Profile for Vikki > Reviews

Content by Vikki

Vikki

Page: 1 | 2
Magic Stars (Grey Wolf Book 1)
Magic Stars (Grey Wolf Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good look into Derek and Julie, 15 Dec. 2015
This is a great little read, it's a nice sneak peak as to what is going on behind the Kate and Curran storyline with other characters we love.

Julie is talking to Roland. I don't think it's going to end well!

Derek is killing things and is still very good at it.

You're just going to have to read it. It's damn good.

Revelation (Seven Signs Novels)
Revelation (Seven Signs Novels)
by Erica Hayes

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start to the series!, 26 Feb. 2013
First Line: 'Today, of all days. It was Thursday. The world couldn't end on a Thursday.'
Yup, that's where we start, with our sexy leading man discovering that the world as they know it may actually be ending. Of course, as an angel, Luniel (Lune) had always known this was possible. There's just one problem. Heaven was supposed to control the apocalypse...and by the looks of it, right now, that isn't happening. So it's up to Lune and his fellow Tainted's to figure out what the hell (pardon the pun) is going on and fix it.
Set in a future New York City, renamed Babylon (yes, I have issues with the name, but I won't go into them here), unbeknownst to mankind, fallen angels, and demons alike roam the earth. There are seven signs of the apocalypse and here at the start of Redemption, Lune has discovered sign number 2 - oceans drowning in blood. However, there are supposed to be seven guardians keeping the seven vials of holy wrath safe and having not received a memo from above that He has given the apocalypse the go ahead, Lune and his fellow Tainted's deduce that all is not well and hell is attempting to start the apocalypse before scheduled. On top of all this, Lune has a second pressing problem. He hasn't been able to contact his twin brother for nearly a week. Putting that with the fact that there are probably two dead guardian angels around the city somewhere, and Lune has a base for his search for answers. Which leads him straight into the path of a rather sexy junior pathologist named Morgan.
About to unknowingly conduct an autopsy on Lune's twin, Morgan is surprised to say the least when this drop dead gorgeous angel appears from no where. Refusing to believe it's all not just some prank or weird dream, Morgan uses her scientific background as a shield against the magnificent specimen that is Luniel. Only Morgan was involved up to her neck before she even met the handsome angel. She's been investigating the Manhattan virus that's been plaguing the city, turning it's residents into basically zombies with a taste for human flesh. What she doesn't know is that this virus was the first sign of the apocalypse, and now her research will be key in the Tainted's search for patient zero, and thereby the demon princes that have let loose these plagues on the city.

Now to our hero and heroine. I have no problems with Luniel. He is a pretty awesome hero as heroes go. Dark, sexy and damaged...my kind of man. BUT Morgan is a little different. Admittedly I have a problem generally with books where the two main characters are instantly attracted to one another. Sure in this case both of them are fighting it, but for two very different reasons. Lune's issue is a past horrific end to a relationship where his love got damned to hell for all eternity after being horrifically tortured in front of a chained Lune. Add to that the 800 years of self imposed celibacy and I can get why he's more than a little reluctant to jump feet first into a new relationship. However Morgan's problem seems to be herself. She's too much of a scientist to actually believe he's an angel, but she lets herself get caught up in the moment - and in one pretty steamy scene she was more than willing to go all the way, except Lune pulled back at the last second. Only then did she berate herself about how stupid it was. Rinse and repeat. It got repetitive to say the least. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason I just did not connect with Morgan the same way I did with Lune. Whether that's because I want Lune all for myself or not I don't know ;)

The premise of this book isn't exactly unheard of, however the way Erica Hayes goes about this makes it instantly more charming. Firstly, the secondary characters in the form of the band of Tainted's are absolutely fantastic. These men and women are warriors through and through, Dashiel, Trillium, Jadzia, Iria, Japheth and Luniel, they make one hell of a team. They have great chemistry and a lot of good natured teasing and fighting goes on...you know, warrior stuff. I'm a big fan of humour in my books and Revelation has just the right amount to offset the more gritty and serious aspects of the book, such as demons that are into pain, and certain Archangels who don't seem very Archangely...*cough* ..Michael ..*cough*. Speaking of the grittier aspects of the book, there are some scenes of violence that made me cringe a little. In some places they are used well to show exactly what they Tainted's are really up against, and to show Lune's loss of his last love some 800 years ago. However in others, I didn't think they were really necessary Not that it detracted from the book's appeal once I got over the initial shock, but some scenes, like when we first meet the all powerful Archangel Michael, took me a re-read to understand why it was wholly necessary.

