Profile for Ian B > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Rapesco Punch 75-P (4 Hole) - 16 Sheets Black
Rapesco Punch 75-P (4 Hole) - 16 Sheets Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Collection trays fall off too easily, 4 July 2014
Punch seems good (after single use), collecting trays fall off with ease during use, spilling contents and causing a clean-up operation.
Return to Amazon - will buy another make/model from a different supplier.

Kingston 16GB USB Drive with Premium Metal Casing
Kingston 16GB USB Drive with Premium Metal Casing
Offered by Flashmemo-Uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2014
Very compact and durable. It's attached to my keyring and it often gets used. My only problem with it is me - the number of times that I've left the house and remembered that my keys are still attached to my computer ...
Highly recommended.

August DVB-T205 USB Freeview Tuner Stick - External PC TV Card with Digital (DVB-T) Television Receiver and PVR Style Recorder - Wintv Dongle Supported by Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP for Desktop and Laptop Computer
Offered by Daffodil UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Awful, 5 May 2014
I've never been successful with these dongles, and this one is no better than the rest. Even with it connected to a rooftop aerial it has not managed to find the same set of channels more than once.
Completely useless to me. Not recommended.

Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter
Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 5 May 2014
If you've ever tried taking a group photo using a tripod and the camera's timer, and found that by the time you've hurredly got yourself into the frame ... or nearly, before the camera clicks. then this is for you. All you need is this and a smartphone with the Nikon app downloaded free-of-charge. Just set up the camera and check the viewfinder image using the phone app, shuffle a few people around a bit and then Click from the phone. Job done!
It's great fun and really practical ... and the little ones in the frame don't have time to get bored!
Highly recommended!!

Velbon DF-61 Heavy Duty Aluminium Photo/Video Tripod
Velbon DF-61 Heavy Duty Aluminium Photo/Video Tripod

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2014
Good build quality. Solid and stable in use. It has all the features I want and would expect.
Thoroughly recommended

0.42x HD Super Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye Lens for for Nikon - DSLR Cameras D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D5200, D7000, D7100, D3, D4, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D600, D700 D800E, & D800 DSLR

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as described, 5 May 2014
It's cheap but not exactly cheerful! I bought it to play around with but haven't got on with it. It's fairly solidly built and the optics seem OK to me.
Amazon's website says it fits a Nikon lens (52mm), which it does if you use the adapter ring that came with it ... but then the lens cap doesn't fit again until you remove the ring. Too much faffing about for my liking. It's a pity that Amazon doesn't mention this, after all any screw-fittinglens will fit any camera with an adapter ring! The objective end has a loose ring which rattles.
Also, attaching it to the end of my standard short zoom lens means that the beyond certain zoom levels the image becomes rectangular in the viewfinder.
Would I recommend this product? Well Yes if this is what a fisheye lens should be like, otherwise No.

Wireshark 101: Essential Skills for Network Analysis (Wireshark Solutions)
Wireshark 101: Essential Skills for Network Analysis (Wireshark Solutions)
by Gerald Combs

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 6 July 2013
Content-wise this is an excellent book for starting out with Wireshark and then moving through the more detailed usage with a step-by-step approach.
My first hurdle though was trying to correlate which colour grey in the book related to which screen colour. Wireshark makes it so easy to identify network artefacts at a glance through the use of colour, and the authour/printer could have made this book so much more usable had it been produced in colour.
Despite the greyscale printing this is one of the best intros into Wireshark that I have so far found.

USB Embedded Hosts: the Developer's Guide
USB Embedded Hosts: the Developer's Guide
by Jan Axelson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 16 Sep 2012
This is a great little book for someone trying to get their head around the practicalities of using USB at the device driver level. It's given me a good kick-start ... and has also veered me from the course that I was going along, onto a better one.
I also have Jan Axelson's "USB Complete" which I'd say is good for newbies.

BitDefender AntiVirus Plus 2013 - 3 User 1 Year
BitDefender AntiVirus Plus 2013 - 3 User 1 Year

1.0 out of 5 stars Great specification but ..., 16 Sep 2012
I bought a 3-PC licence for BD Awake three months or so ago ... and got rid of it yesterday.
Around the same time as installing it I noticed that my laptop seemed to take so much longer to launch applications.
Then I started to notice that it was taking progressively longer to start up my laptop and to get on-line. Eventually this could take in excess of twenty (20) minutes - This is no exaggeration! I also noticed that it would quietly slip out of its "AutoPilot" mode from time to time.
Most recently I noticed that connecting a particular external USB drive stopped everything from working except the mouse. Suspecting a faulty drive (well it is more than 2 years old!) I tried connecting it to a Win2K PC, a Win7 PC and an Ubuntu machine - it worked every time.
Yesterday I uninstalled BD, bought and installed a different AV, and everything is back to normal again.
In the past I have reported to BD the fact that, despite performing deep virus checks on a number of occasions, the software always told me that it had not been done for something like 51 days. BD told me that this was fixed in the next version. It isn't!
All in all I have approx 9 months remaining on my used licence plus two other licences which, quite honestly, I wouldn't give away to anyone. I've rated this '1 Star' because I can't rate it '0 star'.

Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter
Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter
Offered by HometownTV UK

1.0 out of 5 stars I won't be buying one of these then!, 15 Sep 2012
Thanks to everyone for their comments. The negative ones were enough to put me off, although when I read the product description and instead of finding eg. OS compatibility, I see that this is the "trendiest" attachment that I could buy, I did start to have doubts about buying.
Sorry Edimax, I'm not into "trendy", I'm into "compatible", "working" and "reliable".

Page: 1 | 2