Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for M. G. Chisholm > Reviews

Content by M. G. Chisholm
Top Reviewer Ranking: 168

M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rave Coffee Sparkling Water Blend Decaffeinated Fresh Roasted Coffee Beans 1KG
Rave Coffee Sparkling Water Blend Decaffeinated Fresh Roasted Coffee Beans 1KG

2.0 out of 5 stars Manages to Recreate the Genuine Taste of Instant Coffee, 19 July 2016
Slightly better than the other decaff beans I bought but only just. Makes weak tasting coffee that has both my wife and I grimacing in the morning. My wife has already said that if I inflict any more of this on her she will have a cup of tea instead. I do note that this is the Swiss water way of decaffeinating beans which sounds healthy and great but to be frank has simply made a bean to cup coffee taste like bog basic instant.

Bottom line is that it's not very nice. You will get a better and cheaper cup of decaff from a mass brand instant and this is not what I wanted.

Flymo Lithium-ion Robotic Lawnmower 1200R
Flymo Lithium-ion Robotic Lawnmower 1200R
Offered by Platinum Home and Garden

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Fun and Does Work, 19 July 2016
I bought this because I do have a large grassed area that takes me an age to cut and the price was brilliant on the Amazon deal price at £360. I do note that the RRP is close to £1000 and the Amazon normal price is £650.

And at those prices you have to think a bit about it. At £1000 you are getting pretty close to ride on tractor levels of cost and if you have a big garden then spending a bit more to get a ride on is probably the better option.

At the £650 price point it gets more interesting in that this probably justifies the outlay if you are feeling flush and are convinced that this will do what you want. I doubt that I would have coughed up that much for it though.

At the price I paid £360 it was worth a try if nothing else than for the novelty part. Which, if I'm being honest is all I expected.

However, it actually does work. It cuts my grass and leaves a generally good surface. I was a bit surprised to be honest. It has interest value and is slightly unnerving in use because acting autonomously it seems to behave like a real thing. I have been caught out a couple of times in the morning looking out of my window only to see this start up all by itself and trundle off to start it's days work.

First things though. You need a flat grassed area. My grass area is probably on the limits of what this will cope with in terms of lumps and bumps. It was formed from the spoil from under my house when I converted it so is moderately flat but not as good as say, a well laid estate house lawn. If you have something that resembles a paddock then forget it.

The basic idea is that you leave this on charge in auto all the time and for around 11 hours a day it will randomly bimble around your grassed area cutting minute bits of grass leaving it to mulch down as the Americans do. You need to start this off with a well mown lawn at which point it will maintain it.

First though you have to put a boundary wire in place to define the area to be cut. It can be pegged close to the ground or you can bury it down to 20cm. I pegged mine out to start with to make sure it worked and at some point soon I will bury it. There is also a guide wire that you run so that when the robot gets a bit tired and needs a rest it hunts for it then tracks back to base to be charged up.

Quality is good. Setup is easy - I left mine on default but you have various timing options and settings.

Safety is also good. Pretty much anything you do will shut it down preventing it from cutting people or pets. Of course I would not run this when the grandchildren are around just in case as it uses small steel blades that are quite capable of cutting the steel boundary wire as I found out when setting up.

The total area it will cut is 400m2 which is quite a chunk so no real issues on most gardens.

Overall a great interesting thing that does do what it is supposed to do. And mine is now called Isaac.

And one more thing I noted. The step down transformer for the charging base is marked as 'Husqvana,' and when you look at their version in this price range you will note that with a few cosmetic differences it is the same machine. Not sure if the Flymo is a rebadged Husky or the Husky is a rebadged Flymo. So if you fancy one of these check out both and buy the cheaper one.

Koolertron Canvas DSLR SLR Camera Shoulder Bag Backpack Rucksack Bag With Waterproof Cover And Inner Padding For Sony Canon Nikon Olympus 45cm x 28cm x 21cm(Coffee Green)
Offered by Kldeals

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Looking Camera Bag, 18 July 2016
Taking photographs is a wonderful hobby. But it has to be said that the bags whilst often very good can make one look a bit much when wandering around in 'normal' life. This bag buys into the current trend of canvas old school hiking bags and looks much more appealing when wandering around in my eyes.

Build quality is very good and it seems to be robust and well made for general use. Probably not ideal if you are going on a major walk or trek though.

It's split into top and bottom halves with the bottom section acting as the camera storage area that's well padded and safe, whilst the top part is idea for general gubbins or even a small amount of shopping.

The bottom section has an inserted padded section that's plenty big enough for a camera with lens and room for at least two more and a flash unit. The outer bags are big enough for pretty much any other camera accessories you need to tote around. There's not a specific tripod or monopod loop but you can shove it through the top if you are taking one with you. I can just about fit my Manfroto monopod in the top section with a small bit poking out the top.

