Profile for I'mARider > Reviews

CHERUB: Lone Wolf
CHERUB: Lone Wolf
Price: 5.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather Disappointing, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: CHERUB: Lone Wolf (Kindle Edition)
So, after a fantastic trilogy of books all following the same plotline, which introduced us to new characters and brought back some older characters we get this; a dire attempt at a follow up.

This book just feels utterly uninspired and desparate; Muchamore recycles a concept he used in the second book, a CHERUB agent trying to infiltrate a London drugs ring, while also incorporating a boring revenge storyline concerning one of the drug ring top dogs.

The book has potential, but after a boring, half-hearted final act and an explanation of what was really happening being played out over a few pages, with all "shocks" coming from a few internet articles our lead character reads, I was just left feeling rather disappointed.

This book just lacks everything that made CHERUB special: there's no humour, no edgy action, no interesting characters, no fun epilogue telling us what happened next, and just no good plot.

It all just feels a bit uninspired. The previous three books were brilliant, as were the others in the first series, but all the characters and plot devices used here simply don't work.

I look forward to the next book, and by all means do read this, but just don't expect that classic CHERUB tone and style you love; I don't know what went wrong for Muchamore, but it just isn't here.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck (Book 8)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck (Book 8)
Price: 5.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling Kindle version, 6 Nov 2013
The Kindle version is virtualy unreadable - the text is miniscule, and blends with pictures on many pages ruining both the pictures and the reading experience. I'm disgusted that I've been charged 5 for something that I simply cannot read. Please do not make the mistake I've made and buy this appalling version of what appears to be a good book. I'm extremely disappointed.

Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 8)
Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 8)
Price: 3.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Last Stand of Dead Men - The Book of the Film?, 5 Sep 2013
I feel really bad to be the first person to give a 3-star review. I honestly do. I bought the first SP book a few months after it came out back in 2007 to experiment with a new book. I loved it, and ever since I haven't been able to get enough of SP. The reason I loved that first book so much wasn't because of the story (which was brilliant, don't get me wrong there), but it was the characters I adored. The chemistry between Skulduggery and Valkyrie, the witty banter and humour, the emotion displayed in the later books, the complex and suprising storylines, the mindblowingly brilliant characters - this was all utterly brilliant. However I feel LSODM lacks some of those vital elements that us SP fans have grown to love.

With LSODM, while there was some great scenes, let's just say that the scales tip from pretty equal between "banter" and action to being pretty action dominant. The thing that depresses me most about this isn't that the action is bad - it's that all of the action in this book feels like it's been inspired by films; there are constant gun fights, a scene that feels extremely similar to one in a recent Marvel film, and just sequence after sequence that would be too perfect on the big screen.

Another thing that put me off was how long the book takes to reach its climax...and then how long it takes that climax to finish. Things started getting a but exciting by about page 450, and everything died down around page 580. It all felt like too much.

Also, the amount of gun use really shocked me. In practically every fight up building up to the end of the book (in fact, a sniper rifle has an important role in the final battle), there would be some sort of gun use. Whether it be a silenced pistol or a rifle, there would be something. I'm not one of those people who hates guns and thinks they're ghastly things (no pun intended), but this is a series based around magic. The ratio of gun to magic use was pretty much 1:1. It really disappointed me, and it's part of what made the early parts of the book just feel like an action movie.

Some of the characters are just a bit bland. The Monster Hunters particularly - they are predictable, and I'm not sure whether or not Landy deliberately made the interactions between them awkward. To be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if he did, but it just didn't work this time round. Some of it is funny and some of it made me laugh, but other parts just felt like a belated attempt at humorous conversation. Skulduggery's attitude to pretty much everything just felt different - he wasn't smart or snarky, he was just dark.

In terms of the storyline, I didn't feel too let down. It was classic Skulduggery Pleasant, with twists and turns and lots of. However there is a vital, important thing that happens near the end of the book. I'm not going to spoil it, but let's just say that it's what happens at the Temple of the Brides (you'll understand what I mean if you've read the book) - what happened here really impressed me and shocked me, but the way it was dealt with afterwards disappointed me a lot. It was almost as if it never happened.

Please, don't be put off buying the book after what I've said - there are probably far more people that adore the action and guns than people who might share my views. This isn't a bad book by any means, I think I just expected too much light-heartedness and originality from a series that is getting darker and darker and nearing its end. If you've loved all of the other SP books, you'll love this. Thank you for reading. :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2013 7:30 PM BST

The Fall of Five: Lorien Legacies Book 4 (Lorien Legacies 4)
The Fall of Five: Lorien Legacies Book 4 (Lorien Legacies 4)
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars It lacks direction, 30 Aug 2013
In previous books there have been big revelations, twists and other events. While there is no shortage of any of those qualities in Fall of Five, they just aren't used properly. Maybe it's because the book is a lot shorter, maybe it's just something wrong.