The second reason this team of rogues charmed their way onto my bookshelf is because some of the most unexpected phrases are used by this band of unruly fallen angels. The one that literally had me in stitches, purely because of the way it was used was this one:

'Jesus Christ on a jelly sandwich. Lune tugged his hair, rough. Him and his bleeding heart. Michael would laugh his righteous blue ass off.'

And trust me, there are many more like that. It's that offbeat sense of humour that had me falling in love with these characters and Erica's writing style as a whole.The story is pretty damn interesting, though I have read similar things reasonably recently. To me Revelation is almost a blend of Larissa Ione's Lords of Deliverance series and J.R. Ward's Fallen Angels. There's some awesome fight scenes, some gritty violent stuff, steamy sex scenes and a beautiful topping of fresh humour. Where the series will take us next I don't know, but I can't wait to find out. I did have some misgivings to begin with, what with the violence and Morgan's almost unbelievable instant attraction to Lune, but all in all, Redemption is most definitely a very promising start to the series, and I will most definitely be keeping up with the Seven Signs series.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Widow's Web (Elemental Assassin Books)
Widow's Web (Elemental Assassin Books)
by Jennifer Estep

4.0 out of 5 stars Widow's Web, 20 Feb. 2013
First Line - 'Breaking into the building was easy. Too easy for an assassin like me.'
She's done it again. Jennifer Estep has managed to create an absolute masterpiece of Urban Fantasy, filled with action packed scenes, a good dollop of humour and topped off with a light dusting of romance. All in all, the perfect recipe for an amazing read.
Our lead throughout this series is Gin Blanco, assassin, elemental and chef extraodinaire. Up until she killed her arch enemy Mab Monroe a few months ago (back in book 5), Gin had been leading a fairly quiet life, a few assassin contracts and pro-bono jobs were fitted around her job at the Pork Pit, no one knew she was the renowned assassin known as the Spider...but now her identity has been leaked and everyone wants to either stare at, avoid or kill her. First Phillip Kincaid, who I think will be a major character for the foreseeable future, decidedly complicates Gin's life. And now, a new threat has blown into town. However she is unlike anything Gin has ever faced before...sure she wants Gin dead, but she also wants something more important to Gin than her own life...something she'll do anything to protect. Because Salina Dubois is here to win back her ex, she wants Gin's lover Owen...and won't stop until she has him, even if it means destroying everyone else in the process.
I looked at him, at his black hair, his violet eyes, his rough, rugged features that were so appealing to me. All these emotions roared up in my chest. All my love for him, all my caring, all my worry--and all my fear of losing him.
One of the great aspects of this series is that the villains keep getting better and better. Each new 'bad guy' Gin comes up against brings her a new challenge, tests her skills to the very limit...and always reveals more about this closed off assassin's character. And Salina is no exception, in fact, I'd say she is quite possibly the best villain in the series so far. No only does Salina test Gin as an physically, but her actions put Gin on an emotional roller-coaster...that has her questioning everything she knows about herself. Despite a pretty damn successful attempt on Gin's life and an awful secret revealed, Owen is determined to see the good in Salina, but sooner or later Gin has to make a choice. Kill Salina like she's promised, and possibly ruin her relationship with Owen, or do as Owen asks, and leave everyone she loves vulnerable to the psychotic b*tch. Can they come to a compromise, or will Salina get to them before they reach a decision...

Salina was Owen's first love way back when they were kids, but then she left Ashland and Owen never quite got over her loss. Now she's back and ready to pick back up with Owen, only there's one thing in her way. Gin. Owen loves Gin, and Gin loves Owen. They are perfect for each other, Owen is so good for Gin after the disaster that was her 'relationship' with Donovan Caine. Owen can understand Gin's past as an assassin and does not judge her for it (unlike Donovan Caine *spits* ). However, upon meeting Salina, Gin worries Salina is everything she's not...beautiful and refined, a real lady, someone Owen deserves. That is until the cold hearted b*tch is exposed for what she really is. A murdering psychopath, who gets off on repeatedly drowning people with her water magic. That eases her mind a little bit...until it comes to the question 'How do we deal with Salina?'
While Gin would almost certainly kick Salina's ass in an elemental battle, this war is fought mostly with words...Salina is able to manipulate Owen like a puppet on a string, lies mix with truth and although Owen stands up for Gin, he never exactly reassures her that it's over between him and Salina and that speaks louder than words and fuels Gin's insecurities...not that she'd ever show it ;)

