Profile for Jojo Allen > Reviews

Three Chords Good
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great!, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Three Chords Good (Audio CD)
I'm a big GP fan, especially his work with The Rumour.
I even have the albums the band released independent of Parker and think they're brilliant.
I also have the albums GP recorded with various other bands and groups of musicians over the years but always sorely missed The Rumour's sound and power, particularly Brinsley Schwartz's signature guitar work.
I'm pleased to see them back together but, sadly, I don't hear much that clearly defines this as a GP and The Rumour album, nor does it provide anywhere near the individuality or emotional impact that their others did and still do to this day.
I know that was over 30 years ago but a reunion like this should happen for a reason besides just the guest slot Judd Apatow gave them (as a 'has been' group trying to make a comeback - art imitates life?) in his new film.
Three Chords Good is a good album, but probably not one I would return to before Squeezing Out Sparks or Stick To Me.
By the way, although I didn't take off any stars because of it, but the new album cover is absolutely dreadful!!!

Nicki Minaj: The Woman Who Stole the World
Nicki Minaj: The Woman Who Stole the World
by Lynette Holloway
Price: 7.63

3.0 out of 5 stars BOOK? MORE LIKE A BROCHURE!, 8 Dec 2012
Three stars because I'm pretty sure the teenaged girl I bought it for will love it, but, at 118 pages, it's a pretty slight volume for the price.

Modern Family - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Modern Family - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ed O'Neill
Price: 19.75

5.0 out of 5 stars EXTRAS???, 6 Dec 2012
Love the show. Wanna buy it.
But are there any extras in this package or is it cheaper because it only contains the episodes?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2012 2:00 PM GMT

Cosmopolis [DVD]
Cosmopolis [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Pattinson
Price: 6.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Stylishly vacant!, 15 Nov 2012
This review is from: Cosmopolis [DVD] (DVD)
Watching this film is like sitting in the back of a limo with a male model who's on valium and waiting for something to happen.
An unrewarding chore, frankly.
I gave it 2 stars for some nice cinematography, but it's not enough for me to recommend anyone give up 105 minutes (yes, I counted them) of their life.

Ali [DVD] [2002]
Ali [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Jamie Foxx
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 3.15

2.0 out of 5 stars Ali, the greatest - the film, not so much!, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Ali [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I bought this DVD because it was cheap - 1.27, inc shipping - so I was not all that disappointed in what I recv'd.
It's an OK film and there's a bonus disc with a Making Of featurette and a behind the scenes bit too.
My biggest problem was that Will Smith is too recognizable an actor to portray such an iconic figure.
He doesn't disappear into the role and make you believe you're watching Ali, like, for example, Jamie Foxx did in Ray.
He had Ali's voice down pretty well but I could never get past it being Will Smith.
If you're curious and can get a copy as cheaply as I did, go for it.

Life Is People
Life Is People
Price: 10.98

1.0 out of 5 stars REALLY?!? I DON'T GET IT AT ALL!, 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: Life Is People (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of Bill Fay, but bought this CD on the strength of the reviews I read, thinking I must have really missed something here, especially in light of all the Dylan and Cohen comparisons.
I even got Time Of The Last Persecution at the same time, so I could go back to his last work after hearing his new one.
After attempting to listen to it a couple of times and giving up, I found Life Is People to be tuneless, lyrically pedestrian and, overall, pretty boring.
Definitely another one of those so called 'album of of the year' contenders whose appeal escapes me, even though it seems to have been anxiously anticipated, rapturously welcomed and glowingly well received by fans and music journalists alike.
I haven't even bothered to take the shrink wrap off the older CD yet.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2013 12:33 AM GMT

Everyone Loves You When You're Dead: (and Other Things I Learned from Famous People)
by Neil Strauss
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a review...a caution!, 25 Sep 2012
Sorry I can't actually review the book but I thought it might be useful for some of you to know that I bought this book thinking it was the regular sized paperback they sell in stores.
What I got instead is a large copy every bit as big as a hardback.
This occurred once before with Stephen King's '11.22.63'.
I travel and can't pack books this size.
(PLEASE don't reply and advise me to get a Kindle. It's never gonna happen.)
I will have to return this one and, I suppose, pay a little more instore so I at least know what I'm getting.
The stars that are missing are because Amazon does such a lousy job with their item descriptions.
They can be way too general.
Bought a book recently and recv'd a copy of the audiobook instead because it was not clearly stated and all the reviews listed were for the actual book.
Waste's alot of time having to return things.

Marley [DVD] [2012]
Marley [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Bob Marley
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars WAITING (NOT TOTALLY) IN VAIN..., 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: Marley [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I love Bob Marley and was anxiously waiting for this release.
I enjoyed watching it, but the star that is missing is for the intangible element I thought was missing from the film.
It was long, informative, wonderfully shot and edited, but there was something lacking that I can't put my finger on.
Maybe it was the way the director kept hinting at the man's less than saintly qualities but pulling back before getting too far into such a touchy area.
Or, maybe it was the way it skirted around the music in a few places where I thought it could have gone deeper.
I honestly don't know.
I gave it 4 stars because it's about time this artist's story was comprehensively told on film, exposing his talent to a wider audience.
Even posthumously will do.
It certainly made me want to watch whatever concert footage I have again.
Maybe that was the point.
Anyway, good film, but not the moving experience I thought it might be.

Bob Marley: Freedom Road [DVD]
Bob Marley: Freedom Road [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bob Marley
Offered by videosanddvds
Price: 2.89

3.0 out of 5 stars REALLY? THAT'S IT???, 30 Aug 2012
I will come back and review the content of this DVD in a day or so but thought it was worth mentioning (since the listing doesn't) that I was surprised by it's brief 54 minute length and no extras.
After having recently watched the 2 hour and 20 minute theatrically released 'Marley', which, truthfully, I found a bit clinical and not a very personal look at the man or his music, I was and still am hoping that when Amazon says this new documentary 'tells his story as you've never seen it before' they don't just mean 'quickly'.
I'll be back.

Songs Of Freedom
Songs Of Freedom
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 40.09

5.0 out of 5 stars This version or the 2007 one?, 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: Songs Of Freedom (Audio CD)
I bought the first release of this great boxed set in 1992.
It's still almost twice as expensive as the newer version, even thought the latter includes a 5th concert DVD disc.
Can anybody tell me if there is any quality difference in the recorded music between the '92 and '07 releases?
It doesn't say the newer one is remastered.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16