Call of Duty Black Ops II Signature Series Guide (Signature Series Guides)
Call of Duty Black Ops II Signature Series Guide (Signature Series Guides)
by BradyGames
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good and detailed, 26 Dec 2012
Very good, very detailed, plus help to get trophies. Now I've got to write more words to make this review postable :P

Camp David
Camp David
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the campness, this is Walliams with nothing to hide, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Camp David (Kindle Edition)
People will walk into this book expecting it to be be comic...and it is for the first half. However it was the later part of the autobiography that I found most intricate and emotional; Walliams openly talks about his battle with depression, failed relationships and how he built up his life to what it is today. As he very well said, "I was never going to write an autobiography, unless I wad completely honest". Well David, you were and it was compelling, emotional and fun.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified (PlayStation Vita)
Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified (PlayStation Vita)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 20.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but no effort at all, 1 Dec 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Like we've recently seen with EA's belated attempts at putting FIFA 13 on the Vita, it appears that Activision likewise have done nothing to make this game worthwhile. There is no visible effort put into this game at all, and it's full of bugs and coding errors. This isn't Black Ops 2, nor is it Black Ops; it's an attempt at merging the two into something "inbetween", and it's just failed horrifically. When I do actually manage to get onto MP, it is fun, but I'll get a host migration or a connection error and be booted out of the mini-lobby. The graphics are disappointing, though it's the Vita itself that you have to blame for that. If you're looking for a classic CoD, just ignore the Nintendo/Vita edition and stick with the mainstream ones.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2012 6:23 PM GMT

Call of Duty: Black Ops II [Standard edition] (PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II [Standard edition] (PS3)
Offered by Bargain Games UK
Price: 18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A lost cause, 25 Nov 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I've been trying to give this game the chance that it's needed over the last few months, but ultimately it's come down to this:
Call of Duty is a lost cause. It wasn't doing great before or after MW3 came out, and this game hasn't helped.

Look, this is a Call of Duty game. It does everything that Call of Duty has done for the last 10 years. But it isn't fun. It just isn't. It's hard to place the blame, to be honest;

*Treyarch have put a huge majority of their effort into Zombies - however when looking at the number of players online, the usual case is that Multiplayer will have around 350,000-400,000 players playing; Zombies will typically have around 20,000 players. They make huge maps, and Zombies always appears to be the centre-piece of their DLCs, but Treyarch need to look at the numbers.
*They've made Multiplayer fair. And, suprisingly, this is a bad thing. As a casual player (not a prestige-master junkie), I still like to have an aim to play towards. But there is no weapon or impressive attachment to work towards, apart from challenges (which I don't really care about) and the Diamond Camo. But any casual or new player won't give a damn about this stuff - I certainly don't. There's no "ultimate weapon" - the final SMG you unlock is abysmal, along with the shotguns and sniper rifles.
*The campaign isn't really "outlandish" or exciting - it's a campaign. It's full of cutscenes, and just feels really artificial.

It all falls down the the fact that this is Call of Duty. The pressure and expectations that have befallen the developers since CoD4 have been drastic, and this is the first CoD for years that I've felt has let me down. I just don't enjoy it.

People will see me criticizing the 1-star reviews, because they usually complain about lag etc. I myself never suffer from lag (though I do get the occasional host migration, but that's unaviodable). I don't have any problems with the servers or game mecanics - it just feels OLD.

The reason I'm giving this game 3-stars, over one or two stars, is because to any new player, this game will be enjoyable! It's not BAD, there aren't any in-game glitches or errors that are noticable. It's just not as fun to the rather more experienced players.

There's a certain sad feeling surrounding this game. The current "generation" of CoD has reached its end. The engine is old, and I think that's what's holding the game back. A few days prior to writing this review, I heard that Activision are developing a next-gen engine, which I look forward to greatly. I'm not going to go all OTT and say that this is the last CoD I'm gonna buy - it's not. I still have faith in Activision.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Nuketown 2025 Edition (PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Nuketown 2025 Edition (PS3)
Offered by eoutlet-uk
Price: 37.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant revamp of the series, 14 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The moment you put this game in your machine, you instantly notice how much effort's been put into making this COD the best instalment ever. The graphics are slick, the gameplay is incredible, and eveything is so well planned out. The campaign is bonkers - within the first few minutes you're thrown straight into an African battlefield. The MP is insane; it's been perfected beyond imagination, and Zombies...hmmm...Zombies is a bit of a disappointment. Only 3 survival maps, which are TINY. The only way to get classic Zombies gameplay is by going on TranZit mode, and even that's a bit wooden. I just hope more Zombies maps are to come!

For the last few hours (5pm-7pm, November 14th), I've been having connection issues. Not sure what that's about, but the servers don't seem very reliable ATM (Instead, I've been playing against Veteran bots armed with Ballistic Knives!). Overall, it's a great game though!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Platinum (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Platinum (PS3)
Offered by IDSS
Price: 7.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Not enough range :(, 23 Oct 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game for multiplayer - I buy all my games for the multiplayer - so if you're interested in the campaign I'd stop reading now. I bought this game and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360) in the wrong order and I got MW3 first; I wasn't disappointed. The MP was fun, neat and exciting. Then I reached prestige 10 or whatever on MW3 and decided to move on to this product to try something new(-ish). I was a bit put down:

* The maps don't really differ much from two different layouts - a scrapyard-type map with lots of obstacles & ruined cityscapes that really fail to provide the wanted action. Apart from that, there are 3 or 4 really fun maps, but that's it.

* The weapons aren't as good as those in Black Ops and MW3 - within their respective classes (Assault Rifles, Shotguns etc.) they fail to differ hugely with one or two exceptions.

* I know you can't really blame Infinity Ward for this totally, but my big issue is hackers. I often meet them in lobbies and sometimes it can be fun (you can do mega jumps and get unlimited ammo), but the rest of the time they'll be out there to ruin the game for you, like walking AC130s and being stuck prone without being able to get up.

It looks like IW have moved on a bit now from MW2, so if I were you buy MW3 or Black Ops 2 (people call MW3 a copy of MW2, yet they say MW2 is incredible, so why not buy MW3?!). Enjoy yourselfs whatever you play though!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3