One of my favourite quotes is:
Salina's smile widened. "Why, Gin, if I didn't know better, I would say it sounds like you're threatened by little ole me."
I snorted. "Hardly. I eat haughty, arrogant, manipulative, self-important b*tches like you for breakfast, sugar. And then I go back for seconds."

As soon as I read the blurb I'd had a bad feeling about this book. I love Gin and Owen so much that I couldn't bear anything to happen to them. Gin is constantly worrying about the strain on her and Owen's relationship Salina is causing. But still, I didn't expect what happens. I'm glad it has, because we get to see so much more from Gin. We don't just see her as an assassin, we see her as a woman in love. A woman in love who is seriously afraid that her man might love another woman more than her. Salina forces Gin to grow exponentially as a character and she surprises herself with how she deals with these situations. I thought Jennifer Estep done brilliantly when she re-introduced Donovan Caine into Gin's life (book 6), but this is a whole new level. And despite the fact there is a plan and several books left in the series, I can't help but wonder where we will be taken next. I certainly will be tuning in to find out :)

All in all, I loved WIDOW'S WEB. I cannot fault this book one bit. If you are a fan of the series you NEED WIDOW'S WEB. You will not regret picking up a copy. I finished this in one sitting, staying up until 4am with eyes watering constantly from the strain...but I could not make myself stop. I was drawn in to this war between two strong but completely different women...I never want to leave...Gin, can I come live with you?

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles)
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles)
by Marissa Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars New life for a classic fairytale., 10 Jan. 2013
First Line - 'The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle. Her knuckles ached from forcing the screwdriver into the joint as she struggled to loosen the screw one gritting twist after another.'
From line one you can tell this is no ordinary fairytale. And if you think this is going to be an exact copy of Cinderella...think again. Firstly, Cinder is a cyborg...a second class citizen in her world, as if having metal in her body makes her worth less than everyone else. Secondly, while there is still the wicked stepmother (Adri), one of her stepsisters (Peony) is actually quite nice, Pearl however is just like her mother and despises Cinder...despite the fact her skills as a mechanic are wildly sought after and bring steady income into the house. And finally, Cinder lives in a city called New Beijing, in a world that is wider than we have ever known. A race of beings living on the moon, called the Lunar, are just one of the new editions to our home world.
While not an apocalyptic dystopian novel, Cinder is set in the distant future where a plague (letumosis/blue fever) has been ravishing mankind. It's already taken Cinder's adoptive father leaving her to face his widow and daughters alone. Then her only ally in the household, Peony, is also struck down by the disease. It can strike anyone at any time...including the King of New Beijing. Letumosis has no known survivors.

Adri had always hated Cinder, believing that if her husband hadn't gone to Europe to adopt Cinder, he would never have caught letumosis and would still be alive today. And after her daughter Peony contracts the disease too, Adri decides to get rid of the 'useless cyborg' who's been plaguing her life for years...and in the ultimate act of cruelty and betrayal, Adri volunteers Cinder to test the newest vaccine against Letumosis. Cinder has no choice in the matter because Adri is her legal guardian so despite the fact that Cinder refuses to test the vaccine there is nothing she can do...and no cyborg has ever survived the testing phase. And that's all I'm telling you about that...too many spoilers lay ahead...you'll just have to read CINDER and find out for yourselves ;).

