Profile for J. Lamede > Reviews

Content by J. Lamede

J. Lamede "The Tintagel Storyteller" (Cornwall)

Covering McKellen: An Understudy's Tale
Covering McKellen: An Understudy's Tale
by David Weston
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the memories!, 8 Jun 2012
Oh! I am loving this book - I can scarcely put it down long enough to write this.

It is full of the people I know - and events I shared - and is bringing back great memories of the RSC in 1967 and on tour.

Ignore sourpuss Graham's review - life has always been hard for actors and very few indeed become stars. But those stars would be unable to work without the talented and dedicated support of the thousands of unknowns who play all the other roles and are ready to go on as an understudy at a moment's notice.

At last, here is a funny, enjoyable book telling some of the truths about life as a jobbing actor.

Thundershirt Anxiety Coat for Dog, M, Grey
Thundershirt Anxiety Coat for Dog, M, Grey
Price: 30.23

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!, 8 Jun 2012
I don't know why or how - but it does work! Thunder, wind, hail, fireworks - anything unusual at all and my cairn terrier would spend the night sitting on my head, crying, panting, shaking. Neither of us got any sleep at all.

Last night, in gale force winds, the panic started again. So I dressed her in her Thundershirt and she immediately sat absolutely still and calm. After an hour I took it off - the wind was still raging, but she just stretched out and went to sleep. And so did I!

The Sculptress
The Sculptress
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the Prologue?, 25 May 2012
This review is from: The Sculptress (Kindle Edition)
If you are reading this book in Kindle, you may miss the all-important Prologue and Epilogue - they are not listed in the contents - and they are both hidden away right at the back, behind other stuff, like a plan of the house and biog of the author. It was only when I had a chance to look at a paperback version that I realised what I had missed!
I have notified the publisher - so they might make the necessary corrections.

3-Year Kindle Protection Plan with Accident & Theft Cover by SquareTrade, UK customers only
Offered by Squaretrade Limited
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fair & Square, 16 Nov 2011
So far all seems well. This was an easy transaction at a fair price. The policy arrived swiftly and looks good. Hopefully I won't need to make a claim, and so may never learn if they are as good as their word.Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on historical principles (2 Volume Set)
The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on historical principles (2 Volume Set)
by William Little

4.0 out of 5 stars Caution!, 23 Nov 2010
Of course, these two volumes are an essential source of reference for many kinds of scholar - but if you are intending to buy secondhand, take note of my experience.
Five times I ordered these books, each time from a different seller. Four times only Vol.1 arrived. None of these could send me Vol.2 and so refunded the money - one even sent me a second copy of Vol.1 in compensation!
It was fifth time lucky. At last I got the complete set - and the local charity shop is wondering what to do with so many copies of Vol.1
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2012 10:27 AM BST

Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show: v. 1
Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show: v. 1
by Ed Schubert
Price: 9.36

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 15 Mar 2009
What a great storyteller he is! No matter what he is writing about, I can never put his books down.

Nelsons Spatone 100% Natural Iron Supplement--28 Sachets
Nelsons Spatone 100% Natural Iron Supplement--28 Sachets
Price: 6.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, 15 Mar 2009
Being constantly borderline anaemic... and unable to tolerate iron tablets... I was delighted to discover Spatone. It really does seem to help - with none of the nasty side effects I get from the tablets.