Profile for Bookbuyer > Reviews

Content by Bookbuyer

Bookbuyer

The Complete Mapp & Lucia Volume One: Queen Lucia, Miss Mapp, Lucia in London (Wordsworth Classics)
by E.F. Benson

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 14 July 2013
I bought it for a friend, having read and re-read the complete canon over the years. It must be among the funniest things I have ever read.

Salter Big Button Timer
Salter Big Button Timer
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Precise Timing, 14 July 2013
We have had a succession of timers over the years. The best was a "Salter Big Time" that we bought when we lived in the US. When it finally expired after ten years (having been dropped and immersed umpteen times) I always missed the clarity and precision (time measured in seconds). I was delighted when I spotted the "Big Button" on your website and bought two. They are just what we need.

Ivanhoe (Wordsworth Classics)
Ivanhoe (Wordsworth Classics)
by Sir Walter Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars An Agreeable Surprise, 12 Oct 2012
All the Scott novels that I have read over the years have been set in Scotland and I approached "Ivanhoe" almost out of a sense of duty. I did not think I would enjoy it as much as, say, "Rob Roy", "Guy Mannering" or "Heart of Midlothian". In the event I found myself gripped. I had not expected to encounter the cast of Robin Hood in a novel about knights in armour (although it's entirely natural when you think about it) and the tense relationships between Saxons and Normans came across vividly, largely because of this juxtaposition. A very enjoyable and instructive read, not least because of its treatment of anti Semitism. I wish children were still made to read Scott novels.

Rob Roy (Wordsworth Classics)
Rob Roy (Wordsworth Classics)
by Sir Walter Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cast Of Characters, 12 Oct 2012
I liked this better than Waverley, another of Scott's novels with broadly the same setting. It was that bit pacier and the characters were more varied and amusing, especially in their interactions. The plot is typically strong although I was a little surprised that Francis Osbaldistone was the pivot around whom the plot revolves, rather than Rob Roy himself. This in no way detracts from the strength of the book; indeed, it enhances it in the sense that RR himself is able to flit in and out of the narrative very much in keeping with mysterious and fugitive nature of his character.

Waverley (English Library)
Waverley (English Library)
by Walter Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow burn, 12 Oct 2012
I'm a Scott fan but, although this novel is one of his best known, I did not think it was his best. As usual, his style is discursive and normally, once you adjust to it, this works well. On this occasion, however, I felt it was a little too laboured in terms of storyline development. That said, the plot is typically many-stranded and it all comes together well at the end. As so often with Scott, one gets as a bonus a generous slice of British politival and social history.