Why is Cinder a cyborg and not fully human do I hear you ask? Well, there was an accident...at least that's what Cinder's been told. She can't actually remember. All she knows is that one day she woke up with a metal hand and metal leg, along with some sort of programming wired into her brain that can tell when people are lying and get her just about any information she wants.
Cinder is just an awesome main character, she recognises and deals with her awful family dynamic maturely despite the often harsh treatment from her Stepmother and Pearl. The closest person to her was her sister Peony, but when the disease steals Peony from Cinder...she's left with no-one. That is until Prince Kai steps on the scene. He'd turned up at her stall looking for the famous Linh Cinder...the mechanic who can fix anything. Expecting some old dude covered in grease, you can imagine his surprise when he meets the real Cinder. It sort of spirals from there and includes an android with royal secrets as well as a possible cure for the fatal letumosis disease. All the while Cinder has to hide her true nature from Kai, for fear he'll be as disgusted by her as her family is. But Cinder's family troubles are only just beginning, there are many revelations for Cinder in this. She finds out who and what she really is...the things from before the accident that she can't remember, and reason why her mad scientist friend insists she hide from the visiting Lunar Queen. It's all very exciting and left me on tenterhooks for the next one in the series :)

Marissa Meyer has breathed new life into this classic fairytale, taking us on an exciting journey of love, war, and impossible choices. I'd recommend it to anyone who has a love of fairytale and dystopian novels. Heck, I'd just recommend it to anyone :D

My Rating 4.5/5

Questing Beast
Questing Beast

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on them., 30 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Questing Beast (Kindle Edition)
This work is offered for free on the author's website. Shame on whoever is charging people for this Author's hard work. How dare you!

Dark Light of Day (Noon Onyx Novel)
Dark Light of Day (Noon Onyx Novel)
by Jill Archer

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Light of Day by Jill Archer, 29 Oct. 2012
Review:
First Line: 'The wind whipping across my face made it feel like I'd just scrubbed with camphor and bits of glass.'
Dark Light of Day is set in the country of Halja, and it was here that the war between Lucifer's army and the Saviour's army was fought. Only this time...good didn't win. But it has been 2,000 years since that fateful battle has fought and the people of Halja have moved on and leant to live with the demon next door. I find this concept fascinating, I honestly don't think I've ever read anything where the war is over and the evil side won...end of. That's what drew me to this book in the first place. The concept brilliant and the world building that Jill Archer uses is amazing, the powers of those with Waxing and Waning magic (which if I tried to describe would probably just confuse people but in context to the book, works really well) are amazingly detailed and just bring the whole book into another level of reality. I have to say that I didn't really get much of a sense of time, as in due to the vast differences between their world and ours...the magic...the names for things...I couldn't really pinpoint a time in out history where this setting would fit. And I like that, discovering an entirely new way of thinking and order is pretty cool for me so I enjoyed just learning the world Noon and others like her inhabit.

This new and fantasy world while taking some time to get to grips with, never smothered me. It's one this I absolutely hate in a book when you can't just enjoy yourself because you have to keep stopping to connect the dots or flick back to some obscure reference 30 pages earlier to understand the part you just read. That seriously short circuits my temper, thankfully Jill Archer never triggered my famous annoyance :) DARK LIGHT OF DAY was just fun and enjoyable read to sink straight into!

So we've fast forwarded 2,000 years from the war, and meet Nouiomo Onyx, a 21 year old girl just about to start her first day at St Lucifer's academy. There's only one problem...Noon has Waning magic, and she's a girl. It's not really heard of in Halja so needless to say Noon feels like a freak. So much so that she is debating whether or not to declare her magic at the academy. There's one tiny problem though. If Noon does not declare her magic by a certain day of her 21st year...she can be put to death. I don't think Noon has ever really accepted who she is or the power her magic gives her. Her Waning magic causes death and destruction all around her, she can't walk into a garden without all the plant life dying before her eyes. Noon would give anything to have healing (Waxing) magic, like her mother and Night (her twin brother) but instead she's stuck with her father's legacy...and Noon will do all she can to alter her destiny.

While I generally liked Noon's character she does make some idiotic decisions ..mostly because she can't accept who she is. Noon's insistence that she would never fit in, never be looked upon as anything less than a freak leads to some horrible decision making but for the most part I did enjoy her character. Especially after she meets Ari. Earlier in the book we meet an Angel called Peter, who has lived next door to Noon for years, and I thought he would be the main romantic interest. However Peter appears to never really have accepted Noon as the woman she is. He is insistent on finding a spell to give Noon the Waxing (healing) magic she always believed she should have. Ari however, takes Noon for who she is, and I think his acceptance makes Noon believe in herself and her magic more than she ever has before. And I enjoyed watching Noon have mini revelations over the course of the book.

DARK LIGHT OF DAY is more along the adult lines...because yes, there is sex involved while not the most explicit sex scenes I've ever read, detail is there ;) though I imagine teens who are sort of getting used to the more adult content of some books would find it ok.

