Profile for Bobbo Bear > Reviews

Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 DC Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras with APS-C Sensors
Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 DC Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras with APS-C Sensors
Offered by Camera Centre UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible lens, great fun to use, 30 Oct. 2014
Another magnificent addition to my travel lens collection.

I'm not particularly fussy when it comes to reviewing sharpness and the technical performance of a lens. What I can say, is that the incredible 8mm ultra wide offers opportunities that no other lens in the DX format does.

Generally F8-F11 is all I need, setting manual focus to the infinity bar region takes care of most situations. There's no VR, but handheld use up to 1/15s and even 1/10s is possible.

The 8-16mm is a joy to use for landscapes and indoors, I can take photos of entire interiors and fit a whole Roman amphitheatre into the frame no problem. Not so good for crowds of people and portraits because of the extreme distortion at the sides, but the effects are quite hilarious. It works very well in cramped spaces. Lens flare is awful when pointing at a light source so be careful with your positioning.

Build quality is very good, metal and solid, arguably better than a non-pro Nikkor DX lens. Handle with care at the front because it won't take a protective UV filter. Be prepared for the fellow photographers paying compliments to your bulbous "fisheye" lens, even though its actually an ultra wide.

Expensive but worth it, as you can see in my shots it opens up many new possibilities. I absolutely love this lens.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Polyscience Discovery Sous Vide Thermal Circulator, 20 Litre, 1000 W, Yellow
Polyscience Discovery Sous Vide Thermal Circulator, 20 Litre, 1000 W, Yellow

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect steaks every time., 21 Oct. 2014
I confess, I'm a geek when it comes to cooking. Sous vide has been making the rounds for the past couple years and devices like the thermal circulator allows the home chef to cook restaurant quality steaks to a perfect medium rare, edge to edge.

I opted for the Polyscience circulator because it takes up far less storage space than bulky purpose built sous vide water baths. All I have to do is clamp it into a big stock pot and then its ready to go. If I had loads of stuff to sous vide, I could even clamp it to my kitchen sink and use the sink as the water bath. Once I've vacuum packed my steaks, chicken breasts, pork chops etc they go into the pot, set the temp on the circulator and leave it alone for a couple of hours. I also wrap up the top of the pot with foil to keep the heat and reduce electricity usage.

Water heats up quickly and the impeller keeps the water whizzing around. Theres no hot or cold spots with this device.

Steaks are amazing, pink edge to edge. Pork chops, although slightly pink as I like them medium, are the most juiciest and tender I have ever had. Chicken breasts are incredibly succulent and tender.

To finish off your meat and get that tasty brown crust on the outside, pat the meat dry, salt, then place into a hot pan. Fry for a minute or two with butter on both sides, the milk proteins and sugars in the butter will help brown the meat and contribute to the maillard reaction. If you have a blow torch, this can also be used in addition to butter frying to get that BBQ crusted char, especially on the edges. Mmmm perfection.

As for the device, its bright yellow industrial design looks like it belongs in a science lab, heavy and built like a brick. The build quality is not perfect, the plastic panels are not as tight fitting as I expected and the touch panel is prone to peeling off at the edges. For £250 I would expect something little a bit better.

Functionally its excellent with zero issues, the temp is accurate, controls easy to use, water heats up quickly and the impeller is quiet enough.

Pros:
> Functionally sound, easy to use, much smaller and easier to store than a dedicated SV water bath
> I quite like the yellow industrial design

Cons:
> Price, at £250 this is one of the more expensive options now that competitors are bringing out a new generation of thermal circulators at cheaper prices
> Build quality could be better, while it feels sturdy and well built, the touch control panel peels off at the edges and slightly loose fitting plastics in the lower half. Minor quibbles but for the price they shouldn't even be there.

4/5.

simplehuman Sensor Pump with Soap Sample, 384 ml - Brushed Nickel
simplehuman Sensor Pump with Soap Sample, 384 ml - Brushed Nickel
Offered by Lydney Bathrooms Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 21 Oct. 2014
The best soap pump out there. The nozzle doesn't clog up and the batteries last for ages.
Fast, silent, and refilling is much easier than the previous generation of simplehuman soap pumps.
I got the bigger version, one full tank lasts for ages.
The design is beautiful, the brushed nickel version looks classy and fab in my bathroom and on my kitchen worktop.
I fill them up with my favourite liquid soaps from the high street.

