Profile for Andy > Reviews

Content by Andy

Andy (Surrey United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Ancheer 2 meters Stainless Steel Handheld Shower Hose (6.5 Ft) (78.7 Inches) (2 Meters)
Offered by ENICER

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - unlike a previous replacement from different supplier, 13 Jan. 2016
Too soon to say how long it will last. Not quite as cheap as the one it replaced which itself lasted 2 years. But main thing is it works perfectly forming a water tight connection at both ends. Unlike a previous Triton replacement which leaked at one end regardless which way round I used the hose.

Oral-B Pro 650 CrossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun - Black (Packaging may vary)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but it will not last!, 5 Jan. 2016
Having used an electric toothbrush for years would not go back to a manual one. No idea whether Oral B is better than others but seem regularly on discounted prices (50%). I guess because the one it replaced was Oral B I bought another.

However, I do have a gripe about the way these things are sold these days. Firstly the heavy discounting is an indicator to me that they are really not worth the list price but attract people by the apparent bargain price. This seems poor practice for a reputable company. But maybe this is the same for all of them.

Secondly, everytime I buy one of these it comes with a different charger. Come on - let's have some standardisation. My wife and I both have Oral B brushes and yet we have two different chargers. Plus I could then buy the brush without the charger.

And why did I need to replace it? Same for everyone I bet. Planned obsolescence. Any device that operates with a built in (and immovable) rechargeable battery has a limited lifetime. Surely it would not be beyond the limits of modern science to have a replaceable battery. But of course how much money would they make selling a battery versus a new unit. This means, IMHO, it is simply not worth buying a "smart" one (like I did before) with Bluetooth and separate timer etc etc. The weakest link in the chain is the battery.

So this one is basic but was good value for money. And has the essential item - a charging light that shows it is charging up. Amazingly my wife's Oral B does not even have a charging light and so we have no way of knowing if it is charging (given the fact we have multiple chargers and so the only way to know it is compatible is to try it).

DIGIFLEX 2M Flexible Stainless Steel Shower Bathroom Hose Pipe
DIGIFLEX 2M Flexible Stainless Steel Shower Bathroom Hose Pipe
Offered by Digiflex

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked well until the day it broke (after two years), 5 Jan. 2016
The outer metal tube came adrift exposing the thin rubber inner tube. Tried to reattach it to the connector but it had sheared off. Word of advice. Don't use a shower hose if this happens as the water pressure ruptures the rubber inner tube.

Checked back to when I bought it and it was 2 years ago - almost to the day! Now these things don't work for ever but I would have expected more than 2 years. But this was really cheap. So maybe it is OK to buy cheap and replace regularly. If so then buy a spare!

AVANTEK CP162 14''-16'' Laptop Cooling Pad with Dual 140mm Fans at 1200RPM (2 Fans)
Offered by Avantek UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Cooler but not really quieter, 16 Dec. 2015
It does the job of fairly quickly dropping CPU temps. And as my laptop normally runs warm enough to activate the fans then the fans do turn off when the cooler is on. If I unplug the power to the cooler then the fans come back on within 45-60 seconds. But noise wise I am just replacing the sound of my laptop fan with the cooler fans. Now the cooler fans are bigger and so spin slower and so the noise is lower pitch but I would not say quieter. The laptop fans are higher pitch and so a bit more noticeable.

The on off switch is difficult to get to as partially covered by the tilt mechanism. If you want maximum tilt the switch is exposed but if you want to operate it flat the switch (and the USB ports) are difficult to get at. so I tend to unplug the cable from the USB port. It also means if you don't have multiple USB ports then you have to use the USB ports on the back of the cooler which are also difficult to get at.

The nice blue lights are pretty pointless. The laptop covers them up.

SanDisk Ultra 16 GB SDHC Memory Card up to 80 MB/s, Class 10 FFP [Newest Version]

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with video playback on my camera, 14 Dec. 2015
I have had problems with this card in my Nikon Coolpix S7000 camera even though it is explicitly supported. Camera locks up on video playback. You are warned you need a fast card for video recording and so the reason I went for this one. Now I can't be sure the problem is the card and I have not done enough testing of this card in other devices and vice versa to be sure. But if I had to hazard a guess I would say it is something to do with the card. Maybe the ultra high speed is the problem.

Panasonic KX-TG8563 Triple Corldess DECT Telephone set with Baby Monitor / Advanced Alarm Clock / Colour screen and Answer Machine
Offered by magicdiscounts

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally good and excellent VFM from a marketplace seller, 14 Dec. 2015
Replaced another Panasonic DECT phone which was powering off and seemed to be unable to keep batteries charged. Key feature was the voice announced called ID. So when someone calls then it says their name. On this phone it is auto generated from text to voice although my previous phone allowed you to record the name. Personally I preferred that.

Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.0 MP, CMOS Sensor, 20x Zoom) 3.0 -Inch LCD
Offered by TODO! TODO!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as "point and shoot" but lacks any control. Have had some technical problems, 1 Dec. 2015
Not entirely sure yet. Really good camera on paper and was bought to replaced a 5 year old Sony compact. Did quite a bit of research on this purchase and compared with Sony and Panasonic competitors. Bought mainly for the better zoom, HD video, WiFi/NFC and the fact it can be charged using a generic USB cable (no need to take the original battery charger with you) but

a) lack of control over any settings means struggled to get anything good when used indoors for moving objects. All I could do was increase ISO to increase shutter speed. Reckon I had more control on my old Sony.

b) have encountered two technical problems
- once the camera locked up - screen went black but camera did not turn off and lens retract - no response to controls. Had to pop battery and then reinsert to restart camera. Never happened again.
- video playback hangs - again needed to pop battery to restart camera. This has happened multiple times but not always and so not a repeatable problem at will. I am using a Sandisk Ultra high speed card Class 10 80Mbs. Sometimes would then hang again at the same point and sometimes not. Then again some videos I have taken play back faultlessly and so a bit puzzling. My guess is it is card specific as did a quick go on a different card and yet to see the problem. But not conclusive. SDHC card is specifically named as supported in guide.
*** Update: Changed the SDHC card and I have not seen the problem so far. Integral Class 10 45Mbps ***

c) Supplied printed manual covers only the basics - so you need to download the reference manual to find all instructions. For example found NFC usage only in reference manual.

d) WiFi setting is OK for being able to email a photo or upload to Twitter or FB but it won't upload a HQ image and so it is NOT a means to backup your photos from the camera while on holiday (in case the camera is lost or stolen). For this I would still need a cable based backup (see more on this below). Not very intuitive either - you have to have started the Nikon app before it will show connected. Just says "connecting..." until then. It is not like connecting to an access point. I suppose the app is creating the ad hoc access point rather than the phone's basic WiFi function.

e) NFC. Camera does indeed support NFC but would seem not on Apple iOS. Maybe an Apple issue. Feel that should have been made more obvious in the product description

f) so with no NFC on iOS devices, I tried to connect via a USB camera adapter kit to both an iPhone (now with 9.2 support for this) and an iPad. Neither worked - it recognised the camera and its support for PTP but then said "device requires too much power". I read somewhere that turning off "charge from computer" on the camera fixes this but for me it didn't. The other suggestion that I have not tried is to connect the camera via a powered USB hub but this is not very practical as a solution for on the move uploading. Good news is that I was able to connect the S7000 to a cheap Android tablet via an OTG cable and import the photos that way. So that will become my on the go backup solution

TP-LINK TL-WN725N 150Mbps Wireless-N Nano USB Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN725N 150Mbps Wireless-N Nano USB Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick but not that resilient and robust, 1 Dec. 2015
Usually needed to replace an integral WiFi capability in a laptop that has failed and so not the first one like this that I have bought. Can't comment on performance as bought for my son's laptop. He has not complained.

My only reason for the lack of 5 stars is that they are not very robust. If you leave the thing in place and be careful that you don't bash it on anything when you move the laptop then maybe ok. But I have had several of these and at least two have simply fallen apart some months later. The black end cap (and with the electronics in it) comes adrift from the USB connector

Mr Beams MB390 300-Lumen Weatherproof Wireless Battery Powered LED Ultra Bright Spotlight with Motion Sensor, Dark Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this although an impulse buy, 1 Dec. 2015
Bought this on an impulse as on a 'deal of the day'. But it was worked well. Motion sensor works perfectly being sensitive enough for when it should activate but does not keep coming on for no apparent reason. The need to keep changing the batteries was a concern but I have used high capacity rechargeable batteries which have been happily working for 2 months on an initial charge. Of course this depends on how often they are triggered but the good news is that the device does not drain the battery requiring me to charge the batteries every week.

LEDs are great for power consumption but most people seem to find their light output disappointing but these LEDs are bright enough for the purpose. Sure they are not as bright as halogen floodlights and don't turn night into day but perfectly acceptable.

Connect 35084 210mm Michelin Tyre Valve Extension-Flexible Type (Pack of 1)
Connect 35084 210mm Michelin Tyre Valve Extension-Flexible Type (Pack of 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Dec. 2015
Excellent - just what I needed. I had the 'clamp on' connector that many pumps use - often meaning you lose air in attaching and detaching the connector in what can be an awkward tyre position. This screws onto the valve and makes the whole process a lot better.

That said I recommend if you are replacing a pump that you find one with a screw on and not clamp on connector

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13