All in all, I think DARK LIGHT OF DAY is a new and interesting concept, I liked the characters and loved the world building. I certainly think I will be keeping a close eye on this series as it develops.

My Rating: 3.5/5

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, Book 1)
The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, Book 1)
by Julie Kagawa

5.0 out of 5 stars The Immortal Rules, 7 Aug. 2012
First Line: 'They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.'
The age old line "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" has never been more pertinent. Set in a future where vampires reign supreme and humans little more than food THE IMMORTAL RULES has a setting that truly seems bleak for mankind. A virus has wiped out the vast majority of the human population, and has forced the vampires into the open...to prey on what is left of mankind.
In order to survive, every human must tie themselves to the vampire ruler of the city, providing blood at regular intervals to feed the city's vamps. It's either that...or starve. Unregistered humans have no access to food, shelter or safety. Allie Sekemoto is one of these humans. At least until a failed scavenge for food ends with her dying alone from a rabid attack...that is until a vampire makes her an offer. Die here and now...or become the thing she despises and live to see another day (figuratively speaking). Allie chooses life, only she can't go back to how she was...she can never go back. Master vampire and her maker Kanin trains Allie in the 'art' of being a vampire...that is until Allie foolishly breaks Kanin's number 1 rule. Do not contact people from your human life. This costs Allie and Kanin the security they had built for themselves, and they have to split up and run...Kanin is the distraction while Allie runs from the city, never to see Kanin again.
Allie is now on the run, outside the relative safety of the city and is stalked by the rabids (creatures that were once vampires...until someone injected them with the Red Lung virus that wiped out humanity). Struggling to control the bloodlust raging inside, Allie attacks a gang of raiders. Continuing to wander she stumbles across a troop of humans looking for Eden. Jeb and Zeke lead the rag-tag bunch across the country...looking for a mythical place where humans are safe from vampires and rabids. Allie decides to help them any way she can. But death stalks this band of humans...and before she knows it, the violence Allie is trying to hide, maybe the very thing needed to save herself and those she loves.

Our heroine is Allie, although young in years, everything she has had to do to survive has aged her soul. Now as a vampire Allie wonders if she can deny everything in her new vampire nature in order to maintain her life as it was. Kanin has other ideas. Kanin is Allie's maker, and he is determined to make Allie the best vampire she can be. This includes sword training (who wouldn't want their own katana?!) and ventures into the worst parts of the city to force Allie to defend herself and face her lust for blood. Allie is a strong heroine, but in a moment of weakness she reaches out to a member of her old gang. A kid who owed her everything - that she looked out for. However as soon as he realises what Allie has become, he runs screaming and alerting everyone to a vampire in their midst. Even those who knew her can't see beyond the fact Allie is a vampire. To them she's pure evil.
Allie wants to be different, she refuses to victimise and kill people in order to feed. That may have worked in the city, but it's a whole new ball game out in the world. It's very interesting to watch Allie come to terms with who and what she is. She's adaptable and although not always likable, you have to admire her inner strength. After fleeing the city Allie struggles to survive. Rarely finding shelter she's forced to bury herself alive to protect her from the sunlight and only running across animals and rabids, she is unable to feed. She begins to feel the madness of bloodlust and then her vampire nature comes out to play. Gorging herself on raiders who thought to take advantage of the 'harmless teenage girl' wandering alone, Allie rationalises what she's done as self defence. But is it? This is almost the turning point for Allie. She sees what she can do when she denies her vampire nature...so acceptance for feeding without killing is the lesser of the two evils. Allie's double sided nature starts to work in harmony, making her human qualities stronger and becoming a better adjusted vampire.
Allie has a love interest in the form of leaders son, Zeke. He's everything she can't have as a vampire and fighting the urge to sink her fangs into his neck is as hard as fighting the urge to kiss him. But Kanin is invading her dreams, and he's in trouble. Captured fleeing the city, Kanin is being tortured for the knowledge he holds and now Allie has a decision to make. Stay with Zeke or fight to save Kanin. Choices, choices.

THE IMMORTAL RULES is a fabulous addition to the genre with a kick-ass, smart-mouthed, stubborn heroine. My type of girl ;)
I highly recommend giving this a read, the world is amazingly detailed and Allie is a superbly written character. I'll definitely be reading book 2 :) you should too!

