joy when I found this slim little number that was muti-region capable. It arrived next day from Amazon, and apparantly the post people hadn't knocked it about on its journey a.k.a. it arrived in perfect condition. I lugged it home on the busiest tube line in rush hour - easy as very light (aided by a few evil looks at people whose feet ventured too close). Set up: I plugged it in, attached the scart lead to the player and the TV (AV 2) and then switched on my TV. Swiched the player on, and my TV automatically switched to AV 2. I followed the multi-region instructions, no problems. Job done. Sat down later to watch a DVD and could not get the TV to show the DVD that was playing. Having pressed every single button on my remote, I was ready to give up, then checked the basics - the scart lead had somehow come slightly away from the DVD player - pushed it back in and now no problems! I love this player for the following reasons - its's very light, slim and classy looking and even better, does the job. Great picture as well. Yes, the disc holder is flimsy but don't accidentally knock into it therefore no problems. Would HIGHLY recommend this to everyone who needs a cheap DVD player - I shopped around quite a lot and don't like paying for rubbish. Other reviewers have had problems with broken parts upon delivery but for my part, its absolutely great. I don't write many reviews, only when it is deserved...

The Dark Tower
The Dark Tower
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 31 July 2006
This review is from: The Dark Tower (Paperback)
A fitting end to the epic. I will not give any details away, except I usually find King lets his books down with the ending, however in this instance the ending is superlative. I finished the hardback version, then after a couple of months went back and read the whole thing from start to finish. Seriously, for those of you who are not sure of King, read the Dark Tower series. Yes, the Gunslinger is a little slow, but a necessary evil. I promise you, get to Book 2 and you'll be hooked. I want to rave about it a little more, however, I refuse to provide any spoilers. Read and enjoy!

Sony MDR-E931LP Silver Fontopia headphones
Sony MDR-E931LP Silver Fontopia headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely buy these, 8 Feb 2006
Having previously brought the MDR-EX71 headphones(and being EXTREMELY disappointed with their lack of bass and tinny sound quality), I brought these to use with my Creative Zen. One word: excellent. Extremely comfortable to wear and the sound quality has a rich bass and as a previous reviewer said, the volume on my Zen has to be turned down - much better for my ears when on London Underground.I can hear the atmospheric aspects to the music that apparantly never existed before with the EX71. I am not a technical person nor do I really care about electrical goodies, so it goes to show how good these really are for me to review them! The cloth covered cord does the job - apart from that, they're headphones with a really good sound. Seriously, what else do you need?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3