Profile for Mrs. K. Milner > Reviews

Mrs. K. Milner (England)

DELIRIUM: The Rimbaud Delusion
DELIRIUM: The Rimbaud Delusion

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 1 Aug 2014
I loved this book. Its storyline twists and turns revealing the characters’ intimate lives and terrible secrets.
I‘m not a great fan of poetry but I found myself becoming fascinated and obsessed (like Andrea the MC) with the legend of the great Rimbaud. Greedily I turned the pages, eager to know more about his volatile love life, wonderful prose and whether Andrea had really discovered one of his lost masterpieces.

The book has so many delicious strands which weave together as the story grows and reaches its final and unexpected climax. If your fan of great writing, characterisation and entertaining stories – then buy this book.

Longbourn
Longbourn

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning prose, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. I thought it was a compelling peek into the underside of domestic life in the Regency Period and the fact that it was based around a household I was already familiar with, for me, gave it added interest. It was also quite thought-provoking seeing such well known characters in a different and sometimes harsher light. In appearance, the young Bennet ladies were like fine swans who needed their sparse servants to paddle and toil for them so they could appear serene and unruffled on the surface. The plot was well paced, and the goings-on below more than matched, and sometimes outshone, the dramas above. The small details of the maids' harsh life such as blisters and chilblains brought the story and characters to life. The prose was beautiful and so in tune with its period and cast. Sometimes I just had to stop and reread lines because the writing was so delicious. I will most definitely seek out other works by this very gifted writer.

The Husband
The Husband

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pacing, 23 July 2013
This review is from: The Husband (Kindle Edition)
Intensity is probably my all time favourite Koontz novel and in pacing, this book gets very close to it. It's an easy read with some great twists and turns that keep you turning the pages at speed. I wasn't terrified (as I was reading Intensity) but I was entertained.

Character wise, I thought the protagonist's parents and brother were great creations and very chilling. Looking forward to some more fast-paced action, Mr Koontz!

Bad Moon Rising (#1 - D.I. Paolo Storey Crime Series)
Bad Moon Rising (#1 - D.I. Paolo Storey Crime Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 23 July 2013
This is a fast-paced crime thriller which takes you straight into the black heart of a warped killer. I thought the plotting was excellent and very original. I'm usually quite good at figuring out whodunit but I didn't have a clue as to the perpetrator's identity until the very end.

The dialogue is snappy and the writer has a knack for bringing the written character to life. I particularly enjoyed spending time with the lead detective, Paolo Storey. Despite Paolo being deeply hurt in his personal life, his compassion and sensitivity still manage to shine through and I couldn't help rooting for him as the novel reached its terrifying climax.

I can imagine this book being turned into a film or a TV serial as it would certainly have the viewers on the edge of their seats. I look forward to reading much more from this crime writer.

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors
by Jj Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality writing, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
If you are looking for a quality crime novel and an entertaining read, then you can't go wrong with this book. The narrative was silky smooth with expertly depicted settings and I loved the little insights into the subtle cultural differences between Britain and Zurich.

The lead detective, Beatrice Stubbs, is fresh and original and her team of detectives are all believable and well-rounded.

The plot kept me guessing until the end with enough peril to keep the most hardened crime reader glued to the page. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Dark Heart: The Purgatory of Leo Stamp
Dark Heart: The Purgatory of Leo Stamp
by Darren J. Guest

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling Read, 19 July 2011
From the start to the finish, I couldn't put this book down. I was enthralled by the story of Leo Stamp and eagerly followed the many twists and turns his life took. The concept of a 'dark heart' is brilliant and the fast paced plot rewards with many surprises and by keeping you in suspense right up to the last page.For fans of great dark thriller writers such as Koontz, this is a must read as it's right up there with the best.I can't wait for this author to write his next book.

My Demon
My Demon

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling twists and turns, 20 Jun 2011
This review is from: My Demon (Kindle Edition)
This is a fast paced read that grabs your attention right from the start and doesn't let go until the very end. As I weaved through the stories chilling twists and turns, it had me sitting on the edge of my seat.

The demon, Clive, wants his way and is determined that the young MC, Alex, will help him. It is only when Alex starts to question his motivations that he shows his true colours. The consequences are dire and Alex is in danger of losing everyone she has ever loved.

Brilliant storytelling that stayed with me long after I finished the book.

22 britannia road
22 britannia road
by Amanda Hodgkinson
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional roller coaster; brilliant., 29 April 2011
This review is from: 22 britannia road
This book is remarkable. I found myself getting lost in its pages as the tragic story of a Polish family, torn apart by war, unfolded.
After being separated for six years, Janusz and Silvana are finally reunited in England. They are both eager to rebuild their relationship but life has not been kind to either them and their young son, Aurek, is all but wild.

Silvana carries a dark secret that torments her soul and wakes her at night. While Janusz hides his own secrets and regrets. I could not stop reading; I needed to know whether love would triumph or if the past was too heavy a burden for this family to carry.
A real page turner, cleverly plotted and beautifully written. I highly recommended it.

The Stiletto Heel and Other Stories
The Stiletto Heel and Other Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 19 Mar 2011
I loved these stories. This author tantalises as she leads you into her very clever, sexy stories which climax in wonderful twists. I will definitely look out for more from Ms Scott, she's fab.

Bufflehead Sisters
Bufflehead Sisters
by Patricia J Delois

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 5 Aug 2009
This review is from: Bufflehead Sisters (Paperback)
From the start I was captivated by the character of Sophie. While Janet, her bufflehead sister, is dealt a good hand in life, Sophie most definitely is not. Though she becomes somewhat unbalanced, I couldn't help but like Sophie. I found her to be brave, honest, and dangerous (mostly to herself).

This is not a book for the faint-hearted as the author deals with many emotive subjects, but it is a book that makes you think. Mostly it makes you think about relationships, questioning what is appropriate and what is not.
The whole read is riveting and I found it practically impossible to put down. Now, I'm waiting impatiently for the sequel