Profile for HAVEN > Reviews

Churches - How to Read Them [DVD]
Churches - How to Read Them [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars MESMERIZING, 21 July 2013
I was quite thrilled with this series. I was absolutely mesmerized by the views of all the old churches - just beautiful and the history most fascinating. The meanings behind carvings, etc. I would love to learn even more history of each church from beginning to where it stands today (or remnants). Learn even more about the people that built them, attended them, how they lived, what they ate, good and bad times. What a wonder to take each church and understand that everything within and out, had meaning not just for appearance .... quite fascinating really.

Seven Ages of Britain [DVD]
Seven Ages of Britain [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Dimbleby

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Seven Ages of Britain [DVD] (DVD)
Very interesting and put together so well. One can learn so much from history brought together in concise chronology. In our fast-paced world today one can easily loose sight of where we came from and how we progressed through the years. Sometimes it's just plain enjoyable to go back in time and recognize how much has changed, some for the good and some not so good. I for one am saddened by the loss of so many of yesterdays old towns and villages to commercialization, but that is progress. An excellent overview of how it was.

Jack Taylor: Collection One [DVD]
Jack Taylor: Collection One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Iain Glen
Offered by rightpricediscs

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT UP TO SNUFF, 21 July 2013
I do quite like Iian Glen and he was no disappointment in this series. Hard-drinking, brooding & rough, with a gentle soul. But a good actor does not a successful series make. Murder mysteries are one of my favorites but this was a rather mundane, slow paced series. I'm always in search of more Morse, Wallendar, Lewis, Frost, Piroit, Lynley, Miss Marple, etc., etc., but I'm afraid this series does not meet my expectations in content. While interesting, it's lacking in substance. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad series just - not up to snuff for me - I do so miss series that take us around to the villages, towns and outlands not just big city crime, as in this series. I'm at odds as to whether I would recommend purchase of this series - maybe better to rent it. Although I can't say I'm sorry I bought it.

Dark Shadows (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Dark Shadows (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by filmrollen

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY 'CUTE', 21 July 2013
I can't give this a raving review but it was enjoyable. It was a typical Johnny Depp affair walking on the odd-side. I was aware of the Dark Shadows series back-when, but really didn't know what to expect from this movie. I try not to take-to-heart others reviews so as not t be overly influenced one way or the other. The comedic side was what gave the movie it's punch. Johnny Depp has always been a favorite of mine and I was not disappointed - it was very cute!

Stargate Universe: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray]
Stargate Universe: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Robert Carlyle
Offered by Not2day Media

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Well!, 21 July 2013
Oh well, I adore Robert Carlye, so there it is - that was the 'only' reason I bought this series. Although, I will NEVER understand why it is actor's are hired for projects and then forced (?) to obliterate their true accent. And, of course, his part was not nearly as big a part as I had hoped for. Nevertheless, this series was a typical 'Star-Trek' genre (although not as good) but fair-to-midland in content and enjoyable for a lazy-day watch.

Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Morrison

3.0 out of 5 stars INTERESTING, 21 July 2013
I will say Robert Carlyle was the draw for me in this series, as I do adore him. The premise of the series was interesting with the back-and-forth between fantasy and reality. I found it quite enjoyable, although the wicked queen/mayor (can't remember her name) was annoying after awhile - but overall I was entertained and isn't that what it's all about?

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - Series One [DVD]
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Essie Davis
Offered by Assai-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars PLEASANTLY SURPRISED, 21 July 2013
I was not familiar with this series, but have always been drawn to murder mysteries and particularly those from all different countries. Not knowing quite what to expect - at first, I was disappointed. For some odd reason, it was hard for me to get used to the characters, they seemed so very different and found them an odd lot. I didn't find them particularly amiable. Further into the series, though, once I got to 'know' them, I began to like them all very much and enjoyed this series immensely and thoroughly enjoyed it to it's end. Am very glad I invested in the series.

Midnight Lace [DVD]
Midnight Lace [DVD]
Dvd ~ Doris Day

3.0 out of 5 stars TO EACH HIS OWN, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Midnight Lace [DVD] (DVD)
OK! I admit it - this is not a very good movie; in fact, I might even say it's rather bad; but, Rex Harrison was always one of my favorites and can watch a movie just for that reason. It's a typical mystery where one can pretty well guess what's going on - not very clever, in fact rather corny, but I still like it nonetheless. Doris Day is a tad 'over-the-top' at times which can be quite annoying but for an easy-watch, it stays among movies of yesterday I can still enjoy.

The Thrill Of It All! [DVD]
The Thrill Of It All! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Doris Day

4.0 out of 5 stars EASY WATCHING, 21 July 2013
This review is from: The Thrill Of It All! [DVD] (DVD)
A sweet movie - nothing to write home about, but nevertheless enjoyable. I could watch the adorably, precocious little daughter in this movie non-stop - she is just marvelous. Entertaining back when movies could be viewed just for pleasure in of itself, needing no visceral taps into the neverlands of our brain. Good stuff!

Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Thaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment - NO!, 21 July 2013
I read and re-read the reviews on this complete series and was, I'll admit, hesitant. My biggest fear was not the content to which I was most familiar, but rather the quality of picture, as many reviews were described as quite inferior. After much debate with myself and upon learning that in the U.S. it would cost me over $500 (£750 ) to purchase by series individually, or $150 (£225) for the complete set - I decided I was truly getting an unbeatable bargain at $41 (£61) even if there were some picture quality issues - how bad could it be, I thought. Well, I found only minor picture quality issues which only lasted seconds at a time and this happened rarely - that being, just a tiny fraction of partial scenes which were a bit 'grainy' and a couple scenes where after 're-mastering', were a bit 'too-close' (one really does not care to see every pore in ones' face) - but rather enjoyed the close-up of John Shaw's beautiful blue eyes! .... and as I said, these imperfections only lasted but just a second or so. So, I can say, I throughly enjoyed this series from beginning to end, more than satisfied and for the cost - even more enjoyable if that's possible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3