Profile for John Brown > Reviews

Content by John Brown

John Brown "fast = fun" (Derbyshire, UK)

RAVPowerŽ Luster Mini 3000mAh Portable Charger Lipstick-Sized External Battery Pack Power Bank Charger (5V/1A Output) for iPhone 6, 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, iPod (Lightning Cable not Provided); Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, S2, Note 2; Nexus 5, Nexus 4, HTC Sensation, One X V One X V S, EVO 4G, Thunderbolt; Nokia Lumia 1020, 920 900 N9; Motorola Razr; LG Google Nexus 4 and other Android & Apple Device, Smart Phones, Tablets (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars There's no reason NOT to have one in your kit!, 8 Nov. 2014
I originally bought a bigger 15000mah unit for my video work and love it. Masses of available power, all of the ports I need and not a bad weight either. Getting a smaller pack as a backup for my lower consumption devices was a no-brainer and the little Luster Mini 3000mAh is perfect.

With a really small package it's easy to keep in my bag at all times, the punch-button power level indicator lets me keep track of usage and on size and convenience alone a few friends have said they're getting one too!

For backup for your phone, iPod or any of those smaller devices, this falls into the 'must-have' category. Get one, you won't be sorry!

Duronic 3 Port HDMI Auto Switch Box with Remote
Duronic 3 Port HDMI Auto Switch Box with Remote
Price: Ł14.13

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pleasant surprise!, 28 May 2011
Adding a new device into my kit meant I had to start swapping cables around. Using the VGA port on my HP screen simply wasn't going to give me the results I needed.
Getting this little switch was purely a test and I have to be honest I wasn't expecting too much out of this low-priced unit.

What a surprise though! The switching is swift and the results on screen are great. A colleague was sceptical of simple HDMI switches but he's also been turned around. Now my Mac Mini, Xbox360 and PS3 are all switching with the little remote.

Thanks!

Paycheck (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Paycheck (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Philip K. Dick

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a Paycheck!!, 1 April 2004
Backgrounder: I watched BladeRunner I then read 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep', the Philip K. Dick novel that the film is based on, and understood why the author was less than happy with the result. I thought I'd do the reverse with Paycheck, buy and read the book then see the movie.
The story is good, but imagine my confusion and subsequent surprise when at page 43 in the book, I got a brand new story to read!
My mistake was to take the title of the book literally, Paycheck is in the book, it's the first 42 pages, but there are some dozen or so other short stories also present. Now, I was initially a little miffed at this (after all I thought I was getting a full novel to dive into) but a collection of Mr. Dick's short stories is still well worth having.
There has been a distinct 'cashing in' on the movie to punt this book, there is no mention on the cover anywhere that this is a collection of short stories, something which I don't believe would have affected sales if it had been included.
I'm giving this 4 stars because the stories are good (a little dated perhaps but most were written in the late 1950's!) and this nullifies the surprise at the brevity of Paycheck itself.

Revenant
Revenant

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb until...... oh! so that's the end then!, 11 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Revenant (Video Game)
Superb story, billiant characterisation, the creatures test you and the quests make you think. You really become one with the character and start to feel part of the story.... until it all falls apart around your ears! What happened to the end! Run out of time to finish it properly...? Keeping us gaqging for the sequel! Argh... I was going to start again. but un-installed instead. Good if you enjoy wandering and slaying.. bad if you want to feel that you achieve anything in the end.

The Rowan (The Tower & Hive Sequence)
The Rowan (The Tower & Hive Sequence)
by Anne McCaffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 'The lady in the tower' right from the start., 5 May 2000
The Rowan is a supreme example Anne M. at her best, as with most of her books I got to know the character very well and wanted to know more. All of the Tower and Hive series follow this line but The Rowan continues to be my favorite.