Profile for rainbowgirl > Reviews

rainbowgirl

The Mystery of the Fool and the Vanisher
The Mystery of the Fool and the Vanisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious and Magical, 12 Sep 2013
This is just the most fascinating tale, with the most extraordinary illustrations, ever! The sense of mystery remains long after the book has been put down and, like another reviewer, I read it in a single sitting. Fact or fiction? I have no idea, but it is definitely a work of genius ( and the cover is stunning - worth the price for that alone!)

Fairie-ality Style: A Sourcebook of Inspirations from Nature
Fairie-ality Style: A Sourcebook of Inspirations from Nature

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly beautiful and inspiring, 12 Sep 2013
if you love beauty, design, colour, inspiration (and a generous dose of quirkiness) then this is the book for you!

The colours and patterns found in Nature, in different seasons and spaces (gardens, woods, streams, seashore) are stunningly photographed by the amazing David Ellwand, and then translated into the richest, most beautiful colour swatches imaginable. The source material is also used to create tiny, wonderfully crafted objets d'art, including tiny furniture, soft furnishings, interiors, clothes and shoes. Pull out colour swatches are also supplied, along with black and grey viewing panels and instructions on using these to assist you in your colour choices.

Don't miss this one, it is a real treasure!

Cinderlily: A Floral Fairy Tale
Cinderlily: A Floral Fairy Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming! (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS), 12 Sep 2013
This is a delightful re-imagining of Charles Perrault's original Cinderella tale. Written in verse and illustrated by enchanting floral characters, it would make a wonderful, quirky and enchanting addition to any little (or not quite so little) girl's bookshelf. My favourite part is where the Sultan proposes, despite the fact that Cinderlily's beauty is beginning to fade...

Drawn to Stitch
Drawn to Stitch
by Gwen Hedley

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: Drawn to Stitch (Hardcover)
This book had been on my 'want list' for ages but I had never seen in 'in the flesh' so to speak,and hadn't got around to taking the plunge. Then I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to attend a talk by Gwen Hedley, which she illustrated with slides taken from her book - the work of other artists as well as her own. The talk was fascinating and the work inspirational. The book shifted immediately to the top of my 'must have' list and I bought it right away. I'm so glad I did! I read it from cover to cover and then keep dipping back into it. Don't worry if you think you can't draw. Don't worry if you don't embroider or stitch. This book will help you with any creative process, no matter where you are starting out from. I love it, and I hope you will buy it and enjoy it just as much as I do!

Edible Seashore: River Cottage Handbook No.5
Edible Seashore: River Cottage Handbook No.5
by John Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok as far as it goes..., 26 July 2012
To be fair, I do like the style of this author. He sounds natural, and clearly has a good knowledge of his subject, but (and it is quite a big 'but') for a book about the edible seashore, I felt the section on seaweeds was both sadly lacking in information and unduly negative. I could find nothing at all about the wracks, of which there are many, and some are delicious. I also felt his comment about kombu (kelp)as a flavour enhancer and his failed "controlled experiment" on enhancing the flavour of leek and potato soup by including the kombu in the ingredients was just silly. Used in an appropriate soup kombu definitely adds a great deal to the flavour. I regularly include it in robust vegetable soups such as minestrone or winter vegetable. I don't eat meat, but have no doubt it would also work well in meat-based soups. However,leek and potato has a very specific flavour which I can well imagine would clash with the flavour of kombu. Choose your soup sensibly, and I have no doubt you will find it even more delicious with the addition of a piece of kombu.
However, there is a lot of more useful information in the book and some of the recipes sound very tasty.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2013 10:53 AM BST

The Incredible Sulk (Overcoming common problems)
The Incredible Sulk (Overcoming common problems)
by Windy Dryden

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 Dec 2011
I bought this book as I had a sulky partner (I have since left him) and, since googling about sulking became worried as it can be a really serious issue. I found the book very readable, thought provoking and helpful, useful in many areas of life, not just dealing with a sulker, as it made me think deeply about my own attitudes and responses (you can't change 'them' you can only change how you view and respond to what they do). Interestingly, the book did in fact bring about a marked reduction in my ex's sulking behaviour. Leaving it lying about as I was reading it was much more effective than anything I ever found to say about his sulking!

The Hidden Forest
The Hidden Forest
by Jeannie Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Hidden Forest (Paperback)
Jeannie Bakers work is always stunning, original and thought provoking. The beautiful picures speak to all ages and hopefully may inspire young and old to look after our beautiful and fragile planet

Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
by Diana Trout

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 6 Dec 2011
I have so many craft books, but can honestly say none has ever inspired me so much as this one. I had little fear of a blank page, or of being messy, or having to produce great art every time ( do have a blank journal, or several, though). For years, art for me has been about being playful, which is really what this book is about, so you might think, 'nothing new there then, why is this book so inspiring?' I really don't know. maybe it has something to do with Diana Trout's advice on finding the time to do stuff, breaking down activities into little chunks that you have got a few minutes for, but all I know is that as soon as I got the book, out came my favourite blank journal, which I have had for many years (more than 10) and I have put something on a page or two every day since, and have made a couple of Christmas cards inspired by Diana's ideas, too. I'm having so much fun, nothing is going to stop me journalling now!

Scandinavian Needlecraft
Scandinavian Needlecraft
by Clare Youngs

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning, 16 Mar 2011
I just bought this book and adore it already. I haven't made any projects yet as I am in the process of moving to a new area, buying a house, looking for jobs - but I can see so many ideas in this book that I can't wait to make for my new home. The instructions look clear and detailed, though I haven't personally tried to follow them. I can well imagine mixing and matching the ideas, e.g. using an embroidered motif from one project to decorate a different project from the book. So many ideas, so little time!!
By the way, I've been buying from Amazon for years and have never written a review before but had to this time, that's how great this book is.