My Rating: 4/5

Lente Designs® Amazon Kindle cover / case in beautiful 'Tutti Frutti' design. Compatible with the basic Kindle

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely :), 11 Jun. 2012
I bought this case because I loved the design, I also bought it for a Kindle Touch, praying that it would fit. It isn't an exact fit...there's about 1cm of Kindle that sticks out of the top at the back, though strangely not the front. Everything important is well protected and the case is so vibrant and feels so nice that I couldn't part with it despite the awkward fit.

I think it's a beautiful product and would recommend it to anyone - though perhaps not for the Kindle Touch.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2013 10:14 PM BST

Dark Frost (Mythos Academy)
Dark Frost (Mythos Academy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Frost, 9 Jun. 2012
First Line - '"If you guys don't stop making out, I'm going to be sick." Daphne Cruz laid another loud, smacking kiss on her boyfriend Carson Callahan. Princess pink sparks of magic shot off my best friend's fingertips and flickered in the air around the couple, the tiny rainbows of colour almost as bright as Carsons flaming cheeks.'
Gwen Frost is a Gypsy. A Gypsy with the rare gift of psychometry or 'touch magic', magic that gives her the ability to read the memories and emotions tied to any object or person she touches. Since her mother's murder a year ago, Gwen has attended the elite Mythos Academy, a school for those gifted with magic in all its forms. The Spartans, Valkyries, Amazons and many more attend to learn how to fight...for the magical community has it's enemies. The Reapers of Chaos are followers of the evil Norse god Loki and they are determined to free him from his prison so he can once again terrorise the world with Chaos. These Reapers are the ones responsible for Gwen's mothers murder...and now they hunt her.
Gwen's mother hid a powerful artefact during her time at Mythos Academy. An artefact the Reapers need to find at any cost because it's the key to freeing Loki from his prison. After an attack at the museum Gwen and her classmates were attending, Gwen finds out that the dagger may be hidden inside Mythos Academy itself, if she's going to find it, she's going to have to trust in her instincts and her touch magic...but Gwen sees secrets when she uses it...secrets people don't want her to know. But if the Reapers find the Helheim Dagger before Gwen and her friends at Mythos do, The God of Chaos will be unleashed into the world once more.

I've got a confession to make...I haven't read books one and two in this series *gasps*. I know, I know...silly of me really but to be honest, it wasn't that hard to catch up so I guess you could read this like I did. However I'm fairly certain it spoils books one and two, so I'd advise reading those ones first. Either way I'm definitely going back and buying the earlier books, they'll be good if DARK FROST is anything to go by.
Right, so our heroine is Gwen Frost, a Gypsy with the power of Psychometry (she can read emotions and memories from anything she touches). She also has an awesome sword named Vic. Vic talks. Vic talks a lot...mainly about killing and maiming but other things too. He's actually quite funny for a sword, his quips has me giggling. When they interact it almost always had me laughing...why can't I have a talking sword *sulks*.
Young Gwen has the weight of the world on her shoulders as only she can find this dagger everyone is searching for. Even though she's the Goddess Nike's champion, it's a lot of responsibility for a teenager. Not only that but her quest is putting those she loves in danger. The attack on the museum and the death of many of her classmates brings home the stark reality of what Gwen has to do...and she's not sure she's cut out for this.

Not only that, but Gwen's friends are having problems of their own...sometimes causing Gwen to think she has no-one she can rely on. Daphne's skill emerges but she has trouble adjusting, and when Gwen tries to help, she's accused of sticking her nose in to other people's business like she always does, and that she won't allow people to have secrets. This cuts Gwen to the very core, and when the same phrase is used by Logan because Gwen accidently uncovered a painful memory from his past, she feels cut off from her friends and abandoned in her time of need.
However a familiar face brings Gwen comfort when she needs it most. From what I understand, previously Gwen had rescued a Fenir Wolf from the hands of the reapers that had been torturing her. Now the wolf (named Nott) has come back to Gwen. They're able to have a sort of communication through Gwen's psychometry and Gwen discovers Nott is eating for two...and wishes to stay with her. Which naturally causes Vic apoplexy :) Can't argue with the fact that she's an amazing guard though...despite being 'the size of a house'!

