Profile for Elizabeth S. Wells > Reviews

Content by Elizabeth S. Wells

Elizabeth S. Wells (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dear and Glorious Physician
Dear and Glorious Physician
by Taylor Caldwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly rated, 22 Jan 2014
Bought on behalf of a friend, at her request. What I know of this book is, it is fact/fiction in the same genre as Ben Hur, and The Robe. Tells the story of Luke, and his travels with Paul, and it was highly rated by my friend.

Pharaohs and Kings: A Biblical Quest
Pharaohs and Kings: A Biblical Quest
by David Rohl

5.0 out of 5 stars A credible new Chronology which takes the veracity of the Biblical Texts into full acount., 22 Jan 2014
I feel privileged to have this excellent book in my hands. David Rohl is a respected archaeologist, who is taking the Biblical Texts seriously, and proposing a new Chronology, authentic and scientifically based, which gives a basis for the timing of Joseph in Egypt, and the Exodus, to name but two. His work has been covered in a series of television programmes, some years ago. A book to value.

Morphy Richards 48245 & 48248 Breadmaker Baking Pan
Morphy Richards 48245 & 48248 Breadmaker Baking Pan
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like having a new Breadmaker - excellent replacement baking pan, 22 Jan 2014
It really is like having a new bread maker (I have had mine many years, with a lot of use). The pan fits perfectly, and I am delighted with a bread maker that is working like new, after parts on the pan were wearing out.

Lloytron Compact AA/AAA Plus PP3 Battery Charger
Lloytron Compact AA/AAA Plus PP3 Battery Charger
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Very adaptable good quality charger, 22 Jan 2014
I am delighted with this. Not only can I charge AA or AAA batteries, but the actual charger is very good quality, which you need with anything electrical.

Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing
Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing
by Sally Lloyd-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A book a child will treasure for a lifetime - adults too., 14 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A child will treasure this book for a lifetime. Adults will be able to enjoy to the full, too.

I love the fact that the author does not hesitate to introduce the deeper and more serious elements of Christian faith to - the book is aimed at 6-9 year olds. The good news about finding salvation at the hands of a loving God, through Jesus Christ, is found throughout.

Facing pages comprise a picture, a short piece, and a Bible verse. The pieces are quotations from classical to modern Christian writing and other relevant writing, with a list of sources at the back.

The illustrations though darker in tone than I would have thought would be attractive to children, are of such a quality, that older children, right up to adults would read and treasure this book.

Would I buy it for a child? It would depend on the child - but - yes, at the upper range of the suggested readership, I would.

The Really Useful eLearning Instruction Manual: Your toolkit for putting elearning into practice
by Charles Jennings

5.0 out of 5 stars How to use the Internet as a Learning Tool to the optimum., 1 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Elearning could be partially defined at an individual level, quite simply, as "Going on to the Internet to acquire just that piece of information which will provide an answer to a specific part of a problem, needed at one moment in time".

Like many people, I have got into the habit of doing this as I work, to find out what I don`t know. I didn't know I was "elearning". However, expand this concept and you quickly arrive at "course-length" learning over the Internet.

Hence the precise and informed definition given by Clive Shepherd, one of the contributors, at the beginning of this book: "Elearning is when we use computers and the networks to which these are linked, to, in some way, support the learning process".

This book will take you far beyond the satisfying of a momentary query by "Googling" a question, to the setting up of online education systems at a complex and advanced level, including expert advice on how to avoid the pitfalls to be encountered.

I recommend this book, right across the spectrum, from individuals Googling questions, right through to the providers of the answers to those questions.

Fractals: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Fractals: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Kenneth Falconer

5.0 out of 5 stars A good insight into a very new branch of visual mathematics, 30 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We are all more familiar with "fractals" than we know - the repetitive, diminishing leaf patterns in ferns and branches of trees, reducing down to a multitude of fine twigs, to name just two.

When I first heard these kinds of natural patterns identified as fractals and looked it up on the Internet, it was quite a discovery. These endlessly repeating shapes fascinated me, as they reduced in size, yet retained their same patterns. I was delighted with animations of these "worlds within worlds" of increasingly microscopic self-replicating patterns.

I did not know the significance of the names given to them and wanted very much, to know more. Hence my interest in this 132 page book in the "A short Introduction" series, published by the Oxford University Press, which include clear accounts of why and how these names for various patterns arose, with short biographies of the discoverers.

I have already met this series, when reading up "Anglicanism". This was an excellent book, giving a brilliant and accurate summary. This little book does the same service for Fractals - both history, and the progression of this study of patterns, to this present day.

I think you would have to be very un-mathematically minded not to be excited by this book's account of a branch of mathematics, which only really came into being in the late 1960's, and gave rise to the possibility of a description of our seemingly random coast line, for instance in terms endlessly beautiful fractals.

Again, I am delighted to have this book in my hands, and hope more people discover this visually exciting branch of mathematics.

Microsoft Works 8
Microsoft Works 8

5.0 out of 5 stars I use Works word processor, far more often than ..., 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Works 8 (CD-ROM)
I use Works word processor, far more often than Word, and can do far more on it - things that are simple and "near at hand" on Works, I have to hunt for, with the clear possibility of never finding, on Word. The young man who rescues my computer every so often, says Works is his preference.

Facebook and Twitter for Seniors For Dummies
Facebook and Twitter for Seniors For Dummies
by Marsha Collier

5.0 out of 5 stars If by Dummies, in this case, they mean ..., 26 Nov 2013
If by Dummies, in this case, they mean "over 50's" then that's me! This book gives a clear overview and "working intructions on Facebook and Twitter, and though not essential, does open up the "vistas" of social media on the "interwebby thing".

Anglicanism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Anglicanism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Mark Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly concentrated, this book covers the history and current ..., 26 Nov 2013
Highly concentrated, this book covers the history and current structure of the Church of England. As someone from a Free Church background, having made their home within Anglicanism, this book is invaluable in telling me about the Church I belong to. One of those books I wish I had had to hand years ago.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20