Overall a great all round good looking camera bag.

Silentnight Hotel Collection Duvet, Microfibre, White, Double, 10.5 tog
Silentnight Hotel Collection Duvet, Microfibre, White, Double, 10.5 tog

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Matches Price, 18 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are cheap duvets and there are expensive ones and clearly this falls into the 'Premium,' range for sure. Looks, price and feel all suggest high end quality.

Tog of 10.5 - which I guess means ideal for spring/autumn but of course highly subjective. Like most couples my wife likes things a bit warmer whilst I prefer less in summer. For me this is a bit too much currently but my wife thinks it's ideal. I'm pretty sure across the nation at night we have millions of women squirrelled away under their duvet whilst the husbands are hanging their arse out of the bed to cool off. Hey, ho.

It comes with a handy and well made storage bag. However, if previous experience with other duvets is anything to go by getting it back into it may be a bit of a task. To be honest I shove the out of use duvet into a vacuum bag which packs it down into a surprisingly small space. Easily small enough to fit into the drawer in under the bed.

Materials are in line with the price. Top class and feel very good. I guess slightly academic as it's inside a cover, but nice to have anyway.

Overall the quality justifies the price. If it's within the range that you find acceptable then this should be on your shortlist.

Crocs Swiftwater M Men's Ankle Strap Sandals - Black (Black/Charcoal), 8 UK (42-43 EU)
Offered by Schlappenladen - Enjoy Walking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sporty Looks and Great on the Feet, 18 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hmmm. Crocs. Now here is a product that is a bit of a poser. Generally tragic to look at on your feet but so damned comfortable and easy that it's hard not to want to wear them. I love Crocs for bimbling around in as I can use them in my workshop and kick them off before I come into the house easily in order to avoid the wrath of She Who Must Be Obeyed.

But, you should never, ever wear them away from your home. Ever. In fact my wife has told me that if I step one tiny bit beyond the drive she will beat me to death with a frying pan if I'm wearing Crocs.

But they are sooooo comfy.

And here I have in my possession Crocs that look perfectly wearable in a water-sporty kind of way without looking like a reject from one of the infamous Youtube Walmart videos. Of course style is subjective, but these look pretty decent in a pair of board shorts.

In use they are very light and airy. You feet don't get sweaty at all and of course they are ideal beach wear being ideal for use in water as well. I don't know if any thought went into it but it seems that sand and grit that gets inside on the beach naturally and quickly seems to empty out within a few paces on a hard surface too, so no staggering around trying to empty out full shoes.

Well made and secure on the feet so yo won't lose them if you are doing something in the water. I'm slap bang in the middle of a size 8 or 42 and these are perfect.

Overall, Crocs for the sporty and fashion aware.

Decadent Decaf Coffee Co. Decaffeinated Indonesia Sumatra Mandheling Coffee Swiss Water Decaf Whole Bean 227 g

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a Miss. Watery and Lacks Flavour, 13 July 2016
Bluurghh. Not good. I bought this product along with decaf beans from another supplier and of the two these were by far the least good. By no means horrible and of course infinitely better than the nastiness that is instant but truth be told, given the premium marketing and price these are a bit rubbish.

And by that I mean utterly insipid. Even when brewed on the strong setting on my bean to cup machine these lack any real sense of flavour. Yes, I know that decaf stuff won't have the bite that full fat beans do but I've had much better from supermarkets own brand stuff at less than half the price.

Overall a miss. Makes watery flavourless coffee.

Scotch C38 19 mm x 8.89 m Dispenser and Tape 810 - Grey
Scotch C38 19 mm x 8.89 m Dispenser and Tape 810 - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars 3M Quality, 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oooh. A proper desk sticky tape holder at last.

Well made, mid-sized tape holder that is heavy enough to sit firmly in place whilst you dispense 3M tape but light enough to be easily picked up and stowed. I'd say that 3M have been very careful in this because it their own brand tape is high quality that peels easily apart when using it. I have a suspicion that if you use non-3M tape that is harder to peel off then this dispenser may not be quite heavy enough.

Looks neat and tidy on the desk so no problems there.

Overall a very good, very high quality desktop tape machine.

Rapesco Zero-40 Heavy Duty Long Handled 2 Hole Punch, 40 sheet Capacity - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, Modern and Well Made, 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well in all fairness it's not exactly high tech and complicated. However for the purpose it is needed then it would be harder to find a better quality small office hole punch.

Well made, stylish enough for a modern workplace and matches the other office items provided by Rapesco.