Gwen is tested both physically and emotionally in DARK FROST. The lives of her friends, her classmates and her Grandma are constantly on the line...the escape of one of Gwens most hated enemies from they Mythos prison puts everyone on high alert...and sooner or later, Gwen knows she'll have to come face to face with the Reaper who murdered her mother.

DARK FROST is a great YA book, there's laughter, there's tears. Jennifer Estep's writing here kept me hooked from the word go, and the end! Oh the end, it was one of those where I'm turning the book over and going 'WHAT! No, that can't be it! I need to know now!!' Don't get me wrong, it's a fabulous ending but I just can't wait to see what happens to Gwen and the folks at Mythos next!

Just One Drop, Book 3 in the Grey Wolves Series
Just One Drop, Book 3 in the Grey Wolves Series

4.0 out of 5 stars Just One Drop, 9 Jun. 2012
First line: '"Jen you are not going back to the States so stop trying to pack your damn clothes," Sally growled.She intercepted Jen and snatched the pants she was carrying to an open suitcase, which lay haphazardly across the four poster bed. Jen steadily ignored her and did an about face to the closet to grab some more clothes.'
Ok, as you can see at the start of this book, Jen is attempting to pack her bags and jet back to the US. Where is she you ask? Well, Jen would be in Romania. Living with a wolf pack. Yes you did read that right, our Jen is living with a werewolf pack. Previously in the series, Jen had discovered she had a tiny amount of werewolf blood running through her veins, making her a dormant wolf. She should stay with her two best freinds, Sally and Jacque but a certain fur ball is causing Jen to want to run back home. The fur ball (Jen's words not mine) is named Decebel and he is the pack's Beta, but only out of choice...the damn man is dominant enough to be Alpha of his own pack should he wish. Anyway, Jen and Decebel have had sparks before in the series (though the previous novels have been about Jacque and her mate Fane) but said fur ball has run off with his tail between his legs because his wolf is not showing any signs of wanting to mate with Jen. It's been 62 days 4 hours and 22 minutes since Jen last saw Decebel and she's sick of waiting for him to show up at her door. However, when Jen's tries to leave, who should turn up but Decebel, and that's where things get interesting :)

I adored JUST ONE DROP, Jen is just hilarious. I mean Decebel is about the most dominant, manly wolf man you will ever meet and she calls him 'the fur ball'. Jen's mouth just keeps getting her into trouble, as does her spontaneous attitude. Put that together with two equally humerous sidekicks and a tightly wound alpha wolf and you're ready to have yourself a party. Quinn Loftis has written this brilliantly, we all know I love a good dose of humour in anything I read and JUST ONE DROP has that in spades :)
JUST ONE DROP is set in Romania and for the most part Jen and her two besties as well as Decebel, pack leader Vasile (whom I just adore) and a few other pack wolves are attending The Gathering. This is an old tradition amongst wolf packs revived for the 21st centuary. Due to wolves only having their one true mate, and with population numbers dwindling, the Alphas of 4 packs decide to bring back an old tradition, that is basically speed dating for wolves. All the unmated females and males of the packs gather together in one place in the hope of finding mates among the other packs. However, when you add Jen and her panchant for trouble to a highly strung, territorial alpha wolf and several sex-crazed young male wolves there's going to be bloodshed. Decebel is still trying to fathom his feelings for Jen and her natural talent for pissing him off makes for one hilarious and enthralling novel. Add to this a conspiracy to murder my darling Vasile and his mate to gain control of the pack and you have the recipe for one awesome read!
As well as keeping up with Jen and Decebel, we are also able to see how Jacque and Fane are progressing since their mating. They can speak mind to mind like all mated pairs, and I have to say that some of what Fane says makes me go all mushy and wish that I could find a real live Fane. Anyway, it's good to see what they are getting up to, I just want to see more of Alpha Vasile to be honest...he's even more dominant than Decebel, meaning he could kick serious ass :) He's the strongest Alpha in living memory and his mate Alina is so sweet...I don't hate her at all...nope ;)

All in all, JUST ONE DROP is one of the funniest new books I've read in a while. While it did take me a while to get used to the American slang Jen and her friends used it was comforting to know that none of the Romanian wolves knew what they were saying either :)
I loved every minute and will definitely be keeping my eye on Quinn Loftis and the Grey Wolves Series for the foreseeable future :)

Page: 1 | 2