Profile for gary > Reviews

Content by gary

gary

Tesa Powerstrips Large Removable Self Adhesive Strips (10 Strips)
Tesa Powerstrips Large Removable Self Adhesive Strips (10 Strips)
Price: 4.90

1.0 out of 5 stars don't hope for too much!, 2 Nov 2012
I probably expected too much, I applied 4 of these to a small plastic electronic device, which weighs about 400g. I wanted to attach it to the underside of a glass shelf.

They couldn't cope - the unit fell off almost immediately.

Samsung 40-inch 3D Smart LED Slim TV UE40ES6800 Full HD 1080p Widescreen with Dual Core Processor (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Ideal Office Supplies Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars quite smart actually!, 16 Oct 2012
After much research, store crawling, review reading and agonising, I took delivery of this TV from Amazon 2 weeks ago.

The bottom line is - it's a great TV. It does what I want very well, it looks great (I was aiming for a minimalistic set up/hidden cables/low-profile etc, the picture quality is good in sd, and spectacular in HD/blu-ray.

Set up was easy, sure - there's lots to explore and tweak if you want to (such as sound/picture qualities) but its fine out of the box. My set up has this TV at the heart, supported by a Yamaha YSP 4100 sound bar, a Yamaha YST-FSW050BL sub-woofer, a Panasonic DMP-BBT01EB 3d blu-ray player and a 1st generation Apple TV. I've managed to install them all without a cable now being in sight. The TV hangs on the wall (if you chose) and so makes for a very sleek profile (tip - buy the more expensive wall-hanging kit, the 10 one is now in my bin, I just didn't trust it).

I connected to the web using a wired connection & internet use is easy. It readily recognised all my other kit as mentioned above, via the HDMI connections I made (there are 4 connections I think)

On the downside, I'm not too bothered personally about some of the pre-loaded apps and links found on the home page, but I can ignore them or maybe delete them.

A note on the sound - it's 'common knowledge' that the sound on these super-slim machines isn't good. So I spent more than I did on the TV, buying a good quality sound bar, to find the TV sound is actually quite good! However, I'd say it's only really good enough for 'standard' TV watching, and not for music or serious cinematic effects. My advice would be to try it stand-alone first before you add a sound system, to see if it meets your needs.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2012 8:31 AM GMT

Panasonic DMP-BBT01EB Black Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BBT01EB Black Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player

4.0 out of 5 stars neat & does the job, 16 Oct 2012
I bought this after reading the spec and seeing it revealed at a tech show on You tube. I needed a 3d capable blu ray player that wasn't a huge ugly slab of plastic, as I was installing a new tv/sound/player set up & among my priorities was aesthetics.

The machine is small and nicely designed with carbon fibre-like surfaces and proportions that have allowed me to mount it on a small shelf below my new TV (Samsung 40" 6 series). It's more-or-less the same size as my 1st generation Apple TV, and I have been able to sit it directly on top of the ATV, using the stand that came with the Panasonic.

Set up was easy enough, most of the basic functions work straight from the box (movie & music disc playing for instance) and the quality is good. I connected it to my TV with an HDMI cable & the TV recognised its presence right away. I connected it to my router wirelessly & access to the web was simple, but mostly (as far as I can see) this will occur via pre-addressed websites (for instance, Netflix) although there are 'blank' app spaces, which look like they may be ready to 'hold' downloadable apps perhaps.

There is a slot for an SD card slt and a USB connection so you can view photos' videos or listen to music from the card, memory stick/hard drive or of course - a disc.

Price at Amazon was much better than at some other outlets - such as John Lewis.

The remote is especially good, with a touch-pad central control rather like you'd find on a laptop. There are dedicated buttons for 'internet' and 'netflix'. It's pleasing that there aren't the usual myriad of buttons, and again its less ugly than the usual remote because it's smaller and simpler in design - the touch pad allows for easier navigation that the usual push-button remote.

I'd buy this again if I were starting again

Bosch ART 23 Easytrim Electric Grass Trimmer (23 cm Cutting Diameter)
Bosch ART 23 Easytrim Electric Grass Trimmer (23 cm Cutting Diameter)
Price: 24.99

1.0 out of 5 stars useless, 25 May 2011
No matter how cheap a product - it should work. Like others have said (I didnt read the reviews before purchasing) the line snaps off within the spool far too easilly - averaging arounf every 30 seconds or so, even with really careful use on light grass edges. I've owned it a week - will be binning it.