Fairly big and has a footprint about the size of an A4 sheet of paper folded in two, so if you have a tiny desk then this will take up a bit of real estate.

Will punch easily through a good sized wedge of paper with according to Rapesco up to 40 sheets of 80gsm paper. That's bog basic printer paper by the way. I didn't try 40 sheets as I couldn't justify it but I did do 25 sheets in a oner with ease.

Overall a very good office standard hole punch.

[Pittsburgh Police "Virtual Block Watch" Program Selected] Zmodo® 4CH 720P PoE NVR HD Security Camera System with 4 Indoor/ Outdoor Night Vision 720P Security Cameras and WD 1TB 3.5 Inch SATA Surveillance HDD (PoE Technology, e-Cloud, Up To 70 Days Basic/Continuous Recording Or 300+ Days Smart Recording, Smartphone Scan QR Code Quick Remote Access)
Offered by Direct Digi Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Minutes Flat to Networked Video. Simply Superb., 6 July 2016
Simply superb. Really, I mean it.

If you take the trouble to look at my other reviews you will note that I bought a Sannce PoE camera system a few days before this one and sent it back two days later. I did so because the main function I wanted was to be able to view the camera stream over my network and no matter what I tried I simply could not get it to work. The instructions were contradictory and the setup simply arcane. And today there is no excuse for that.

So I then bought this on the back of a few good reviews and put simply it could not be more different. When I opened the box the instructions simply were two pages of paper, one stating that the UK - Manchester based supplier would be very happy to respond to any questions - which they are and in English and another showing how to plug this in with a couple of QR scans to set it up.

Really.

I immediately thought I would yet again be faced with vast amounts of internet trawling for information and once again finding myself so frustrated that I would throw it out of the window, but no a bit of it. This worked exactly as the instructions said, with easy to use software and zero IT knowledge required. On my bench which I was using to set it up I literally had all four cameras streaming across my network and available on line in less than ten minutes from opening the box. In fact I was both so delighted and so impressed I emailed the company to thank them for a painless installation and being an example of how to do something complicated in an easy way that works.

In terms of quality this is on a par with similar other items. Picture is fine, cameras are neat and small and all the cables are long enough to be useful. And for a couple of hundred quid your NVR even comes with a 1TB hard drive.

I do not think that for the money you can get a better designed and easier to use PoE networked CCTV.

Linksys X6200 Dual Band AC750 Gigabit Wireless ADSL/VDSL Wi-Fi Modem Router
Linksys X6200 Dual Band AC750 Gigabit Wireless ADSL/VDSL Wi-Fi Modem Router
Offered by White Horse Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed to Connect. And Yes - I Had the Correct BT Infinity Settings, 6 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well despite the best efforts of Linksys, BT, my wife and I this has failed to fly. It simply will not connect to the internet via my BT Infinity service.

Now, this is not an overreaction because I'm a bit of a nonce. Whilst not an IT guru I have some degree of knowledge as an engineer and my wife ran her own web design company. I also used the normal helpline that Linksys provide as well as the early user one that is given to those of us who have go these to review. The help on that line is clearly from an expert and the English perfect. The help was superb.

In theory all you need to do is connect this up, connect to it using the IP address and go through the quick setup. You will need to know what your provider password is and I am using BT so we get :

first name.second name @btbroadband.com or you might find that it is bthomehub@btbroadband.com. Take your pick. Most internet forums say it is bthomehum but when I contacted BT they said it was the former.

You will need to set it up so that it is PPPoE (BT told me it was PPP0A which is for ADSL not VDSL and is not an option when you tick the VDSL box on the setup)

Other settings are DSL and PTM. After selecting PTM it will reboot which takes a few minutes.

Choose VLAN

If you are using BT the VLAN ID is 101.

And that ladies and gentlemen should be it. Except it isn't. This unit simply would not connect to the internet and when I checked the status despite the setting being PPPoE which you need for VDSL it was firmly stuck at IPoE with no connection available.

The expert Linksys help guy was a bit stumped at the fact it would not change so he suggested we do a firmware update - which was also suggested by the bog basic help line people in India or other near Asian place.

So I downloaded the latest firmware update which was the same as the original release number but it might have corrected a corruption.

No such luck. No connection.

Now, just to make sure I wasn't missing something I also tried a TP Link modem router that I had bought a while back but had not fitted because I had been working away and simply hadn't got around to it. Well it took me all of ten minutes to get TP Link N600 working on the BT line using the same setting on the easy setup screen.

So, put simply I can't recommend this despite it being a freebie. It is almost certain that for whatever reason I have a duff unit and perhaps others will work well. However I can only report as I have seen and for me this simply did not work.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2016 4:43 PM BST