Polaroid 5 Piece Camera/Camcorder Deluxe Cleaning Kit
Polaroid 5 Piece Camera/Camcorder Deluxe Cleaning Kit
Offered by Smart Shop UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 21 Oct. 2014
Cheap and does the job, all the basics are covered. Blower brush is a godsend when going out on photo trips.

Wella Shockwaves Styling Steel Styling Gel 150 ml (Pack of 3)
Wella Shockwaves Styling Steel Styling Gel 150 ml (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super strong hold, 21 Oct. 2014
My hair is thick and a nightmare to manage so I require the very strongest to keep it in check. One good thing about steel gel is it doesn't leave behind any residue if you ruffle your hair or sleep overnight in it (some gels dry out and become white and flaky like dandruff)

This is one of the strongest gels I've used, its very difficult to find it on the high street now. Delighted Amazon stock it.

SanDisk Cruzer Blade 64 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ50-064G-B35)
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 64 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ50-064G-B35)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what its meant to do, 21 Oct. 2014
Does the job. 64gb version is good value for money can put masses of movies and photos etc on it.

World Of Flavours Italian Pizza Board And Knife Set
World Of Flavours Italian Pizza Board And Knife Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pizza peel, 3 Jun. 2014
Great quality with a good hefty solid feel to it, won't warp, shrink or flake
Accommodates a large 14" pizza, and doubles up as the serving platter
The cutting blade is superior to those useless rolling pizza cutter things

Le Creuset Cast Iron Rectangular Grill - Satin Black
Le Creuset Cast Iron Rectangular Grill - Satin Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful griddle, 3 Jun. 2014
Bought to replace my old Le Creuset Grillit (same idea, but with a massive handle) which I found too bulky and heavy.

Flatter, lighter, easier to handle and with a much larger cooking area, I can even cook two entire chicken halves on this. Great for fajitas, cook and serve in the same sizzling pan. Food comes off the griddle looking like I just did it on a BBQ.

Some tips if you want to use this correctly:
1) Use only at medium heat, high heat will cause food to burn and stick.
2) Brush the food with oil, then place on the pan. Do not oil the pan, pre heat it and keep it dry until you put on food.
3) Clean only with a metal scrubber on hot water. All that cooked on grease and food juices will bake into the pan forming a non stick oily black patina. This gives food it's smoky grilled flavour, and prevents sticking. I've had zero issues with cleaning. Do not use soap, because it will wash off the precious patina and make your food taste of soap.
4) To get that grilled BBQ line effect more easily, for example on chicken breasts or steak, keep the surface of the meat dry and sprinkle on some glucose powder. This will speed up the meat browning process and it will look like its just come off a BBQ, with really deep, blackened lines and a scrummy smoke flavour.

Happy grilling

Flexmeter Wrist Guards PLUS
Flexmeter Wrist Guards PLUS

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% saved my wrists from a lot of pain, 23 Mar. 2014
Having already badly sprained my wrists and thumb joint from earlier Snowboard sessions I really didn't want to go through all that pain again. With 100% certainty this saved my wrists from a very nasty sprain or break.

Anyone learning to snowboard should have these equipped. It holds the hands in a comfortable forward but slightly bent position, its natural and easy to wear all day on the slopes. They fit comfortably under my North Face mitts.
By keeping the hands in this position, they prevent further injury by keeping the wrist in line with the arm on a fall so your entire forearm absorbs the impact rather than just the wrist would if they were unprotected and bent back.

Save yourself a broken wrist, £40 is a cheap price to pay compared to a hospital visit and a ruined snowboard holiday.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars SSD is the best upgrade for an old PC, 30 Jan. 2014
This is the 3rd Samsung drive I've bought to replace old HDDs on various computers. I've used the 840 pro, 840 and now the 840 evo. Best upgrade by far, even an oldish 5 year old laptop acts as zippy and responsive as a new one. Excel and word loads up instantly. Windows takes 20 seconds to boot. No more waiting for a rotten old hard drive to trash around.

The SSD is simply the best and most affordable upgrade you can add to a computer. For £70 it's a no brainer. I like the Samsung drives, affordable, super fast and overkill on an old SATA1 computer. Magician software is easy to use. Get it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7