Profile for Margaret > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Never Forget
Never Forget

2.0 out of 5 stars I beg to differ, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Never Forget (Kindle Edition)
I suspect, as with other first books, that many of the reviews have been posted by family & friends of the author who has had a reasonable, standard formula idea for a crime novel but not sufficient writing skill to execute it. It is 77 chapters of monotone narrative - (I did this... he did that), interspersed with dialogue - (he said .... they said....). I'm not quite sure how the chapter breaks have been determined as the narrative mostly continues unbroken from one to the next. For me, the use of slang throughout brought nothing to the party. The continual use of 'nick' in both the narrative & the dialogue, when referring to police stations, was particularly irritating and the use of derogatory descriptive terms for most of the characters just became tedious. By two thirds of the way through, so many characters' names had been thrown into the pot that a spread sheet to keep track might have been handy and the number of coincidences in the plot was starting to make me feel as though I had been hit over the head with a heavy object. I found that I had no desire to know who'd dunnit & could have walked away at any time. I did, however, get to the end because we had two consecutive, very wet days and because I had decided to write a review & thought that was only fair if I had actually read the whole book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2013 8:57 AM GMT

How to Keep Bees, Without Finding the Queen
How to Keep Bees, Without Finding the Queen
by Paul Mann

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 6 Nov. 2012
If there was ever a book that doesn't do what it says on the cover, this is it. I obtained it with a view to possibly being able to recommend it to novice beekeepers who struggle to find queens. What I would have expected from a book of this title is what observations and bee behaviour are likely to indicate a queenright colony and some variations on artificial swarming methods when the queen cannot be found (which actually wouldn't need much more than a pamphlet).
This book is 71 (expensive) pages of seemingly random bee topics from the author's family history to queen replacement, queen rearing and making mini nucs. Apart from explaining how to sieve out a queen when you do need to find her the only concession to those unable to find queens is to describe shook swarming as a method of swarm control. It then wanders off into EFB, making nuclei and incubating brood.
I will not be recommending this book to novices.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful where space is limited, 16 July 2012
I bought this as an occasional guest bed so that I don't have to keep a permanent bed in the spare room. It has just had its first guest, my 6'2" nephew. He has used it for a week & reported it to be very comfortable (he didn't emerge from it until 10.00 each morning) & although it lost a little air in that time he did not feel the need to pump it up at all. The bed inflates very quickly and the pump is also used to deflate it. I found it a bit tricky to get the last bit of air out of it but just left it overnight and it seeped out on its own. It was no problem to fold the bed up sufficiently small to get it back into the carrying bag. Although the bed is a very good size for a single bed this actually caused the only problem that I had with it - a standard single fitted sheet doesn't fit and it is almost impossible to find a fitted sheet that does fit. After much searching I did manage to find just one (on Amazon)which was a 100cm jersey fitted sheet. It wasn't brilliant as the elasticated edge did not sit neatly in one of the indentations, it rode up into the top indentation, making the sheet a bit of a loose fit. I will probably end up making one to fit out of a flat sheet. Overall though I think this bed is excellent and will have no qualms using it for my 83 year old mother when she next visits.

Olympus 10x25 WP II Binoculars - Black
Olympus 10x25 WP II Binoculars - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little all rounder, 26 Jun. 2012
I always have binoculars in my hand or pocket when I'm out & about. I use them for shepherding - checking on ewes lambing or cows calving without disturbing them, for observing activity at the entrances to my beehives from a safe distance, for birdwatching (I love to see birds but I'm not a serious birdwatcher) and generally looking at things when I'm out walking. I have previously had many pairs of cheap (£20 max) folding binns but having sold some old camera equipment for £110 I decided to treat myself to something better.
My requirements were :- 8 or 10x25, a folding design & good quality optics for up to £110. At £109 these Olympus binoculars fit the bill perfectly for my purposes. I have owned several Olympus compact cameras over the years & have always found the quality excellent so I had no hesitation when I found these binoculars.
They have a robust feeling, rubber exterior & the size, shape and weight when folded sits comfortably in one hand or a pocket (my hands are fairly small). The eyecups extend with one quick twist and cut out extraneous light quite effectively and the right eye adjustment stays put so I find them always correctly adjusted for my eyes. The focussing is very definite & the image clean & sharp. (from 10m away I can see the bees doing things that I wouldn't notice if I was standing right next to them) The lenscaps remove easily & the binoculars come in a good quality padded nylon case. The case does not have a strap, just a belt loop but I wouldn't use a strap anyway. The binoculars have a neckstrap that is a terrible fiddle to attach but once on it's on. Delivery time was also excellent. Ordered Thursday, arrived Saturday am with Super Saver delivery.

