Profile for Hugh Miller > Reviews

Hugh Miller

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars For pro users, worth a look, 12 Mar. 2014
Was due a laptop upgrade for work this year and decided to move to this for portability and use a Macbook for Adobe apps. I've installed the Creative Cloud on this and it works very well. I'm using it in tandem with the Dell S2340T touchscreen monitor/dock and I can run Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash together along with a few browsers and some smaller apps with decent performance. 4 stars because there can be a bit of lag - but on a 4Gb device that's to be expected I suppose.

I'd heard nothing but negativity about Windows 8, but out of the box I loved it, the Metro screen is better than the iPad or Samsung Tab for laying out my apps and the desktop alternative is basically the same as Win7. Treat the Metro interface as a reinvention of the Start button for touch interfaces and you'll soon settle in.

The 128Gb version will be a problem for storage, I've put a 64Gb SD card in mine and have a 1TB USB drive on hand though, so it's still lighter in my bag than my old Dell M4400. For the record, installed on the 128Gb with 50Gb still free on the storage I have full version of Office 365, the full Adobe Creative Cloud, Android and Windows Developers toolkits and every utility app that I require. The machine itself feels robust and the stand is great - I have to use a little plastic stand I got from Amazon for my other tablets. Surprisingly there is no 3G built in, but that's no dealbreaker these days.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone except people working on high-end projects, and if you're on one of those buy it as a portable alternative PC, it's great.

Western Digital Elements 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
Western Digital Elements 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent drive. Case not so much, 15 Jan. 2014
Drive is still running well after a long time. Power supply gave out after three months and Western Digital insisted I return the drive, with data, to them in the USA for a swap with no guarantee that the data would be preserved. I opted to bin the case and buy a new enclosure.

Switched scart splitter box, nickel plated, 3-way
Switched scart splitter box, nickel plated, 3-way
Offered by ELECTRONIC-SPACE

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, 15 Jan. 2014
and never worked properly. Constantly jumping to other connections or simply refusing to connect. Binned it and bought one from elsewhere for half the price. Works perfectly.

Arkon Folding Tablet Stand for iPad Air iPad mini iPad and Android Tablet PC
Arkon Folding Tablet Stand for iPad Air iPad mini iPad and Android Tablet PC
Offered by North Laine Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job but..., 15 Jan. 2014
Brilliant device for placing my tablet next to my workstation, especially when building apps on the device, but has a tendency to slip so wouldn't recommend if you intend to use it to watch movies or Netflix type apps on.

Allen Carr's Lose Weight Now
Allen Carr's Lose Weight Now

3.0 out of 5 stars Remain to be convinced, 4 Jan. 2014
I take the point about switching to fresh fruit and veg from processed foods and agree with sentiment, but am not convinced about the 'stone age diet' nature of the advice. Not sure that it's quite the zero-willpower and problem free approach the author thinks.

Apple iPhone 5 Screen Protector (2 in Pack) Packed with Cleaning Cloth By Babz Media
Offered by Colourful2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 29 Nov. 2013
If you have a smartphone and don't have a screen protecter, one day it'll slip out of your hands and suffer a scratch. Lesson learned from my first one. These will help protect your screen from scratches and scrapes, especially handy if you use the phone outdoors a lot.

Trixie Anti-Slip Dog Socks, S-M, Grey
Trixie Anti-Slip Dog Socks, S-M, Grey
Offered by Angels Aquatics & Pet Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy for wooden floors, 29 Nov. 2013
These have helped with our older dog on our wooden floors as he has some pain in his joints and is prone to getting excited when one of the family comes home and can quite often slip and tumble as he rushes to the front door. That happens a lot less with these on - and the sound of his claws clattering on the floorboards is noticeably quieter.

Call Candy Midnight Paisley Image Back Case for Apple iPhone SE / 5s / 5 - Multicolour
Offered by ClickJunkie

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid product, 29 Nov. 2013
This is a good cover for the iPhone 5. Purchased for my daughter, it's very robust and the only thing I would say against it is that it's really difficult to remove which with these printed covers they tend to use more than one.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine as a charger extension, but wont charge on Macbook, 29 Nov. 2013
Does what it needs to do, but if you travel a lot with work take the charger plug with you as well as the cable as this cable will not charge your iPhone or iPad through the USB connection - but syncing with it does work. The extra length of the cable does make your device easier to use when charging which is a bonus.

40 Winks Water Resistant Crate Mattress Green 30inch Medium Pets Dog Beds Sleepers 5025659042916

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to keep clean, quality product, 29 Nov. 2013
Our dog's last bed had gotten a bit tatty, he's quite old now and seems to drool a bit more, so we opted for this mattress and he loves it. Rarely see him try to sneak onto the settee or, his old favourite, our bed. The cushioned edges are perfect for him to lie down watching the world go by and for us it's much easier to keep clean than the last one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3