Tower 14922 6 L Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
Tower 14922 6 L Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good cooker - awful handle, 21 May 2011
I have been using pressure cookers for 45 years. I would happily give this one 5 stars for cooking - it seems to come up to pressure very quickly with very little hissing, spitting or loss of steam. The yellow pressure indicator is easy to see and pops up very obviously when pressure is reached. Having got used to a timer on my previous model (Tefal) I would like to have had one again. The thing I really don't like is the handle, which I think is a very bad design - it is impossible to pick up the base with one hand, even difficult when empty. It is much too wide at the end near the pan making it difficult to get a good grip, the handle is also very short & tapers very quickly so I find that my hand slides down the handle even when just tipping the pan with the base resting on a board to spoon out the contents. I thought that it may be because my hands are fairly small but my husband finds it just as awkward & he has pretty big hands. I was also surprised to read that no part of the cooker should be put in the dishwasher - a lot of my reason for buying a stainless steel one is so that I can put it in there. I probably will (only the base)so it remains to be seen whether or not that will cause a problem.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2011 6:43 PM BST

Tefal By Jamie Oliver Clipso P4110769 Pressure Cooker - 6 Litre
Tefal By Jamie Oliver Clipso P4110769 Pressure Cooker - 6 Litre
Offered by Southern Electric

2.0 out of 5 stars Plastic short lived, 28 April 2011
I have had the previous Jamie Oliver Clipso model for less than 4 years & the plastic control module has expired - a piece has broken off inside & there is a crack running across it. It has never been dropped & I have always removed it when putting the lid in the dishwasher. I can only assume that the heat has caused the plastic to become brittle. I have contacted Tefal who tell me that the part is now obsolete. I would expect £100 worth of pressure cooker to last longer than that - my old prestige lasted for 25 years or more!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 12:48 PM BST

Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
by Daniel Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars A n excellent read, 31 July 2010
I've made mediocre bread on & off over the years. I haven't tried any since buying this book but I am confident that I will be able to improve vastly on my previous efforts. Don't be put off by the small dimensions, this book is an excellent read - I wouldn't have expected a bread making book to make me laugh! It manages to put across the technical stuff in a way that is easy to understand and the passion & enthusiasm with which it is written is infectious. I'm really looking forward to a rainy day in autumn to have a go.

Starting with Bees
Starting with Bees
by Gordon Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for complete beginner, 23 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Starting with Bees (Paperback)
I bought this book when I was considering keeping bees & knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about the subject, not even the principle of a hive. I found it well structured with good explanations, diagrams & photographs & I understood everything as I went along. (I realised afterwards that it was edited by Katie Thear who, in my opinion, does some of the best poultry books.) Having since read a couple of other larger & more detailed books on the subject, such as Ted Hooper, I'm sure that I would have been somewhat confused if that's what I had started with. This book assumes no prior knowledge, introduces the subject in a logical order & goes into quite a lot of detail withoug getting too technical & offputting. I have loaned it to a couple of people who have no wish to keep bees but are interested in the subject & also to someone who is on my beekeeping course & was finding it hard to follow. They have also found it very comprehensive. If you're not sure about beekeeping, read this book first & you will have a pretty good idea whether it's for you or not.

Kenwood FP905 Multi Pro Food Processor 3 Litre, 900W (White)
Kenwood FP905 Multi Pro Food Processor 3 Litre, 900W (White)

4.0 out of 5 stars Jack of all trades, 31 Jan. 2009
This is my first actual food processor & as is the way with multi function machines it seems to do everything ok but nothing brilliantly.
The blade isn't a patch on my 30 year old Moulinex chopper which is still razor sharp after 3 decades of abuse. Don't be carried away by the on board storage. I threw the carousel straight in the bin (I couldn't think of any orher use for it) and bought a plastic box from the pound shop to keep all the bits in. I leave the machine permanently on the worktop with the large bowl and blade & use that for most things (pastry, crumble, shortbread, rissoles, meatballs). The only other bits I have used are the grating discs (great for rosti potatoes) & the mill. The box of bits lives in the cupboard underneath. The parts are easy to clean so I never put them in the dishwasher. I wash & dry them each time I use it & so it is already ready for use.

Kenwood DF520 Total Clean Deep Fryer 1.2KG White 2000w
Kenwood DF520 Total Clean Deep Fryer 1.2KG White 2000w

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to clean, 31 Jan. 2009
I bought this fryer because it is the only one I have found that takes apart to clean & from that point of view it is very good. However, the outside casing is too big to go in the (full size) dishwasher. Be a bit careful if you haven't got much worktop space because it is quite a big beast but the basket is pretty small compared with the size of the casing. Don't get carried away by the viewing window. I've never yet come across a fryer where you can see anything, anyway it's dark in there. It's easy enough just to lift the basket & open the lid.

Page: 1 | 2